YT Jeffsy 29 Owners

tcarthew

I tested a large Jeffsy AL 29 over the weekend. Liked the bike, but at 1.72m it was way to big for me. Had to ride with the dropper half way in just to fit.

Also tested a Trek Fuel EX in my size which I loved! I was way more comfortable on that and as result much faster.... great bike! The Trek is expensive though in comparison to the deals that are currently being offered on 2016 Jeffsy’s.

I want to love the Jeffsy, but without trying it in a medium it’s difficult.

Are there perhaps any guys in Cape Town, Durbanville area that would be willing to give me a quick go on their medium? I’ll throw in some beers

Sjoe... At 1.72 you should try a small.

I am 1.75 and rode a small Jeffsy. It was perfect with a 70mm stem.

It's a trail bike, so it doesn't need a 40mm stem as it is supposed to climb well and descend well.

You could ride the best bike in the world that is too big for you and prefer a better fitting mid range bike every time.

@Hairy. I rode in the tall setting, didn't see the point so switched it back to the low setting and never changed it again.

The only time I would do it would be if I was doing a Loooong race. But I wouldn't so it seemed a silly thing on a trail bike.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sjoe... At 1.72 you should try a small.

I am 1.75 and rode a small Jeffsy. It was perfect with a 70mm stem.

It's a trail bike, so it doesn't need a 40mm stem as it is supposed to climb well and descend well.

You could ride the best bike in the world that is too big for you and prefer a better fitting mid range bike every time.

@Hairy. I rode in the tall setting, didn't see the point so switched it back to the low setting and never changed it again.

The only time I would do it would be if I was doing a Loooong race. But I wouldn't so it seemed a silly thing on a trail bike.

Nope, never bothered with high

Shotto

Had to ask!

Was hoping it would help a little with pedal strikes as I am not prepared to purchase a shorter length crank arm at the stage.

On my old Spitty, and under the recommendation of the Savage (Not the roadie Savage!!!) I changed it from low to neutral, and the bike really came alive, the BB increased ever so slightly to reduce pedal strikes and the bike just ripped .... and then it also cracked :(

Shotto

Had to ask!

Was hoping it would help a little with pedal strikes as I am not prepared to purchase a shorter length crank arm at the stage.

On my old Spitty, and under the recommendation of the Savage (Not the roadie Savage!!!) I changed it from low to neutral, and the bike really came alive, the BB increased ever so slightly to reduce pedal strikes and the bike just ripped .... and then it also cracked :(

Instead of that, my advice would be to save up get a second hand M/M tuned double can Monarch.

That absolutely transformed Jeffsy for me. Stiffened up the pedal platform and gave the suspension platform a really good, bottomless feeling on the descents.

Switching low to high is a 5 minute trail side job, so maybe give it a try? You've got nothing to lose.... 

Instead of that, my advice would be to save up get a second hand M/M tuned double can Monarch.

That absolutely transformed Jeffsy for me. Stiffened up the pedal platform and gave the suspension platform a really good, bottomless feeling on the descents.

Switching low to high is a 5 minute trail side job, so maybe give it a try? You've got nothing to lose.... 

That really dodgy Mezzzooooo dude is selling one of those in that tune!

hahahaha Super dodgy!

Ja... IMHO that takes the bike to another level of radness

Shotto

Had to ask!

surely you can't be pedal striking from riding the BRT ?

if you really really really really really really keen...

come fetch it, pay me when you ready!

but you have to be really really really really really keen

if you really really really really really really keen...

come fetch it, pay me when you ready!

but you have to be really really really really really keen

Thanks for the offer, but I have a couple of "other things" I need to bash out right now ... but may contact you privately ASAP if I can commit

I also struggled with pedal strike on the Jeffsy, even my 26" Trance was better. But with time my technique change slightly and don't strike nearly as much. 

Like the others said, never bothered with the high setting... just add some crank boots

Shotto

Had to ask!

High setting will definitely help with pedal strikes. I must admit that the number of pedal strikes was also noticeable for me on the Jeffsy but it’s probably to be expected in that setting.

The bike I have now has a higher than normal BB which apparently has some drawbacks when cornering but to be honest I notice the absence of pedal strikes much more than I do any loss of cornering abilities

Shotto

Had to ask!

Hi, When I got my Jeffsy it was in the high setting and rode like that for quite a while.. Later switched to low and got the pedal strikes quite often but eventually better at riding in low.

So yes, it should help with the pedal strikes but the bike feels "taller".. You can always switch between the 2 settings on the trails and test. Found out later that you can switch without removing the shock.. :mellow:

• 2 months later...

Looking at the Jeffsy 29 (not that there's stock available atm, but anyway).

1.73m tall, so kinda in between a medium and large, can't decide on size. According to the geo chart numbers I think the medium (reach 425) would be too short and the large (reach 445) would fit me better.

Rode a friends Fuel Ex 7 size Large (reach 470) and it felt good, the medium felt a little too short. Also rode a Levo SL and there the large felt a bit too stretched, while the medium felt better, even though the Levo SL's charts (meduim reach 435, large reach 455)  show a shorter reach than the Fuel Ex, which is a bit weird and confusing to me. Could be due to different stem lengths and handlebar widths.

Looking at the Jeffsy 29 (not that there's stock available atm, but anyway).

1.73m tall, so kinda in between a medium and large, can't decide on size. According to the geo chart numbers I think the medium (reach 425) would be too short and the large (reach 445) would fit me better.

Rode a friends Fuel Ex 7 size Large (reach 470) and it felt good, the medium felt a little too short. Also rode a Levo SL and there the large felt a bit too stretched, while the medium felt better, even though the Levo SL's charts (meduim reach 435, large reach 455)  show a shorter reach than the Fuel Ex, which is a bit weird and confusing to me. Could be due to different stem lengths and handlebar widths.

I am 1.78m on a large with a 50mm stem ... I could be a little longer for me, but is lekker to play on. At 1.73m you have the luxury of also fitting a shorter stem should you need to.

Has anyone tried a 650b wheel at the back? Would probably need to put the flip chip in the high position to make up for the resulting bb drop.