[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

Condolences to the family and friends of the cyclists and the marshal that passed on- so very sad, your in our thoughts and prayers. May they RIP.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, over a 1000 sub 3's. Weather must have been perfect.

The fact that the race was slightly shorter may have contributed to this ;)

RIP to the people who passed yesterday. it's not nice hearing about these things on a day that's supposed to fun for all involved.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Not sure if it has been covered, but did anybody by any chance see the delivery of the 2 mil litres of water?

Is there anyway to query Racetec results. Seems Garmin and Raecte time is out by a few minutes. My Garmin was not on autostop either.

Is there anyway to query Racetec results. Seems Garmin and Raecte time is out by a few minutes. My Garmin was not on autostop either.

did you start your garmin when they said "go" or did you start it when you went over the first timing mat?

the clock starts when they say "go".  the timing mat is just to confirm what group you're in.

did you start your garmin when they said "go" or did you start it when you went over the first timing mat?

the clock starts when they say "go".  the timing mat is just to confirm what group you're in.

When they said go.

Normally CTCT is gun to mat timing. The announcers on at least one occasion said there was a neutral zone and timings would go from the first mat. I was a bit doubtful on this so I started mine on the gun as usual and stopped as I crossed the line. My GPS (Wahoo) came out exactly to the second the same as the official time. So it seems the announcer / neutral zone was rubbish and it was gun to mat as usual this year. Only a few seconds or a minute I guess, but anyone who missed a sub-Something by a small margin might be a bit annoyed.

Stunning day and enjoyed the new start location - very glad the woes of registration did not spill over and the ride went off smoothly. Very sad for the 2 riders who passed away though, thoughts to their families.

On a different note, did anyone else do the Tour yesterday with flu ?

I came down with it last Tuesday, sore throat, sinusitis, the works and thought at the time - that's it - no Argus for me this year !

At the Expo on Thursday I heard several people sneezing and finally asked one oke if he was feeling as *** as I was.

Said he was not feeling too sharp but hoped to be better by Sunday.

I wished him well and decided to wait a couple days also.

Was all ready to cry off on Saturday night, but with the awesome weather predicted serious FOMO set in...

Started in 4K, took it easy and stayed out of trouble but was waaaay off my best time.

Feeling beyond *** today, coughing and wheezing but so very, very glad that I was there.

It was worth it.

HUGE THANKS to the organisers, all the officials, marshals and volunteers - what a great day.

And heartfelt condolences to the families and loved ones of those who tragically lost their lives.

You will NEVER be forgotten.

R.I.P.

What a great day yesterday! Perfect weather, considering how windy it has been the last few weeks/months in Cape Town.

I enjoyed the new start layout in front of the City Hall and the minor route change in getting onto the N2. I was at the start at around 6:10, so I'm not sure if that helped, but there seemed to be very little congestion getting into the chutes.

After starting in 2F, there was a thinned out group of cyclists very early on. I think by the time we were on the M3, there was already a mix of a bunch of different groups, etc. I seemed to find myself constantly looking for the next bunch ahead, not sure if I was just feeling overly optimistic, or if no one really seemed to be working together?

There were really bad crashes though! On the decent of Wynberg Hill, into Constantia a few meters ahead of me which looked very bad. Then further down the M3, more or less opposite Tokai, another few causalities lying in the road. After Simon's Town, near Boulders (I think) a screech of tyres followed by the smell of hot rubber as more riders went down. And then I think I went past the accident involving the marshal on the descent after Suikerbossie. Really feel sorry for everyone involved, especially those who tragically lost their lives.

The crashes really looked like they were down to inexperience riding in groups. I think that was also part of the reason I kept moving on, as it felt uneasy in the smaller bunches.

Anyway, managed to ride a PB, as I am sure many did and finished just under 3h20 which I am stoked with.

Congrats to all!

On a different note, did anyone else do the Tour yesterday with flu ?

I came down with it last Tuesday, sore throat, sinusitis, the works and thought at the time - that's it - no Argus for me this year !

At the Expo on Thursday I heard several people sneezing and finally asked one oke if he was feeling as *** as I was.

Said he was not feeling too sharp but hoped to be better by Sunday.

I wished him well and decided to wait a couple days also.

Was all ready to cry off on Saturday night, but with the awesome weather predicted serious FOMO set in...

Started in 4K, took it easy and stayed out of trouble but was waaaay off my best time.

Feeling beyond *** today, coughing and wheezing but so very, very glad that I was there.

It was worth it.

HUGE THANKS to the organisers, all the officials, marshals and volunteers - what a great day.

And heartfelt condolences to the families and loved ones of those who tragically lost their lives.

You will NEVER be forgotten.

R.I.P.

This was a really bad idea... I know of 3 riders that went down a week early and caught that CT cold bug and decided to rather mis the race again. They are quite sick now and glad they opted out of yesterday.

When the news of the down cyclist came out they all lost all the FOMO they had and decided they made the right move.