[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

Also started 2G - great ride and good sports wrt bunch racing etc. once we caught the batches ahead it went a bit south though ironically.

RIP to fallen cyclist. Thoughts and prayers with fam and friends

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Wasbeer. I hear his jaw was broken and suffered a lung injury, but hopefully he's on the mend. He's marshalled at that point before and mentioned that it's quite dangerous.

A friend of mine who was marshalling on the Llandudno descent was seriously injured when a cyclist rode into him. My friend was taken by ambulance to Christiaan Barnard Memorial, and latest news is that he seems to be out of danger, but it looked pretty bad for a while. I gather the cyclist was also out cold - I hope he's okay. Please spare some thoughts for the marshalls who also lay it on the line.

May he have a speedy recovery!

The marshals have a thankless and dangerous job!

What the heck was going on in 4D? there were so many 4D riders and groups shooting past us. Really git a feeling that they were not seeded properly. So not sure if those are the upcountry guys or internationals.

One of the reasons to listen to their instructions and thank them if safe to do so. They giving up their day for our enjoyment.

I started in 4C just behind the club 21 guys in 4B. There was a heart attack I. The group ahead. The guy was in a 21 jersey on the ground and they were already doing CPR on him as we passed coming out of Simonstown on the way to Smitswinkel. It wasn’t looking positive at that stage from what I saw. Any news on that incident ?

I started in 4G and also saw the medics giving CPR, didn't look good at all, I hope he made it. Does anybody have an update?

RIP to cyclist that passed at Wynberg hill

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edited by Warren_G

Team DJR had a fantastic day out, well, 3 out of the 4 had a fantastic day out. The youngest D punctured twice and missed his target time. For a change his older brother beat him by a few minutes. DJR senior did a slow but steady ride, but still came in a bit under 6 hours. Not bad for an 80 year old. As for myself, my backside is toast, not having done such a slow one for a long time, but it was fantastic to ride with the old man, to chat to people, help a bit here and there and generally just to soak up the very good vibe. The Cape really put its best foot forward today! 

post-17716-0-04220300-1520777068_thumb.jpg

Think next year the entries might just be sold out a bit quicker.. Was speaking to one of the exhibitor and they mentioned that people are generally much more positive, and when positive they buy more, especially if compared to the 94.7 race.  

I was in 2B and there seemed to be a real mix of abilities and experience. Some excellent and courteous bunch riding (letting people in, signalling intent, warning about slower riders) and some poor. 

Also - I wonder if the good conditions gave everyone a feeling that they were proper racers - There were a few times where I found myself pulling out of the group I was in and riding alongside, particularly on some of the descents, because I just didn't feel safe.

If reports of the location of the incident are accurate, and my memory serve, the fatality must have been the accident involving 2B with pick up of some 2As.

I was literally coming to this thread to come bitch and moan about the absolutely horrendous peleton riding by Group 2B et al today. We had 2 accidents, both which I narrowly escaped.

I did not expect to read of this outcome. It is so sad. I normally ride in the 2As and Bs, and I have never seen such a bad day out from a bunch riding technique point of view

That the aggresiveness of the group’s riding cost someone his life today is really sad, and I wish we all take something from this and think next time we just want to latch onto a wheel

The size of groups might also need some rethink. After Smitswinkel shrunk the bunches, riding was awesome and so much better

Think next year the entries might just be sold out a bit quicker.. Was speaking to one of the exhibitor and they mentioned that people are generally much more positive, and when positive they buy more, especially if compared to the 94.7 race.

Know the guy whose manager for cape union mart western cape. Total sales for them at the expo was R1.3mil (target was R1.6mil), but they just about draw even. It's more about marketing for them, than making a profit

I do feel a bit for the stalls that is a bit hidden away, or found "later" down the route, as they sometimes sell the same stuff but cheaper than the guys that got the prime spots at the start.  But understand those prime spots were probably awarded due to long standing support from those companies

Know the guy whose manager for cape union mart western cape. Total sales for them at the expo was R1.3mil (target was R1.6mil), but they just about draw even. It's more about marketing for them, than making a profit

Twitter is mentioning a heartattack that was also reported.  Due to the source, not sure if true or not

Confirmed:

Cape Town - The Cape Town Cycle Tour has confirmed that two people have died during the Cape Town Cycle Tour on Sunday.

“The first was a trauma incident just before 9:00 this morning on the M3 southbound in which a group of 20 cyclists were involved in a pile up," the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust said in a statement.

“In the second incident a male participant succumbed to a suspected heart attack at Smitswinkel Bay at approximately 10:22."

Edited by LeoKnight

A friend of mine who was marshalling on the Llandudno descent was seriously injured when a cyclist rode into him. My friend was taken by ambulance to Christiaan Barnard Memorial, and latest news is that he seems to be out of danger, but it looked pretty bad for a while. I gather the cyclist was also out cold - I hope he's okay. Please spare some thoughts for the marshalls who also lay it on the line.

Afternoon GB guy

Thank you for posting this. Myself and 2 friends stopped and were 1st on the scene when I saw them both lying motionless on the ground. The cyclist was out cold and your friend was in a very serious condition. We managed to build a protection round them with the hay bales orange beacons that sent riders further left on the road to stay out of trouble. From that, did an assessment on both and was best to keep your friend on his side due to injuries (wont mention what here out of respect) and then attended to the cyclist for fractures etc and called the emergency number.

There is alot to be said about the way it was handled by the CT or their emergency staff.

I am however really happy to hear he is stable - I really am as it was a serious Trauma situation. 

Please send him our regards and well wishes from John, Sarah and Alex. 

Marshall's are also not trained or skilled in the situation above unfortunately should a issue like this arise. No ones fault essentially but something that needs to be looked at and corrected. There was a possible incident that was stopped and I believe potentially saved his life.  

The emergency contact number was also very badly handled when I called in. 

John, thank you for your efforts on the scene but I'm horrified to report that Jeremy (the marshal) has died. I would be grateful if you could PM me so we can get in touch - I'd like to hear more about those events. Thank you. Mark