SKF Bearings

brad890

Hey all.

A bit of help from those who know.

How do SKF bearings stack up for replacing the sealed bearings in a rear wheel.

Managed to source some from a bearing shop near me, access to bike stores is limited (75km to nearest) hence the question.

I've used SKF bearings for various bikes, motorbikes, karts, trailers etc over the years. Never had a single issue, and IMO probably 10X better than anything installed as OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used SKF bearings for various bikes, motorbikes, karts, trailers etc over the years. Never had a single issue, and IMO probably 10X better than anything installed as OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buy the photo!

Check the ABEC level of the bearings. Industrial bearing tend to be a lower spec than bicycle bearings. The higher the number the smaller the imperfections.

ie: An ABEC 9 bearing is smoother than an ABEC 5 bearing.

Top end roller blades, skateboards and bicycles usually use higher end bearings where industrial bearings are usually ABEC 1.

Doesn't mean they won't work, or that you'll even be able to notice the difference.

Just some info.

Check the ABEC level of the bearings. Industrial bearing tend to be a lower spec than bicycle bearings. The higher the number the smaller the imperfections.

ie: An ABEC 9 bearing is smoother than an ABEC 5 bearing.

Top end roller blades, skateboards and bicycles usually use higher end bearings where industrial bearings are usually ABEC 1.

Doesn't mean they won't work, or that you'll even be able to notice the difference.

Just some info.

I've read up quite a bit in the last while regarding the ABEC ratings and application thereof for bicycles.

The conclusion most guys get to as that the RPM we use the bearings at is so slow that the ABEC rating makes no difference whatsoever. You'll only notice the difference at like 20000rpm and higher

SKF make many different quality bearings. We use SKF(and others depending who has the contract to supply) on wheels of the aircraft. These are obviously very different to the bearing you would find on a driveway gate wheel(just an extreme opposite for the example). Before working here I used to work on much smaller aircraft and most of the well known brands had an aircraft range(I am sure its usually a normal bearing but just more expensive). Harvards for eg can use a cheap common bearing from timken.

So it all depends on what you look for in the bearing. needle vs roller, sealed, ceramic, etc etc

I've read up quite a bit in the last while regarding the ABEC ratings and application thereof for bicycles.

The conclusion most guys get to as that the RPM we use the bearings at is so slow that the ABEC rating makes no difference whatsoever. You'll only notice the difference at like 20000rpm and higher

Well then, time to pedal faster i guess.  :eek:

SKF, NSK  FAG in my option are the best, better than enduro and last longer, for the amount to work you do replacing them worth putting in the best you can find