Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paid some more school fees when the VF front runners jumped on Witkoppen and I was caught napping in what at the time was a big bunch mixed with some of the leading juniors, but managed to chase some of them back down before the turn but by then 5 had gotten off the front never to be seen again. Ended 11th in group in 2:40 which although a bit below my target, is still 2 minutes faster than last year so all in all a good day out. Then took a few minutes to refuel and reload bottles and then joined group JJ for a more relaxed social lap.

PS! Was good to meet Lurch at the start line. Hope your leg held out?

Was that the crash in one of the later (think kk) start groups just before entering Kyalami?

Yes, AFAIK. We don't have much details at this stage

Mate and myself rode on BMX’s today, started out of D, any of you guys out there happen to see us? Ended on just under 4:30, far off our usual 2:40 race times, but we had an absolute blast out there!! And beers, we had lots of beers en route

yeah spotted two crazies on bmx's.  got a guy on a single speed mtb at kyalami - looked like a very small chainring.  i can not imagine how the guys in the cow costumes were dealing with the heat at the end...

i liked the race, lots of little climbs and fast downhills.  the scenery though, is awful.  not much to distract you from the pain.

the racetec results have disappeared for the moment.

edit: it doesn't appear under the results page tab, but if you put in your name, the race shows up there.  weird.

Edited by billygoat0523

Did my first(and probably my last) Double Lap with the Qhubeka charity.

The whole DL batch started extremely fast, was in pain all the way till the M1 where the pace matched my abilities. A Batch leaders caught us at Nelson Mandela Bridge and I knew we were in deep #* as guys will jump onto that. Got duly dropped on one of the steeper climbs and basically solo to a 2h55,which is a Pb despite the section added to the start.

2nd lap was a whole different experience. Felt so bad for all those people who were going to spend 6 hours or more in that sun! Saw 2 pretty serious crashes about 20m in front of me, very lucky in the end to have avoided any collateral. Had plenty of pain in the legs the middle 3rd but luckily refueled properly at one of the stops to get home in 3h47,which I am happy with considering the conditions.

The start layout definitely worked for me, don't know how things went in the middle batches.

Kudos to the organizers.

What an awesomely organized event as usual. Rode with with a mate who took 24 minutes of his time last year,which is a brilliant achievement,although the goal was sub 3.we didn’t miss it very much at all.

Love the full road closure & the diversity of the riders . Good day out

Somebody I know took 90+ minutes off her time from last year. I was super impressed.

Rookie85's comments about the DL start is very accurate.

My ITB didn't hold up too well and I got spat out the back just before turning into the R55 and just couldn't hold with any of the passing bunches so pretty much solo from there.

Got back in 3:21 and opted to visit the physio instead of start the double lap.

Was disappointing I couldn't get back around to help the charity bunch, but I stuck around in the hospitality area for our charity and got to see them come home after quite a lot of bad luck on the road with punctures and such. 

I was actually commenting to somebody that it was quite nice being there so late in the day for a change and seeing the elation of those who are not regular cyclists just being elated to finish. Very different to get in, ride like a bat out hell, and then get out, followed by us complaining about shaving off seconds. :P

I had an absolutely horrible race. Right from the start I felt as if I did not have any strength, I also just could not find my rythm. And I have never cramped so much ever since i started cycling in 2001! I had to stop to be massaged at the water point at about 80km. The young lady could not believe how much my muscles cramped! Stopping there to be massaged actually turned out to be a good thing, becuase I then rode to the finish without any further cramps and I never felt the need to get off and push the bike.

At the end I sat down to drink the cold Coke, and complettely passed out when I wanted to get up! I just saw stars and went down like a log. I woke up to a lot of concerened faces hovering over me. asking if I'm ok. My bike fell over onto the tar and my cellphone fell onto the pavement. I had to sit there for quite a while before I could get up to walk to my son's car. My back muscles then went into spasms and I got cold fever while we were driving back to Sasolburg.

At home I immediately took a warm bath to get rid of the shaking from the cold fever. But, 947 no 13 is now done and dusted even though it was in a terrible time of 05:12! This morning my legs are still very stiff ond sore from the cramping, and I'll just take it slow today. 

Congrats to all that achieved their time targets and got their PBs! :clap:

Edited by Jaco Steyn

I had a good day on the bike.

I had no pressure to deliver a good time and went out to ride hard, ride smart and enjoy.

Today I did my best time since my big crash in ghandi square 2014.

Todays milestone is not my time but the fact that I managed a 3 hour plus ride without the refered pain down my right leg due to my lower back injury from my big crash.

It has been a very long road to recovery and there was plenty days when I felt like giving up. But days like today is makes up for all of it.

Well done, good to hear you enjoyed the ride!!

Not having done it last year this was the first time doing Kyalami and not riding the inner Jhb route so welcome change there. Now if only they can find a way to eliminate the uphills in Steyn City

I had an absolutely horrible race. Right from the start I felt as if I did not have any strength, I also just could not find my rythm. And I have never cramped so much ever since i started cycling in 2001! I had to stop to be massaged at the water point at about 80km. The young lady could not believe how much my muscles cramped! Stopping there to be massaged actually turned out to be a good thing, becuase I then rode to the finish without any further cramps and I never felt the need to get off and push the bike.

At the end I sat down to drink the cold Coke, and complettely passed out when I wanted to get up! I just saw stars and went down like a log. I woke up to a lot of concerened faces hovering over me. asking if I'm ok. My bike fell over onto the tar and my cellphone fell onto the pavement. I had to sit there for quite a while before I could get up to walk to my son's car. My back muscles then went into spasms and I got cold fever while we were driving back to Sasolburg.

At home I immediately took a warm bath to get rid of the shaking from the cold fever. But, 947 no 13 is now done and dusted even though it was in a terrible time of 05:12! This morning my legs are still very stiff ond sore from the cramping, and I'll just take it slow today. 

Congrats to all that achieved their time targets and got their PBs! :clap:

Wow that sounds like it was torture, well done for finishing.

Maybe it was an unlucky 13

Hope you recover quick and there is nothing serious wrong or injuries

the racetec results have disappeared for the moment.

edit: it doesn't appear under the results page tab, but if you put in your name, the race shows up there. weird.

Mine even dissapeard from my profile. No result at all

Comparing my overall position to 2015 I was chuffed to see I moved up about 2000 places  then I noticed there were 2000 less finishers this year.  :angry:

I noticed last night that the finishers fluctuated between me looking at my result versus going and checking the overall result (admittedly it was only about 200 or so) and the number looks different this morning again (though now the number under my result matches the overall result at 19205)