Costs of trail centres?

Pipsqueak

You don't have to. It's entirely free to ride your bicycle on a provincial or municipal road. But if I catch you riding on my property without the required permission, i.e. a day pass which is usually paid for, well then.

As Mr. Eastwood so eloquently put it: " You feeling lucky, punk?"

I'm thinking back to the days where you could find a random piece of Bush and play around on the footpaths.

Nowdays all these bush areas have been turned into shopping centres or townhouse complexes.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking back to the days where you could find a random piece of Bush and play around on the footpaths.

Nowdays all these bush areas have been turned into shopping centres or townhouse complexes.

you cant just go ride anywhere in the bush now as you will most likely get robbed, thus the small amount you pay for riding in a bike park in my opinion is well worth it.

U should not convert the currency. Then it would seem on par as to what we paying. After all we do not earn pounds or euros or dollars.

But can you compare it aside from the money? Lifts, for a start. A Line... etc.

If the trail network was maintained then this would be true, but that's definitely not the case...

There is not that much to maintain when comparing venues. It's more what you get for that money. At Holla you're riding on private farms. There are hardly any trail features. There is one proper berm at Holla for eg. So then I start asking what is that money actually for? When I go to Karkloof for example, I can ride amazing trail features till I puke, table tops, flow/berms, doubles, gaps etc etc. In my book Karkloof is an amazing deal. Holla is now a stand-out because you're paying 3 times the norm, and for very little else.

But can you compare it aside from the money? Lifts, for a start. A Line... etc.

You had me at lifts....

To be fair the trails in Morzine are actually free to ride. Yes that's right. Free. And there's 650+km of trail. You CAN ride up an Alp but..... Liiiiiiiiftssss

You do however pay for a lift pass. I understand the way they make money is the say 200 Euro that you pay for your lift pass gets divvied up based on the number of times you use the particular lifts. So they are incentivised to make good trail so that you and your mates ride Zore for example rather than Les Gets.

I imagine Whistler etc are the same. You can't really control access in such a vast area so you control your biggest expense. The running of the lifts.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

You had me at lifts....

To be fair the trails in Morzine are actually free to ride. Yes that's right. Free. And there's 650+km of trail. You CAN ride up an Alp but..... Liiiiiiiiftssss

You do however pay for a lift pass. I understand the way they make money is the say 200 Euro that you pay for your lift pass gets divvied up based on the number of times you use the particular lifts. So they are incentivised to make good trail so that you and your mates ride Zore for example rather than Les Gets.

I imagine Whistler etc are the same. You can't really control access in such a vast area so you control your biggest expense. The running of the lifts.

Makes alot more sense ja. Good business model.

There is not that much to maintain when comparing venues. It's more what you get for that money. At Holla you're riding on private farms. There are hardly any trail features. There is one proper berm at Holla for eg. So then I start asking what is that money actually for? When I go to Karkloof for example, I can ride amazing trail features till I puke, table tops, flow/berms, doubles, gaps etc etc. In my book Karkloof is an amazing deal. Holla is now a stand-out because you're paying 3 times the norm, and for very little else.

I'm glad you like it :clap: ...there are also some new trails which are opening on Sunday for the Trailblazer.

I suppose the really big difference is if you are in it for profit or not, at Karkloof all the funds raised go back into the club, facilities, local community and trail builds.

Edited by Robbow

Tokai charged me R80 two weeks ago, WITHOUT parking in the picnic area... Naaiers

That would be because that is the price, and parking is free.

Holla does have 330+ KM of trail admittedly there is a fair amount of cane road and Jeep track. It could definately do with some more trail features and more tech riding stuff...

anyway looking forward to trailblazer on Sunday @ Karkloof  :thumbup:

OH and News just in Jasper Van Veesem has just landed the general manager position ...so trails they could be a changing  :clap:

Edited by Mawbs

Holla does have 330+ KM of trail admittedly there is a fair amount of cane road and Jeep track. It could definately do with some more trail features and more tech riding stuff...

anyway looking forward to trailblazer on Sunday @ Karkloof  :thumbup:

OH and News just in Jasper Van Veesem has just landed the general manager position ...so trails they could be a changing  :clap:

For over R2000 a year lets hope so!

I'm glad you like it :clap: ...there are also some new trails which are opening on Sunday for the Trailblazer.

I suppose the really big difference is if you are in it for profit or not, at Karkloof all the funds raised go back into the club, facilities, local community and trail builds.

Your trails are bloody awesome and happily pay the fees to ride there,sorry to say it but Holla can learn from you guys and Giba about how trails should be and not take the piss. Can’t wait for the Karkloof Enduro and hopefully you guys decide to run the SA champs there too.???? Edited by Bizkit031

R600 at Tygerberg - perday varies between 40 and 60 depending on which trail.

It's a bargain in my view when you consider how many kilometers of singltrack there are.

R680 for the two of us for the year for access to the wide range of Tygerberg trails 

2xR30 per day at Meerendal

2xR50 at some of the other farms in this network

NO DAY ACCESS on many of the linking trails ....

PS - Already done 14 rides my 2018 Tygerberg trails access card, day rates would already have been close to the annual membership !!  Not to mention the shlep of having the right money to pay for daily rides.

R60+R30 at Hermanus trails - not sure what their annual rate is

Edited by ChrisF

Your trails are bloody awesome and happily pay the fees to ride there,sorry to say it but Holla can learn from you guys and Giba about how trails should be and not take the piss. Can’t wait for the Karkloof Enduro and hopefully you guys decide to run the SA champs there too.

Yoh have to admit i had forgotten what riding REAL trails was all about. Trailblazer was so much fun, their trails are just sooooooo good  :clap:  :thumbup:

Exactly. Land owners at Holla are not paid for access, but 20% of the trail fees are supposed to be used toward controlling weeds, etc. From what I see this is not the case.

Ultimately, R2k+ is very pricy when compared to the pricing of other venues. 

Yoh have to admit i had forgotten what riding REAL trails was all about. Trailblazer was so much fun, their trails are just sooooooo good  :clap:  :thumbup:

So which route is the Trailblazer now? Is it open to ride? I coudn't make it.

So which route is the Trailblazer now? Is it open to ride? I coudn't make it.

NOPE you missed it, they take the route markers down after the ride.

Basically it seems they piece together all the best parts of trails ...damm it was good