Snakes on routes

FirstV8

Last week went for a trail run outside of Grahamstown EC, was skipping along my merry way admiring the pretty aloes and rocks along the trail when out of the corner of my peripheral I saw a long snakey shaped thing lying length-ways across the trail, this was on a downhill section so I'm motoring at quite a pace, I instinctively jump just as I'm coming over a large puff adder which is hissing and inflating as I'm soaring over it majestically in slow motion. I land on my feet again and increase my speed 1000 fold as the adrenaline hits and I scream profanities for the next 3 minutes at the top of my lungs... Wasn't pleasant but must've been hella funny to the people behind me.

i trust you had Strava on?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stopped doing races because of the hazard and nuisance the snakes are on the trails...  :whistling:

Last week went for a trail run outside of Grahamstown EC, was skipping along my merry way admiring the pretty aloes and rocks along the trail when out of the corner of my peripheral I saw a long snakey shaped thing lying length-ways across the trail, this was on a downhill section so I'm motoring at quite a pace, I instinctively jump just as I'm coming over a large puff adder which is hissing and inflating as I'm soaring over it majestically in slow motion. I land on my feet again and increase my speed 1000 fold as the adrenaline hits and I scream profanities for the next 3 minutes at the top of my lungs... Wasn't pleasant but must've been hella funny to the people behind me.

That little “jump” over the puffy would have landed me on the moon!

It would be interesting to read Peter the Puffy's forum post of the TheSlitherHub about his near death encounter with a massive jumping two wheel thing, while out doing his 20 minute stlither to stay in their 365 challenge.

He has probably also posted in the "Time to get the hell out of there thread", going for simple slithers is no longer as safe as it used to be.

I came across two puff adders in the cradle this afternoon. Both sunning themselves in the road. Fortunately there wasn't much traffic

post-45899-0-27122600-1527962904_thumb.jpg

post-45899-0-30406500-1527962921_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Once encountered a snake -what looked like a Puff Adder?  On route to Breedts Nek just about 5 km's up the gravel road from the filling station.   I nearly rode over the big bad boy but luckily accelerated very (fast enough)  not to cross paths with him and only missed him by couple of cm's or even mm's.   I remember my heart rate monitor beeping like crazy cause of the adrenaline rush - ek het my gat af geskrik!

I have seen vids and heard of snakes that get caught up in wheels and spokes and believe that if I had collided with him I would have soiled my chamois  :wacko:

Lots of misconceptions about snakes on the hub.

Snakey doesn't want to bite you, even black mamba, rather step back 5 steps and let the snake go on their way, the strongest spitter is the Mfezi ( Moz Spitting Cobra), and he can only spit 3m so you are safe from him too.

Worst snakes to be bitten by are Cape Cobra and Mamba, you have a few hours to get to a hospital with a trauma unit, because you may stop breathing.

Most snake bites in SA are from Mfezi and Puffy. Both are cytotoxic, so best to get antivenom ASAP.

Snakes don't hibernate in SA, it's too warm, they do go dormant, but are still active.

Most snake bites are at night, so use a torch.

There are 2 types of anti-venom used in SA today, one for Boomslang, and a polyvalen anti-venom for Puffy, Gaboon Adder, Black and Green Mambas, Rinkhals and all the dangerous cobra's in Southern Africa.

Snakebite kits contain 2 100ml Vials of polyvalent anti-venom. The kit must be refrigerated at 2-10deg, and has a 3 year shelf life.

Pressure bandages can be used, but must not be used when cytotoxic venom is involved, and must have a specific pressure to slow down the spread of venom through the lymphatic system, 50-70mmHg for a leg and 40-70mmHg for an arm. You can buy the smart pressure bandages from https://www.africansnakebiteinstitute.com/shop/first-aid/asi-hikers-first-aid-kit-for-snakebite/, the bandage has a rectangular block on them which will be square when the right pressure is applied.

In the event of snakebite;

–  DO NOT try to cut or suck out the venom
Snake venom very quickly attaches to the local tissue and is absorbed into the lymphatic system and very little venom can be removed by suction. Cutting may expose the wound to secondary infection.

–  DO NOT apply any electric shock therapy
Electric shocks do not neutralise snake venom.

–  DO NOT apply a tourniquet
Arterial or venous tourniquets are not advised in most bites as venom is initially transported largely through the lymphatic system and not through veins. There is no evidence that a tourniquet could be life-saving following a snakebite.

–  DO NOT apply ice or warm water, lotion or potions
Leave the bite site alone, except for cleaning it with cool water and applying a sterile gauze dressing. Warm water does not denature snake venom. Do not give the victim alcohol.

–  DO NOT inject antivenom as a first aid measure
If required, antivenom must be injected intravenously by a medical doctor in a hospital environment and usually in large quantities. Anaphylactic shock can be a serious side-effect which may be fatal if not treated promptly.

First aid measures for snakebite

–  Get the victim to a hospital as soon as possible and in a safe manner
Keep the numbers of the closest hospital (with a trauma unit) and ambulance service on your cell phone and call ahead to notify them of the victim’s situation. The navigational App Waze is very handy – type in ‘hospital’ or ‘doctor’ and the closest facilities will be listed immediately with details.

–  Keep the victim calm and as still as possible
Muscle contractions speed up the movement of venom in the lymphatic system. Immobilise the victim, lay the victim down if possible and transport (or arrange transport) to the closest hospital. Elevate the affected limb slightly above heart level.

–  Remove rings and tight clothing
If bitten on the hand, arm, foot, or lower leg, remove rings, bangles, bracelets, watches, anklets and any other tight jewellery, as well as tight clothing and shoes.

–  Apply pressure bandages
If you are more than an hour or two from the closest medical facility, consider applying pressure bandages to the affected limb, but only in suspected Mamba or Cape Cobra bites. Please see section on Smart Bandages.

IMPORTANT  Do not waste valuable time applying a pressure bandage – immediately transport the patient to the nearest hospital with a trauma unit and, if possible, apply the pressure bandage whilst travelling.

If you have been spat at

What to do
–  Venom in the eyes is very painful and must be flushed or diluted as quickly as possible.
–  Flush the eyes with a weak (normal) saline solution, or place the victim’s head under a slowly running tap with the eyes forced open.
–  Keep flushing for at least 15-20 minutes and then transport the victim to a medical doctor, who will do a slit lamp examination and prescribe anesthetic and antibiotic eye drops.
–  If no saline or water is available, other bland liquids like milk, beer, cold drink or even urine can be used. Water works best.
–  If treated quickly, the chance of permanent damage to the eyes is extremely remote.

And lastly get the ASI app on your phone, you can take a pic of the snake and they will ID it soon.

https://www.africansnakebiteinstitute.com/app/

Edit, and don't kill the poor snake, take a pic of it, it bit you because you were in it's space.

Edited by deanbean

• 1 year later...

Please be aware for snakes - it's that time of the year.

Someone on a hiking group posted video of THREE different puffies in Jonkershoek and they were large and on the trail.

Puffies love to lie in the middle of a path where they get the full sun.

Someone on a hiking group posted video of THREE different puffies in Jonkershoek and they were large and on the trail.

It was bennet nel the trail builder at Jonkershoek doing some trail maintenance post the winds. Those puffies look huge

#puffielivesmatter