SA’s most expensive bicycle

Ispeed_V

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully understand why some things are expensive as there are special materials, technology , RnD etc in high end products.  Sometimes the price tag of a R100k cartier vs a 10K casio for something that does the same thing is crazy but i get that the one item is special, has exotic materials etc. vs just being functional/

But this bicycle thing has me stumped.  Take this bike for R259k and compare it to a top of the line Ducati Superbike also from Italy .  Both have high end parts both have RnD both are cutting edge.  But the one has a motor and capability of reaching R330kmh and accelarating at the speed of sound whilst the other you have to pedal.  

How do they justify the same price tag!!!!

It's all about marketing at the end of the day.

As long as Froomey wins races then they'll sell well.

I fully understand why some things are expensive as there are special materials, technology , RnD etc in high end products.  Sometimes the price tag of a R100k cartier vs a 10K casio for something that does the same thing is crazy but i get that the one item is special, has exotic materials etc. vs just being functional/

But this bicycle thing has me stumped.  Take this bike for R259k and compare it to a top of the line Ducati Superbike also from Italy .  Both have high end parts both have RnD both are cutting edge.  But the one has a motor and capability of reaching R330kmh and accelarating at the speed of sound whilst the other you have to pedal.  

They don't justify it... people just pay it  :o

Perfect marketing foil.

Charge R200k odd for a bike so its makes the rest of the R100k bikes look cheap.

That new Spez in the review section looks reasonable at R100k odd.

You are right, it's almost like Aston Martin bringing out those hideous small cars to meet their emissions requirements. You reckon there will be a El Cheapo Pinarello soon?

you can get a lot of motorbike and some change ......... http://www.ducati.co.za/bikes-new.html

I understand that due to R&D and some fancy materials being used that prices are on the increase. But we realy get shafted by the agents and retailers in South Africa.

Was looking for a Shimano DI2 spare part the other day. The agent quoted me through a retailer R 5250. I eventially ordered the same item delivered within 5 working days to my door from a UK retailer at R1679.

That does not make sense and shouts out YOU GETTING SCREWED BY RSA AGENTS

I understand that due to R&D and some fancy materials being used that prices are on the increase. But we realy get shafted by the agents and retailers in South Africa.

Was looking for a Shimano DI2 spare part the other day. The agent quoted me through a retailer R 5250. I eventially ordered the same item delivered within 5 working days to my door from a UK retailer at R1679.

That does not make sense and shouts out YOU GETTING SCREWED BY RSA AGENTS

see the bright side... at least they had stock...

Poorly spec'd if you ask me, should have gone for Boras or Lightweights with Campag. Looks like it was built up with bits and bobs lying around. Same paintjob as 2016 Vipa. 

You can get it quite a bit cheaper with Lightweight's.

post-33594-0-06844800-1519648310_thumb.png

BMW s1000R  old school now, Panigale V4 s way to go,

back top topic no one said that that K10s not allowed to race yet, disc brakes.

I love pinarello, (have F8) but for now the K10s disc is a no go, my 2c

S