Contador to Retire

shaper

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is about AC retirement NOT Doping so refrain from doping posts

Well maybe Contador should have thought about that before he cheated.

Edit: Transitive relation. (Finally I have found a real world use for something that I was taught in school!!!)

Edited by Patchelicious

Well can we fairly separate the two?

I think not. Certainly no hero worshipping should be warranted for a convicted doper.

Mmm wonder who trek will replace him with they have a couple if promising GT riders. But will they go for a big name.. Aru or Landa maybe (don't think I have read anything about Landa's plans..besides the Movistar link)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hey now, no need to get all worked up about it. He was caught doping, it will forever be part of his cycling career.

Faboys gonna fanboy.

I will miss el Pistolero... His ability to mash all the wrong gears and still drop people should get an hour slot on Mythbusters.

With regards the doping... I just assume everyone is/has/does dope so they are all tjops. Some are just slightly less tjoppish than others.

Berto was one of the better ones IMO. (I still have bright yellow Phonak kit in memory of uncle Floyd and his tears and quietly giggle in admiration of Raccardo Ricco and his brazen drug usage, so really, I am not a very reliable point of reference..)

El Pistolero served his ban.

Paid the price.

Let's remember the cool stuff about this quiet-spoken grimpeur legend dancer of a climber.

El Pistolero served his ban.

Paid the price.

Let's remember the cool stuff about this quiet-spoken grimpeur legend dancer of a climber.

Yip and his had his fair share of karma too, I think he has paid his dues, all those crashes..particularly the year when he broke his leg..damn he was in fine form.

As mentioned earlier, he is giving back so much to young cyclist. .has a great program going.

I will probably end up crying every time I see Bert on the screen during the Vuelta..he will No1 during the Vuelta..too much emotion

Let's get some perspective on El Berto's doping 'conviction'? as I remember the final report said he would not not benefited in any way from such a small dose of Clenbuterol, but it was his excuse story that fell flat.

And many other cyclists and athletes have been cleared when tested for similar doses of Clen (ie Mick Rogers)

I don't even think you can compare him to that pathological liar LA who's doping was on an industrial scale and who's abuse of trust should never be forgotten of forgiven imho.

True, that miniscule amount of clen would have no benefit at that late stage in the Tour. However, how it got there was the question. The steak story was rather dumb. Remember he was tested every day and then had the positive after the rest day. So, the most plausible theory is that the clen came into his system along with some new blood he topped up over the rest day.

He did dope, it was rather obvious. After he came back from his ban he never got back to being the El pistelero of old. Absolutely destroying every one on the climbs. I'll never forget that 2008 Giro. Man, one of the toughest Grand Tours in memory! Those long range attacks in the high mountains. Absolutely slaying the rest of the race. Loved it!

And who can forget that attack in the 2014 Vuelta on a flat day to take the lead from Purito. I still feel for Purito. One feels that if there was one GT that he really deserved it was that one. But Contador had other plans... Bike racing at it's best! Not even to mention winning a Tour de France while you're on the same team as the biggest name in the sport vying for a fairy tale comeback story.

Yes, he needed some "help" to up his oxygen carrying capacity, but that he's the most exciting (and successful) Grand Tour bike racer of our generation is undoubted. It's the right time for him to go, but that the sport is poorer for him leaving is for sure.

Mmm wonder who trek will replace him with they have a couple if promising GT riders. But will they go for a big name.. Aru or Landa maybe (don't think I have read anything about Landa's plans..besides the Movistar link)

what about maincheese