Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

They were our maintaining the trails today. It's a big undertaking with all this rain and sun. Very overgrown in sections. Glad to see them working on it though

I am unsure why they have changed the river section. Now it veers away from the river for a bit. Strange as that's such a popular section

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the mud situation at Modders lately? Want to try do a long ride from home to Modders later but hesitant because the mud last time was just crazy

Trails are looking much better, there is hardly any mud anywhere and the guys have done a lot of work cutting grass, there is still a LOT of work that needs to be done, but the trails are looking much better

• 2 weeks later...

Rode there this morning and was quite disappointed. The very first sections of the yellow route is almost completely overgrown. For some sections the trail is just a rut as wide as a tyre. On others you're riding on grass for extended sections. I found myself enduring the trails rather than enjoying. I'd be a regular once they sort out maintenance

Rode there this morning and was quite disappointed. The very first sections of the yellow route is almost completely overgrown. For some sections the trail is just a rut as wide as a tyre. On others you're riding on grass for extended sections. I found myself enduring the trails rather than enjoying. I'd be a regular once they sort out maintenance

Best Time for Modders is Autumn and Winter up to Early Spring.

During Summer the Yellow Route is always Overgrown and It's been the same for the last five years no mater who is receiving the cash. I had great Expectations for the New Kids on the Block but Nah, the  Disappointment is still there. As for the Mud Well It is called Modders.

Rode there this afternoon, also have to add how deep it is in some sections, making it almost impossible to peddle without a strike on either side.

But it's still a priveledge to be able to go cycle close to home i guess..

We could always ride the beautiful new tar roads in the same suburb if we want it all smooth and swept...

Thanks for that.

We are not talking about smooth and swept .

We are talking about having to port your bike through some sections of the yellow route.

Got hold of them on FB and they gonna look at it.

Thanks for that.

We are not talking about smooth and swept .

We are talking about having to port your bike through some sections of the yellow route.

Got hold of them on FB and they gonna look at it.

Agreed! I also rode there yesterday. I missed that first section, and judging by your description am glad. I was surprised that even the gravel road hugging the boundary fence was overgrown in places. Anyway, I still had lots of fun, though work got in the way and cut it short. Cant wait to go back.

• 3 weeks later...

Did yellow route yesterday afternoon. Surprisingly much dryer than expected and better since riding there on Sunday. Grip in certain sections are amazing, still very overgrown on certain sections and reeds need trimming.Some new sections have been cut on the 2nd half of the route to probably bypass some sections needing maintenance.

Grass has been cut in some sections but long grass cuttings have been left on the trail which is frustrating but at least there's progress.

Hopefully the rain will stay away for a few days to let the trails dry even more.

Only consequence of riding there the last 3 months is that the bike is in for maintenance to replace casette,chain and bottom bracket. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Rode green today, been extended to 22km with the addition of the river section - awesome.

The river section has extra distance too which is great. Nice ride. Well done.

Agree on the conditions. Did a yellow ride today and was worried that it would be overgrown with the recent rains but it was exceĺlent. They are managing it very well

Rode some Red and some Orange at the Taroko Trail park today. Was very impressed with the quality of the trails and overall park setup. It was also nice to see a good turnout for both the MTB trails and walking/running trails. I'll definitely be supporting this venue.

I do wish my R50 trail entrance fee allowed me to enter the Farmers Market for free, especially since there was nowhere else to grab a post ride coffee and roll... Seems strange to pay to enter and then have to pay to enter to pay for a coffee  :P     

Has anyone raised the R10 entry to the market with the management? Seems stupid to not let the riders in to support the businesses.