Shorts or Bib ?

ChrisF

Bibs are cooler and certainly more comfy on long rides but I like shorts for that casual look if you are visiting someone/somewhere....(that is proper cycling shorts with the liner inside to it though! Not Mr Price rugby shorts...although as a kid its all I ever rode in really!)

I bought those Indola shorts... Cut the inner out and wear them over bibs..

Bibs are boss.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought those Indola shorts... Cut the inner out and wear them over bibs..

Bibs are boss.

So why wear shorts?

Waste of time and uncomfortable

So why wear shorts?

For the comfort of those around me... And to look cool for the Enduro crowd.. But for reals, I got them for the more chilled type rides where the coffee stop may be longer than the ride itself, or when riding with noob friends so they don't feel too put of place... Oh, and for the fixie rides!!!

Certainly not for the normal xc type rides, and certainly not on the road...

Am I the only one here who prefers shorts, I have a bib and it comes out of the closet dead last.

I'd only even consider wearing them on shirt rides as with long ones they end up chafing shoulders and nipples,and they just all round uncomfortable.

Dunno what shirts you guys are wearing if your crack is sticking out, but if you buying cycling ones, the backs are longer than normal shirts, and hell even when I wear shorts with a vest I have no cracking issues.

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

MTB Vids: ltstyt.be/@remelehane

I hate bibs. I find them super uncomfortable.

Also, real mountain bikers wear baggies...

You're probably using cheaper bibs... Not a Diss, just the problem I had with very low cost bibs...

Secondly, mtbers are just a portion of enthusiasts who ride bicycles, so you can't really rule out bibs for everything else...

Am I the only one here who prefers shorts, I have a bib and it comes out of the closet dead last.

I'd only even consider wearing them on shirt rides as with long ones they end up chafing shoulders and nipples,and they just all round uncomfortable.

Dunno what shirts you guys are wearing if your crack is sticking out, but if you buying cycling ones, the backs are longer than normal shirts, and hell even when I wear shorts with a vest I have no cracking issues.

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

Yes, cycle shorts are longer, so they tend to stay in place on the waist.. Except for when you get into an aero hammer position, and then get back up to sit up or on the hoods, and now your chamois and waist elastic has moved and it all goes to pot..

When it comes to equipment and clothing, the best is the stuff you forget you're wearing while riding... And bibs are great at this if they decent quality and fit correctly... Shorts, not so much...

Yes, cycle shorts are longer, so they tend to stay in place on the waist.. Except for when you get into an aero hammer position, and then get back up to sit up or on the hoods, and now your chamois and waist elastic has moved and it all goes to pot..

When it comes to equipment and clothing, the best is the stuff you forget you're wearing while riding... And bibs are great at this if they decent quality and fit correctly... Shorts, not so much...

Well, never had any problems with any of the shorts I own, it ain't broken so not about to fix it.

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

So why wear shorts?

Couple of reasons when talking about MTBs for me: 

1) Bibs are good cos bibs are good n comfy when you're riding. Road or Mtb bibs are good for the butt and keep it tight n tidy.

2) Wipe out with a set of R1800+ bibs on the trail or a descent and you'll wish you had some extra protection saving that paper thin lycra as it skids across rocks, roots, bushes and the rest.  Saves blushes as you head back to the car park with your butt hanging out of those shredded bibs, saves cuts n roasties and saves school fees of having to buy more lycra. 

3) Snagging bibs on branches etc... see no2

4) Loose fitting jerseys and tight lycra shorts would be plain weird. 

5) Knee pads with bibs or skin suits... again weird. 

Edited by hellocolour

Just to be clear, OP, were you questioning bibs vs shorts, including baggies.?

By all means, compare the three ....

I briefly looked for baggies last year .... did not find something in my budget and did not buy anything at the time.  I have since realised there is some correlation between pricing, padding quality and thus comfort .... I have been advised to visit Anatomic (still trying to confirm if they are open on Saturdays)

I only have two pairs of cycling shorts with "padding" ....  First Accent being the better of the two by far.  So now you know how bad the other one is ....  :whistling:

It appears 9 out of 10 here find bibs more comfortable .... but a slight hint that bathroom breaks are a bit of a schlep.  When my diabetes acts up I take a leak every so often, so certainly something to consider ....

This is the type of riding I do -  

At present limiting rides to less than 2 hours.  (Next visit to the dietitian will be to figure out diabetic safe suppliments for longer rides .... topic for another day.)

maybe this may impact the choice of pants ?

You're probably using cheaper bibs... Not a Diss, just the problem I had with very low cost bibs...

Secondly, mtbers are just a portion of enthusiasts who ride bicycles, so you can't really rule out bibs for everything else...

Would Anatomic be "decent quality" ?

Even with shorts the cheaper brands show up their flaws quickly .....