Braai etiket...

The expat cyclist

So it looks like I won't be braai'ing on Christmas day. The missus and I will be spending the day with family, and there's a gammon that's been ordered, along with a leg of lamb, curry and rice, and lasagne. So New Years day will be our next braai day.

...and what will you do in the days between Christmas and New Years? Eat left-overs? :whistling:  :clap:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the consensus on spicing your meat ?

Before - at least an hour or more.

During - when you busy cremating said meat.

Or only after when eating ?

I spice one side of the meat, roughly 10 minutes before marrying it to the grid, and then spice the other side once the meat is turned over the first time. If I'm feeling less lazy, I spice both sides before putting the meat on the braai.

That might not be the best advice as I started to get into braai'ing in 2015.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

...and what will you do in the days between Christmas and New Years? Eat left-overs? :whistling: :clap:

Possibly. It'll be kitchen cooked foodies until then, lol.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I use the Cobb often when we go camping. Will be making smoked chicken pieces for the 25th in it

j7st love the Cobb. Can do so much with it. Pulled smoked brisket was awesome

Any of you guys ever used a Cobb cooker? It does a superb, hassle-free roast.

Ive got one. Never been opened. Looks sooo intimidating.

I need to contact you okes.

Anything is better in a webber. I just thought maybe one day when I own a house I should have ne built into the kitchen.

That is just a brilliant idea!!!

So here's the planning:

Friday 22/12: "Stokkie hoender" (the local P&P does deboned thighs on sticks - just delicious)

Sat 23/12: Family coming. Pork neck rolls.

Sun 24/12: Whole shebang... First whole leg of lamb, then some chicken pieces (this is all for Christmas Day picnic) and then Barney Steaks for supper.

Mon 25/12: Picnic somewhere in the mountains around with cold leg o' lamb, chicken and tongue, and various lads.

(Oh, and all of the above, in The Webber...)

Ive got one. Never been opened. Looks sooo intimidating.

I need to contact you okes.

It's a lot like the Weber.

When we go camping one night is usually Cobb night.

Light your coal and get it lekker warm.

Put some veggies and onions (lekker uiwe!) in the channel next to the coal.

Put a Whole chicken on top of the coal with the drip tray between the coal and Kwêvoël.

When it stops sizzling and chatting you are pretty much ready to serve. Check it occasionally and use your judgement to stop it from drying out.

Serve chickon with the veggies en uiwe!

Sien, dis eintlik maklik.

Much better than in the oven but it is a long process, first I boil it in beers and ciders then into the Webber, with a honey, bourbon and mustard glaze

Whats the consensus on spicing your meat ?

Before - at least an hour or more.

During - when you busy cremating said meat.

Or only after when eating ? 

If you spice it well 4-5 days before, and leave it hanging, you dont even have to braai it.... 

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/022/138/reece.JPG

OK, Go on..Share the recipe

light Cobb with 1 cup liquid in moat. Salt, pepper, paprika on brisket. When cobb ready put some soaked woodchips on coals - i sommer use green lemon twigs about as thick as a thumb - put on grillgrid and toasting rack, dome on , heat for a few minutes. Place brisket on rack, smoke to your liking. Depending on size i smoke for 1.5 - 2 hrs. Wrap meat in foil and bake till meat reaally tender. May need to add brickets.