Canyon bicycles now available direct to South Africa

shaper

Go ask any bike shop for a box?

That's my next option but if you see all the beautiful work that goes into packaging a Canyon you'll know why I'm asking. there are velcro'ed pads for handlebars, seatpost, front wheel etc that means i can keep everything nice and safe but not have to dismantle the whole bike. 

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my next option but if you see all the beautiful work that goes into packaging a Canyon you'll know why I'm asking. there are velcro'ed pads for handlebars, seatpost, front wheel etc that means i can keep everything nice and safe but not have to dismantle the whole bike. 

I think you probably know why people want to hang onto their Canyon box and packaging then...

Reading this thread over the last few months, I see there has been some discrepancies in terms of VAT and duties paid when arriving in SA. Am I correct in saying that if I were to order a frame only, there would only be VAT due, as it is not a complete bike?

Reading this thread over the last few months, I see there has been some discrepancies in terms of VAT and duties paid when arriving in SA. Am I correct in saying that if I were to order a frame only, there would only be VAT due, as it is not a complete bike?

Correct.

However, for complete bikes, if you can get Canyon to supply the correct invoice stating that the bike is built in Germany, it will be duty exempt so you'll only pay VAT. May require some debates at customs though.

Correct.

However, for complete bikes, if you can get Canyon to supply the correct invoice stating that the bike is built in Germany, it will be duty exempt so you'll only pay VAT. May require some debates at customs though.

And from what others have said, they aren't willing to say that on the invoice.

So what % can I add to the price in $ on their website to get an idea what the bike will cost me delivered?

Correct.

Why is a bike from Germany exempt from duties?

Correct.

Thanks for that info, I am going for a frame only, so I should be good to go.

Why is a bike from Germany exempt from duties?

Duty exemption on EU imports, provided they're manufactured there.

15% VAT + 1% handling fee + 15% duty worst case from what I understand

VAT and duty is only charged on cost of goods, and not on the shipping cost. So it'll work out to a bit less.

Asked someone at the Post Office a while back regarding a 2199 euro bike.  SA takes little over R12 500

Value 2199 Euro exchange x 15 Rand Value R32 985 x 15%= R4 947.75

Value R32 985 x 10%(3298.50) + Duty of R4 947.75 = Vat Value R41 231x15% Vat = R6 184.65

Duty R4 947.75
Vat R6 184.65
Total R12 369.30

Box  16.90 euro R255

Duty 30% R76.50

Vat R 49.98

Totaal is R 126.48
Handling fee  R 50.10

Edited by Zorro5614

Correct.

Canyon refuses to do this, I have tried