Advice on Divorce

New Landy new life

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the ex dropped a bomb on me the other week by stating that she is looking at emigrating to New Zealand. Obviously the kids will go with her. She claims to have had enough of this country.

She is good at what she does and reckons there is a demand for what she does, plus is tired of coughing up for pvt schools, med aid, security etc. Not a new whinge by any means, but very new for her. Plus I think the last 2 years of living on a large plot as a single mom will add to the woes.

She has asked me for a affidavit saying I have no issue with her taking the kids over there and obtaining visas.

*** thing is where does it now leave me? In my industry I can work anywhere and often in involves a lot of travel and its all the same game from one country to the next but is built on a network of referrals and mostly freelance based so I think that could pose a few issues.

I really dont want to let them lose sight of me so if she is 'all systems go' then I will really considering following, or at least moving to the UK ( I have a passport and family there) and could make a wedge more there as a single simple living man and afford the travel to the see my kids.

Either way the thought of them being so far away is heartbreaking..

Tough tough decision this.....aamoi if she went the court route as a single mom just uprooting she would probably not win hence the reason she has approached you instead. If she was remarried and her new family wanted to go different situation. However, I digress.

Unfortunately we cannot live parallel lives and it’s impossible to predict which would be the better option. A child’s identity is created by both parents, don’t underestimate yr role in their lives,

My only advice is that if you decide to let them go make sure you got a water tight agreement regarding all aspects including things like maintenance etc, you don’t want to be in a situation of paying maintenance in a foreigh currency as an example.

It Would break my heart seeing my child getting on a plane and only seeing him once a year that’s for sure. In yr shoes I would say no. Just cos one is divorced does not lessen yer obligation to the child as a parent. One cannot be a parent from a different continent.

The kids are 11 and 4 so are not of an age yet to make up their own minds about this kind of a thing.

I have just started life again so to move to another country would be a total new board game kind of start with odd rules and all sorts.

I have told her if she wants to move for the good of the children then I wont stop her, but I do think she hasn't thought it through entirely as the luxuries of a full time maid, au pair etc will be history. So yes, a large surprise awaits, but then she is a martyr so who knows. Its more a knee-jerk reaction but once she gets the proverbial bee.

There is a host of things that need to fall into place first so I'll be watching from the sidelines all while taking some steps of my own.

Don’t know if I agree with Stretch. I moved for the family, definitely not myself. If it was just me, I would be riding around groenkloof this afternoon. [emoji605] . Couldn’t handle the thought of my daughter one day driving at night alone around Gauteng.

Agree with all the points on clarity of any agreement that you make with her that have been suggested.

What a tough decision. I wish you well.

Don’t know if I agree with Stretch. I moved for the family, definitely not myself. If it was just me, I would be riding around groenkloof this afternoon. [emoji605] . Couldn’t handle the thought of my daughter one day driving at night alone around Gauteng.

Agree with all the points on clarity of any agreement that you make with her that have been suggested.

What a tough decision. I wish you well.

and you'd probabbly end up mugged in groenkloof this afternoon .....sad sate of things

I have said that until I get all her plans laid out I am not signing anything. And then when, or if I do, it needs to be by the way of a legally binding doc. Just when I thought the days of lawyers bills were over.

Should I sign and she goes through with it, I don't see much other option for me but to follow in order to be there for my daughters.

Its not easy. My own career is working out just fine, but I can expand on it wherever I go really. I just turned down a position in Dubai but they wanted me from Sept and I cant commit to that right now. With the kids its just to soon foe me to go.

I have also met someone and we seem to enjoy each others company. But for now that stays at arms length as its potentially complicated and I don't need that and neither does she. But its really nice to have good female company.

• 2 weeks later...

So hows the newly single folk doing?

My docs finally came out of the court building this week so I have everything all stamped and official finally.

A cruel twist of fate means that she pays me out. Not a large amount, and it was never an intention, but it was a strategic battle plan for me to get her to drop her demands on the settlement agreement. I give rocks for the money - it pays school fees, but sometimes you need to stand your ground and if it means the tables get turned then so be it.

The immigration thing is on going and I will see how that pans out.

Never a dull moment in this game they call Adulting