[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on shebeen - why pick on HdB? Just go back on this thread - loads of hubbers were confidently predicting another cancelled event. The reality is that there is no guarantees that the even WILL happen every year.

It's fine ;) I enjoyed my extra ride that I wouldn't have done otherwise, and I intend on doing it every year from now on.

From the drop in entries, I think a lot of other people were far more worried about the possibility of another cancellation than me.

But for the sake of the theme, let's go with the Rabada one - I assume he did something bad/good/funny/extreme. (I have not watched cricket, nor rugby, in about three years, lost interest)

Edited by HdB

Is it normal for a lady to outride the bunch up these climbs?

IF <Carbon_Kooi = Troll>

THEN "Ignore"

ELSE: See best response to date

if by "the bunch" you mean the 10th lettered cat 1 group, then it's probable. Not as probable as a male doing it, due to the concentration of men vs women in the tour itself, but yes. Probable. 

Maybe she was the strongest in the group. Maybe she was seeded just outside the requirements for 1i, or was previously an elite rider on her first tour back (I know a few of these ladies, btw, and they'll kick many a man's ass) 

Maybe she conserved her energy better than the rest of them in other areas, and decided to attack at those points. 

Does the fact that she's a woman matter? No. Of course not. It's not the elite level, or even 1A, for that matter. If it was on the Elite bunch or 1A, then it would be unlikely, as those guys are FLIPPIN strong. 

1J though... meh, whatever. 

Does the fact that she's a woman matter? No. Of course not. It's not the elite level, or even 1A, for that matter. If it was on the Elite bunch or 1A, then it would be unlikely, as those guys are FLIPPIN strong. 

With the 99er the top ladies are mixed into the second bunch, the lady winners out climbed all the males on Vissershok & Odendaal and beat the leading males by about 30 seconds (and a few minute or more for most of the rest of us in the bunch)

Given that they weigh about half the rest of us it is a great equaliser on a climb.

For 1J - I would still say it's impressive, I am always impressed when ladies kick my arse on a bike  ^_^

on the subject of weight loss, its amazing how much weight plays a role when coming down a hill.

I'm a hefty 85kg, my dad is a light weight, probably around 60-65kg. I found myself having to brake freewheeling down hill in order for him to stay with me. Even if I let him pass and open a gap and then let the brakes go, it doesnt take long and I'm coming past him again.

We will be checking wheel bearings as soon as we can, but the wheels feel like they spin freely enough.

Weight on a downhill is the BEST THING! tuck nice and small, and with some good deep section aero wheels you FLY!

Going uphill, not so much...

Is it normal for a lady to outride the bunch up these climbs?

Completely normal.

Ladies weigh so much less and if they are fit, their power to weight ratio will be very high = speed up hills.

Everyone in 1J Is FAST oke!

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Completely normal.

Ladies weigh so much less and if they are fit, their power to weight ratio will be very high = speed up hills.

Seen this a few times, the same lady that clings onto the back of the bunch on the flats - where absolute power is more relevant than power to weight - just obliterates everyone up a very steep climb at the finish

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

For me especially relevant to the second lappers and wannabe pros without seedings at the back of the field chasing some sub-whatever making annoying arses of themselves.

By all means chase your time but consider that 99% of those around you don't share your goals & "abilities" and are only there to have fun and if you have to swear and scream for space to ride and having one near-miss after the other you are the one missing the point..

As someone at the back, 5E, the people that made me feel most unsafe was fast riders seeded low and those on their 2nd laps. Obviously unexperienced riders are a problem, but I can usually spot them and stay away. The faster riders speed past shouting to “hold the line” and cutting way to close in front or on the side.

????????‍♀️

Edited by Leighw1

As someone at the back, 5E, the people that made me feel most unsafe was fast riders seeded low and those on their 2nd laps. Obviously unexperienced riders are a problem, but I can usually spot them and stay away. The faster riders speed past shouting to “hold the line” and cutting way to close in front or on the side.

‍♀

I've been on the receiving end of both scenarios.  As a newbie having the fast bunch whizz past is pretty off putting.  And as a long route rider catching up with the slower short route riders is always a problem.

As for the CTCT, this should never happen.  Anyone doing a second lap should be doing it for a jol - not to try do two sub 3's.  You've had your chance to race, now let the Group 5 riders ride their own ride...  Just my opinion...

so who knows Tracy or Glyn? what a difference a second makes (to some)...

Saw two okes got 3:00:02. That must suck

so who knows Tracy or Glyn? what a difference a second makes (to some)...

Getting 3h00:00 is actually pretty cool, I would take it. But 3h00:01 or more just looks like you missed a target.

Riding at the back of the seeded groups it’s always a matter of luck how your race (ride? but I am racing, against myself) goes. It’s such a pity people don’t get the importance of cooperating. My best times have been from working with a group. Then there’s the thing about keeping left. It’s very simple. Going slower? Stay as far left as you can. Faster? Pass on the right. But try keep a channel free on your left/right (depending which side you’re on). And don’t switch someone’s wheel when you cross in front of them (!!). Most of the problems I see are because people don’t bother with these simple things.

Agree to disagreed - both those 200 odd cyclist and the 35000 go hand in hand. This year there was no live TV coverage. Many people have asked me about this - what all these people we wanting to watch was the "race"- top 200 cyclist.

Many people have said to me this years Cycle tour have no "Atmosphere"- referring to the event and the lack of spectator etc. All of these cyclist who were in the 4 hour range. They have also said to me this is the last cycle tour they will be doing.!

This is just not true. My own experience as a 4 + hour participant is totally at odds with the “many people” you have heard from. The spectator support was unbelievable, positively electric - especially going up Wynberg hill and Suikerbossie.