Mark Cavendish

pista

I can't remember who it was (Merckx? Hinault?) said:

"Whenever somebody tells me they just won a race, my question is 'Who came second?'"

you cant win a race if youre not in it. Doesnt matter who was second, 1st place was quickest on that day.

The record books will show 1st 2nd 3rd, they wont say 1st but XYZ did not race.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember who it was (Merckx? Hinault?) said:

"Whenever somebody tells me they just won a race, my question is 'Who came second?'"

I used to have an old rugby coach who said something similiar:

"whenever someone told me they scored a try, I asked them who passed them the ball" 

It was a way of reminding the person, they were part of a team.

OK, he can let others start winning again!!!  :clap:  Quality rider this Cavendish... 

Saw him chatting with Fabio Jacobsen after the finish - I can only imagine what went through his mind seeing those barriers folding like origami once more

Edited by lechatnoir

OK, he can let others start winning again!!!  :clap:  Quality rider this Cavendish... 

Saw him chatting for Fabio Jacobsen after the finish - I can only imagine what went through his mind seeing those barriers folding like origami once more

Fortunately Fabio started the leadout for Cav with 5km to go and pulled off with about 3km to go was not in the heat of it.

I can only imagine what went through his mind seeing those barriers folding like origami once more

But banning riders for throwing waterbottles and banning the Supertuck are higher on the UCI's agenda rather than having safer barriers.

Why not have those foam type barriers, almost like they have at the indoor athletics track events or thicker ones like high jump mates are made of.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Fortunately Fabio started the leadout for Cav with 5km to go and pulled off with about 3km to go was not in the heat of it.

I cannot imagine the mental strength he must have to push through if he is in the thick of things again and up against the barriers..

I cannot imagine the mental strength he must have to push through if he is in the thick of things again and up against the barriers..

Seems like they are getting him back into it slowly and why he is starting the leadout perhaps, getting confidence, getting comfortable before getting back into the pointy end of things.  Am sure Cav is helping him having crashed quite a few times himself.

But banning riders for throwing waterbottles and banning the Supertuck are higher on the UCI's agenda rather than having safer barriers.

Why not have those foam type barriers, almost like they have at the indoor athletics track events or thicker ones like high jump mates are made of.

Rumour has it that the UCI re watched the footage to check if any of the bikes that hit the barriers lost their water bottles and will issue fines for littering if they did..

Rumour has it that the UCI re watched the footage to check if any of the bikes that hit the barriers lost their water bottles and will issue fines for littering if they did..

And a few DQ's

Well they say bouts of good / bad luck comes in bouts of 3's.

Not to take anything away from the Manx Missile...

Move over Sammy B?