[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

If you do the math on how many liters of water the event & the people doing it actually use then cancelling it would not even extend day zero by a few minutes.

Few minute here.....few minutes there.  If someone started saving and planning for the "few minutes" years ago this would have been a whether discussion or a wind discussion.

Soos 'n passer sal ons al om ons eie gatte draai om hierdie punt.

I won't be coming down out of moral support for CT and its resources.  

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The new big building in town - FNB building will be according to my sister who works in it will be shut down on day Zero - something to do with aircon. So in her case, yes going to work will be canceled! They been told they may need to go to JHB office to work.

this is hectic!

because of the "wind" :ph34r:

Thought it was a good question, they seem to have taken all of the precautions, yet icycling feels it's going to be cancelled unless they make it a Western Cape only event. . .  which is interesting in it's own right. . .

Personally we are bringing as much water with as we can fit in the car in an effort to not use more than we really have to.

this is hectic!

Most large buildings aircons all work with evoparitive water as its lot cheaper than compressors/eskom. 

Where my better half work , if I recalll correctley,use about 10kl water per day to keep server Room (IT) cold.  They drilled boreholes now, not to use muni water, but of course, this use ground water which can very well run dry.

I assume there be many buildings like this, I know of few here in Stellies as well (gym etc) but that ok, one just sweat bit more without aircon.

Wondering if Gyms  gonna shut down, people sweat to much so use more water... :)

Edited by Karman de Lange

Thought it was a good question, they seem to have taken all of the precautions, yet icycling feels it's going to be cancelled unless they make it a Western Cape only event. . .  which is interesting in it's own right. . .

Personally we are bringing as much water with as we can fit in the car in an effort to not use more than we really have to.

I am not suggesting it will be cancelled if it a W C only event. I am suggesting that by making it shorter in good time it has far more chance of happening. By not having the scenic areas like Chappies and suggesting to the out of towner you not getting much by been here (short event) and you can't "boast" about your time etc. At the end of the day some out of towner will still want to come and they welcome but other will say to much effort for a short event.

Maybe Shebeen should post his little graph again on the water usage on Argus day.

If you do the math on how many liters of water the event & the people doing it actually use then cancelling it would not even extend day zero by a few minutes.

There are things we as a community in Cape Town can do that can actually help us avoid day zero, cancelling CTCT is not one of them.

Excellent point. Let's do the math: 

Cape Population - 3 700 000

Extra people over CTCT - 45 000 

45 000 divided by 3 700 000 = 1.2%

That is about the same as the growth in our economy! Virtually no impact......

he also mentioned, schools as well.

i do believe something was mentioned of schools with no rain water/borehole setups will be closed, not sure if that still valid, as to businesses that cannot meet the water quota per person

There is talk that Easter holidays may be adjusted (made longer) to reduce water demand on the schools. July holiday might be reduced to compensate.

And also school sport may be cancelled in an effort to reduce the amount of laundry (dirty kit).

The new big building in town - FNB building will be, according to my sister, who works in it. It will be shut down on day Zero - something to do with aircon. So in her case, yes going to work will be canceled! They have been told they may need to go to JHB office to work.

The cooling towers water use is a big concern for many buildings.

Some of which are lucky in that they can use the water they pump from their basements instead of municipal supply. 

Our building will not be so lucky...

Edited by splat

By that argument then why stop with just cancelling the CTCT and 2Oceans? Lets then also cancel all other sports as they also make you dirty and thirsty. What about going to work? Can we cancel that too?

I see Motorsport SA has just done this with the National Motorcross that was scheduled for CT in the beginning of April. Despite the MX track at Zone7 having borehole water, they feel they do not want to place extra pressure on the ground water reserves (watering track between heats etc.) and have left an open date for the event later in the year.

Its the sentiment bye the general population - I think most of use know it will have little or no impact on day Zero . its the mass who think differently!

And thats only 1.2% for about 2 days.  (out of 77 left till day 0)  so, 2/77 => 2.5% of days left till day zero the water usage will increase by 1.2% ..   

about 0.03% impact  i think (my wiskunde is geroes)

Edited by Karman de Lange

And thats only 1.2% for about 2 days.  (out of 77 left till day 0)  so, 2/77 => 2.5% of days left till day zero the water usage will increase by 1.2% ..   

about 0.03% impact  i think (my wiskunde is geroes)

Jou storiesomme werk goed!

/snip

I assume there be many buildings like this, I know of few here in Stellies as well (gym etc) but that ok, one just sweat bit more without aircon.  :)

Stellenbosch is FAR better off than Cape Town. The Idasvalley dam is full and can serve Stellenbosch for 4 months if needed. Plenty of boreholes were sunk next to the Eden and Mont Marie trail and the water treatment plant there is being upgraded. 

More here : https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/851034-New-water-restriction-tariffs-hit-Cape-Town-what-you-need-to-know?p=21012868&viewfull=1#post21012868 

Stellenbosch is FAR better off than Cape Town. The Idasvalley dam is full and can serve Stellenbosch for 4 months if needed. Plenty of boreholes were sunk next to the Eden and Mont Marie trail and the water treatment plant there is being upgraded. 

More here : https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/851034-New-water-restriction-tariffs-hit-Cape-Town-what-you-need-to-know?p=21012868&viewfull=1#post21012868 

thanks for that, here's your post

STATEMENT BY EXECUTIVE MAYOR OF STELLENBOSCH MUNICIPALITY – GESIE VAN DEVENTER

Defeat the water challenge

Release: Immediate 23 January 2018

As the Mayor of Stellenbosch, I would like to share information regarding the greater Stellenbosch water situation with our residents. This will help to assist some frequently asked questions and give clarity about our water situation going forward.

Stellenbosch Municipality is moving to Level 6 Water Restrictions, as of 1 February 2018. Residents will be restricted to 87 litres of water per person per day until further notice. The City of Cape Town has moved to level 6B and is restricting their residents to 50 litres per day. Stellenbosch Municipality may decide to increase restrictions to level 6B at a later date.

Currently the Greater Stellenbosch has achieved a saving of 44% compared with 2015. This water consumption needs to be reduced further in relation to the 2015 baseline usage to achieve a saving of 45%.

For now residents must limit their daily water consumption to 87 litres per day. This means that any person’s combined water consumption at work, home and any other place he or she may go throughout the day must not exceed 87 litres per day.

In June 2017 the Municipal Council approved the Drought Management Plan. This plan made R45 million available for the sourcing of additional groundwater and purification plants for boreholes. We have already sourced 8 000 Ml water per day and have advanced planning in place for an additional 6 000 Ml per day.

Conservatively we can assure the region of 14 000 ML per day and we are drilling additional holes and expect to source a further 4 000 Ml water per day before the end February 2018. The Municipality is planning to have 18 000 Ml purified water per day available from 1 April 2018. As we continue to connect the boreholes to our main water supply system, our water dependence on the City of Cape Town’s sources will decrease significantly.

By the end of March 2018, we will take Klapmuts, Franschhoek and Dwarsrivier, (including Pniel, Kylemore, Johannesdal and Lynquedoc), off the Wemmershoek system and connect it to our own system, freeing up water for the City.

The Municipality is also working closely with the University of Stellenbosch to ensure that the students are aware of the water restrictions. The university has launched water saving schemes, which should drastically reduce its water consumption.

The Municipality urges all residents to give their full cooperation in this matter. Residents who do not adhere to the restrictions will face hefty fines. Residents must make every effort to collect and recycle grey water and to limit their use of potable (drinkable) water as much as possible.

In summary: Judged on the present water use and supply, Stellenbosch Municipality is confident it will be able to provide for the most basic water needs of our residents. Cooperation is however critical and every person must take up the challenge to save and recycle water wherever possible. Water will however be very scarce and there will be no room for any waste or exceeding the water restrictions.

Let us join hands and together face this difficult situation. Working together we can overcome this challenge.

Yup, expected if we save 4%, no day zero for next few years.   They started planning for drought in 2015-16 already and 26 boreholes was sunk over the years.

Think population of stellenbsoch going to expand rapidly if CPT hits D0

I am not suggesting it will be cancelled if it a W C only event. I am suggesting that by making it shorter in good time it has far more chance of happening. By not having the scenic areas like Chappies and suggesting to the out of towner you not getting much by been here (short event) and you can't "boast" about your time etc. At the end of the day some out of towner will still want to come and they welcome but other will say to much effort for a short event.

Okay, I'm gonna be completely honest here, I don't really get the point that you are trying to get across, and that's fine. You obviously think it's a good idea to shorten the route as it will alleviate the water used by the event(that you have already admitted makes no real impact on the actual consumption of the city), and that's good, I just don't get it.

If you admit that it makes no difference, and that it's the thought/sentiment of the people staying away that's gonna cause awareness, then cool, I get that, Spinnekop is already doing that in solidarity with the Western Cape(although I have a sneaking suspicion earlier in this thread he also stated he can't afford to come cause it's too expensive bla bla bla, however I am not sure what the outcome was and couldn't be bothered to go back and read), as I am sure many people will.

Let's just hope some rain falls from the sky and sorts this whole mess out so we can get back to discussing the wind and the goodie bags