WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Bradley and CSA doing such good work!

thank you Patch.

this is the perfect example of CSA dragging its feet doing stuff all with one of South Africa's most talented cyclists.

Jean - kudos to you hanging it tough!

“Cycling South Africa... The original track gangsters... So last week Jean Spies and Claudia Gnudi were fined by CSA for not buying Anatomic national team kit but instead having replica kit made by their kit sponsor. Now I've seen this before at Road World Champs where people wore replica kit made by the manufacturer of their trade team kit. There was no action taken against those riders. Today CSA is refusing to enter Jean Spies into the Track World Champs even though he travelled the world at his own expense and qualified at his own expense until he pays his fine regarding the kit... Crooks I tell you. Instead of helping athletes be all they can be CSA keeps creating barriers to entry. When will CSA show us this deal they did with Anatomic that benefits nobody because athletes have to pay for the kit anyway. How did they win this tender to be exclusive kit suppliers without actually giving the sport anything. Unless there's payments we don't know about to CSA. Reminds me of the Cycle 100 race last year that was a UCI race on the UCI calendar and CSA was complicit in helping the race organiser extort money from riders for an event they should never have paid an entry fee for in the first place. I recall challenging Mike Bradley the general manager on this and he wasn't sure of the rules in the first place so after consulting the UCI I got a firm answer. Once challenged the women's race UCI status was withdrawn because in accordance with the UCI rules I refused to pay an entry fee for a UCI event... That's how CSA rolls... Thugs claiming they're doing it for the good of the sport... Riders... You will continue to be screwed by your federation if you don't make yourself heard...”

https://www.facebook.com/521057406/posts/10155752436387407/

“Cycling South Africa... The original track gangsters... So last week Jean Spies and Claudia Gnudi were fined by CSA for not buying Anatomic national team kit but instead having replica kit made by their kit sponsor. Now I've seen this before at Road World Champs where people wore replica kit made by the manufacturer of their trade team kit. There was no action taken against those riders. Today CSA is refusing to enter Jean Spies into the Track World Champs even though he travelled the world at his own expense and qualified at his own expense until he pays his fine regarding the kit... Crooks I tell you. Instead of helping athletes be all they can be CSA keeps creating barriers to entry. When will CSA show us this deal they did with Anatomic that benefits nobody because athletes have to pay for the kit anyway. How did they win this tender to be exclusive kit suppliers without actually giving the sport anything. Unless there's payments we don't know about to CSA. Reminds me of the Cycle 100 race last year that was a UCI race on the UCI calendar and CSA was complicit in helping the race organiser extort money from riders for an event they should never have paid an entry fee for in the first place. I recall challenging Mike Bradley the general manager on this and he wasn't sure of the rules in the first place so after consulting the UCI I got a firm answer. Once challenged the women's race UCI status was withdrawn because in accordance with the UCI rules I refused to pay an entry fee for a UCI event... That's how CSA rolls... Thugs claiming they're doing it for the good of the sport... Riders... You will continue to be screwed by your federation if you don't make yourself heard...”

You're right Patchelicious, with this action/stance they are taking, they're actually impeding the reasonable development of cycling. Time again for torches and pikes!

How sucky. What did Eddy the Eagle do?

Some sports bodies dont deserve to represent said sport. There has to be a different way. How about contacting the minister of sport?

Bloody sad story again, the kit saga is actually symptomatic of what CSA is NOT doing for competitive Elite cyclists. Since they have to pay for their own for everything why would they then be forced to buy kit that they do not want.

Shyte story indeed. 

Just one more reason why a lot of the elite riders wait it out in order for them to compete at Vet and Master level, less interference from CSA and having more say with the money you have. 

To be fair the Training Peaks inititiave is pro-active move. CSA Coaching has performed some good work in sorting that side out. Like the Schools Series though it seems to be ring fenced (ie protected) within the greater organisational structure. 

The gravel thing however just seems to smack of old school bureaucracy. It isn't defined as yet on the site under the cycling rules: https://www.cyclingsa.com/rules-and-regulations/

Would think that would be a priority before telling organisers about sanctioning. 

No doubt though some will call this 'CSA Bashing' and even thrown in a cute hashtag like #stopmoaning 

No doubt they will have a vested interest in the body, commercial or otherwise.

How does one activate this discount?

Bloody sad story again, the kit saga is actually symptomatic of what CSA is NOT doing for competitive Elite cyclists. Since they have to pay for their own for everything why would they then be forced to buy kit that they do not want.

Shyte story indeed. 

Just one more reason why a lot of the elite riders wait it out in order for them to compete at Vet and Master level, less interference from CSA and having more say with the money you have. 

Agree with this. Then many "conti" teams are smashing youngsters dreams and hopes of hopefully turning pro one day because of the lies of people

I just remember when we were all in that room for Commonwealth Trials - o yes we cant fund anything but we will be there supporting you all the way and at the event

Edited by BarneyZA

Agree with this. Then many "conti" teams are smashing youngsters dreams and hopes of hopefully turning pro one day because of the lies of people

I just remember when we were all in that room for Commonwealth Trials - o yes we cant fund anything but we will be there supporting you all the way and at the event

I was there in the very same room ... 

I'd like to hear Jenny Rissveds take on this. Anyone remember that saga?

Its not so much CSa, its just the nature of bureaucracy. Throw in some personalities that smaak a power trip and you end up with stone walls of inconvenience.

Last week I was browsing through the last years Ride booklet at my bike shop. One of the articles covered how CSA are working on been more transparent and supporting cyclists, event's etc. Come 2019 same old same old, in fact they have become worse. Threats, stubborn, self importance and unwillingness to change. The saying goes a new broom sweeps clean, CSA proves this wrong. 

Edited by scotty

I'm so gatvol of the people (supposed to be) running the region I belong to, that I've even told our race director that he needs to find someone else to deal with them. It's taken since early November to get our event on the calendar and it's still not done (despite numerous promises and more). 

The think how many cappuccinos I can buy for the cost of membership and a licence, I'd much rather just ride my bike and deal with the crap my mates give me.

Last week I was browsing through the last years Ride booklet at my bike shop. One of the articles covered how CSA are working on been more transparent and supporting cyclists, event's etc. Come 2019 same old same old, in fact they have become worse. Threats, stubborn, self importance and unwillingness to change. The saying goes a new broom sweeps clean, CSA proves this wrong. 

The one with the unnamed author? I remember that piece. 

There were some fair comments made, but overall felt it came over as somewhat churlish.