Cyclist down between Hazyview & Graskop

Tatt

And to think he survived a hit and run only a few weeks ago!

RIP Greg, the cycling community just lost a titan.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So very glad they have caught the driver, and now only hope he/she faces the full entent of a criminal charge.

Have they found the driver/murderer/coward though? Based on the original article it seems like they've just identified the unfortunate cyclist. Tragic.

As far as prosecution goes this assumes they'll actually make an effort and catch them.

Edited by MakeSpaceForTuna

Have they found the driver/murderer/coward though? Based on the original article it seems like they've just identified the unfortunate cyclist. Tragic.

As far as prosecution goes this assumes they'll actually make an effort and catch them.

Apparently, they caught the driver.

Edited by DA\/ID

So so sad!! Truly a great South African athlete! A world champion in his age category amongst the very many accolades he boasts. I never met someone who loved to ride and race his bike as much as he did. I will miss you Greg... breathing down my neck and passing me on the top of every climb. What an honour to ride with you for the last few years. God be with your family at this time. Cycle in peace buddy 

That bloody driver that fled the scene, probably went home and sobered up then turned themselves in. FFS. The penalty for fleeing the scene is nothing compared to drunk driving. 

Strongs to the family

Condolences to Greg's family & friends

So angry every time I read something like this - seems when the roads are quiet early on weekend mornings that is actually the most dangerous time to be out there with those cruel drunk drivers roaming around

That bloody driver that fled the scene, probably went home and sobered up then turned themselves in. FFS. The penalty for fleeing the scene is nothing compared to drunk driving. 

Strongs to the family

The driver is a MURDERER. Not by South African Law but by the results of his/her ACTIONS. Make me sick to hear of ANOTHER sad loss of a life which was 100% PREVENTABLE but for the actions of one criminal coward. FFS  :cursing:

Condolences to Greg's family & friends.

Quick question - the ER24 band on the seat post - was that perhaps linked to his personal details? Do the paramedics know to look for something like this?

RIP. Terrible news. Always makes me fume reading these stories. Some sort of any further info would be great. We need to as a community make sure that these cases are followed up. 

Condolences to Greg's family & friends.

Quick question - the ER24 band on the seat post - was that perhaps linked to his personal details? Do the paramedics know to look for something like this?

I would not take the chance. I wear my Sweat Safe band on my wrist (to make sure there are no delays in getting an ambulance to me or discussions about where to send me) and have all my details and emergency contact details in my saddle bag. I am a pretty new cyclist, so thought this would be standard practice. I have now ordered an Ice ID too. 

Heartfelt condolences and thoughts to Gregs family. I cannot even imagine how they begin to cope with this.

It is unbelievable that something like this can even occur, and that it is an ongoing occurrence in SA with nothing seemingly done about it. Despite the anger expressed by previous posters I fear that once again nothing will come of it and we will just wait for the next one. We require a massive cultural, behavourial and mindset change in our actions and attitudes towards each other and our related behavior. I am not sure where to even start with this but I hope that this unnecessary and cruel death can perhaps be a start of something in this direction.

My thoughts are with Gregs family and loved ones.