Anybody have a recipe for energy/health bars that they can recommend please?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking for a recommendation for a simple recipe for energy/health bars as I really don't like the ones you buy.

I have Googled and there are lots but I was wondering if anybody has one they can recommend. Not fussy about which ingredients as not following any diet such as low carb etc. but don't really like sugar.

Simple and easy is good as I am not very domesticated.

Thank you.

Do you like baking and that kinda thing?

If so, the process to make an energy bar is pretty much straight forward and the sizing of portions after baking also highly adaptable.

Second questions what flavours do you like?

Once you decided on that follow the instructions here, without adding the sugar, the honey and butter alone is more than plenty. http://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/homemade-granola-bars.html

I've adapted this for my and the rest of the family tastes.

Enjoy

Thank you to all for suggestions and recipes. I shall be trying them out. Much appreciated.

Do you like baking and that kinda thing?

If so, the process to make an energy bar is pretty much straight forward and the sizing of portions after baking also highly adaptable.

Second questions what flavours do you like?

Once you decided on that follow the instructions here, without adding the sugar, the honey and butter alone is more than plenty. http://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/homemade-granola-bars.html

I've adapted this for my and the rest of the family tastes.

Enjoy

This looks great and simple enough for even me to follow ????

Quick question, can I leave out the salt?

This looks great and simple enough for even me to follow

I don't know much about cooking, BUT. you never, never NEVER leave out the salt.

NEVER

There is a local crowd who make custom bars for you... I have their details if you want them.

There is a local crowd who make custom bars for you... I have their details if you want them.

Thank you, I would appreciate it if I could get their details.

If you like fruit cake try buying a fruit cake mixture, add a couple nuts. My wife then cooks them as miniature muffins (bite size) and sticks them in an ice cream tub in the freezer. Depending on the length of the ride I simply grab a couple / few and stick them in a small zip lock type bag. They defrost in the first hour and are easy to digest. 

Edited by ricochet_rabbit

Absolutely, however, I have learnt over the years that a pinch of salt "tempers" the sweetness of honey and chocolate, which could be advantages if strong sweet flavours are not what you are after, just the kick.

Salt is the business.... don't leave it out.

I am about to prepare all my EA food and one of the key front pouch staples is home made energy bars/crunchies.

I throw in dates, almonds, oats, honey, peanut butter and some binding and slowly bake them. They come out not hard but not soggy.

I equate them to Lembas bread... 2 small pieces and I can climb mountains!

You really do need the salt, from an electrolyte replacement perspective.

+ 1 for Farbar. the new apple, pear and cinnamon tastes like Christmas.

They're also really simple on ingredients so there's no rubbish hiding in there.

Edit: sorry, I know thats not a recipe..

Edited by CBlake

Salt is the business.... don't leave it out.

I am about to prepare all my EA food and one of the key front pouch staples is home made energy bars/crunchies.

I throw in dates, almonds, oats, honey, peanut butter and some binding and slowly bake them. They come out not hard but not soggy.

I equate them to Lembas bread... 2 small pieces and I can climb mountains!

binding? what do you use?