Giro d'Italia 2018: The Most Beautiful Grand Tour

'Dale

Ok so time to own up.

Who of you watched the stage up the Zoncolan and wanted a piece of that? Anyone watch the Giro and decide on a trip?

We went to Grappa last year and you could still see the pink bikes on the side of the road and some writing on the tarmac.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so time to own up.

Who of you watched the stage up the Zoncolan and wanted a piece of that? Anyone watch the Giro and decide on a trip?

We went to Grappa last year and you could still see the pink bikes on the side of the road and some writing on the tarmac.

I've ridden up L'Alpe d'Huez on a few different occasions - once was two weeks after the Tour had been past. I know every turn and climb on that hill - so it was surreal to ride it while there was still signs of the race on the road.

Now we live within "drivable distance" of the Col du Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden etc and its great. This years TdF will pass within 50 odd kms of home :-)

I've ridden up L'Alpe d'Huez on a few different occasions - once was two weeks after the Tour had been past. I know every turn and climb on that hill - so it was surreal to ride it while there was still signs of the race on the road.

Now we live within "drivable distance" of the Col du Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden etc and its great. This years TdF will pass within 50 odd kms of home :-)

There should be a mega like on this website.

My wife really wants to go to Europe once the kids are a bit older. I said sure but only if we go while one of the GTs is on and my bike goes with. We can do all the boring tourist stuff she wants to do and then we can also follow a tour for a few days. So hopefully in a few years time I can ride some of those roads.

My wife really wants to go to Europe once the kids are a bit older. I said sure but only if we go while one of the GTs is on and my bike goes with. We can do all the boring tourist stuff she wants to do and then we can also follow a tour for a few days. So hopefully in a few years time I can ride some of those roads.

GOOOOO!!!!

Mini Hijack.

My 2c.

Pick a spot. There are loads of places that have multiple TDF or Giro cols within quick (Not easy) reach. Camp there and try to integrate. There are a good few websites with this info.

Do your gold star ride early in the trip when you are fresh.

Try have a few days of flat. The climbs there are BIG!!!! They make suikerbossie look like a zit.

Do a lot of research. The place you go will likely have hundreds of years of interesting history. It's Europe After-all.

The classic mistake we as saffers make is we try to do the whooooole of europe and a visit to a 3rd cousin in Scotland in 2 weeks. I pick a spot. Camp there and try to integrate. Also. That's much cheaper than renting cars and the like. The hidden costs (insurance, tolls, petrol) add up BIG TIME when renting a car there.

My fiance didn't like italy coz she low carbs. Not good in italy where it's all pasta and pizza. Add that to big elevation every day and she was hangry most of the time. The roads were SUBLIME tho and the ride up Grappa will live with me forever.

Hijack off

Seems like Hinault had a big bowl of Brittany grump this morning and add out on Froome.

"Hinault: Chris Froome should not have started the Giro, he should be suspended

Frenchman says Froome 'is not a legend' and must not start the Tour de France"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hinault-chris-froome-should-not-have-started-the-giro-he-should-be-suspended/

Sigh... plenty more of these articles coming our way before the Tour starts.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

he must get him a lekka couch for 10 years time

Think you get given a couch when you win 7 TdF  ;)

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/436/105/331.jpg

Wasn't Froome's number 181 ?

IF so, just more proof for the haters that he is cheating, the number LA used so it must have doping powers

Instead of hammering Froome these guys should be petitioning the UCI to get their damn house in order.

We all deserve better service than this fiasco that's been going on for 8 months now.

Instead of hammering Froome these guys should be petitioning the UCI to get their damn house in order.

We all deserve better service than this fiasco that's been going on for 8 months now.

Nail on the head! Alas that doesn't sell newspapers/ad space...

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed this read

A plan comes together

My question to Dave B if he so believes in transparency then how can he support secretive and often indefensible and abusive TUE's

Great read

Goose bump material

Must be fantastic to be part of that kind of team effort

Archived