Tubeless on the road

Popit

3 hours ago, W@nted said:

Bump

As above. I am on the fence about converting my tube road setup (60mm clinchers) to tubeless…

is it worth it? 

can any carbon rim be converted to tubeless using rim tape, valve and sealant with tl tires?

Are there any benefits in rolling resistance and comfort? I currently ride at 7 bar tubed to prevent snake bites with the carbon rims.

The rims must be tubeless compatible, 5 to 5.5 bar is plenty so you get increased comfort and better rolling resistance 

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, W@nted said:

Bump

As above. I am on the fence about converting my tube road setup (60mm clinchers) to tubeless…

is it worth it? 

can any carbon rim be converted to tubeless using rim tape, valve and sealant with tl tires?

Are there any benefits in rolling resistance and comfort? I currently ride at 7 bar tubed to prevent snake bites with the carbon rims.

Had to do a repair on the tubeless tyre the other day............cleaned out the tyre before I put the new stans in again...........the amount of small little thorns that I took out was amazing.....to think in the old days every one of them would have been a puncture stop.  
That alone, to me, is worth it.

Wheels: 
Think you have to go specific tubeless wheels.  
The danger being that some air might leak into the box section of the deepsection part of the wheel and pop the carbon (I've seen pics).  

Rolling resistance:
Cant say that I feel faster on the tubeless...........been on it for about 2 years now

Comfort:
ooooh the comfort...........now THAT you will feel for sure.
I come from racing tubbies at 11 bar.  Went to clinchers racing at around 6-7 bar.
Now down to 4.5 bar tubeless.
Still doing good times all around but with less sore ass and road vibration and and and.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will give it a go. 

Next questions:

1. orange seal still the preferred sealant for tubeless setup?

2. Rim tape preference - Stans?

3. Tires I am leaning towards gp5000 TL.

My only concern is that even the clincher tires (gp5000) are a tight fit on my carbon rims, hopefully I will get the tubeless ones fitted😬

Edited by W@nted

GP5000 TL or Schwalbe pro 1 are the fastest/easiest to set up that I've tried. Pro 1 being a little less puncture resistant in my experience, but a little bit faster/lighter/gripier, in perfect conditions I'd go with the schwalbe but in Cape Town.... Gp 5000s 😅

Sealant I use whatever the shop has, I had Stans race sealant for the most time, now I'm on enduro seal and it has sealed a puncture at the west coast express.

Rim tape I don't know, I've used the un-labelled one from CWC

1 hour ago, W@nted said:

Thanks for the replies. I think I will give it a go. 

Next questions:

1. orange seal still the preferred sealant for tubeless setup?

2. Rim tape preference - Stans?

3. Tires I am leaning towards gp5000 TL.

My only concern is that even the clincher tires (gp5000) are a tight fit on my carbon rims, hopefully I will get the tubeless ones fitted😬

Orange seal is expensive.  
I currently run on Stans.  I hear good things about Enduro Seal but could not get hold off at my LBS.

Had the GP5000 but they have become insane expensive.  So I switched to Pirelli.
Works good enough at this stage at two thirds of the price of the conti. (And fits easier on the rim.)

1 minute ago, Spinnekop said:

Orange seal is expensive.  
I currently run on Stans.  I hear good things about Enduro Seal but could not get hold off at my LBS.

Had the GP5000 but they have become insane expensive.  So I switched to Pirelli.
Works good enough at this stage at two thirds of the price of the conti. (And fits easier on the rim.)

I cant find Pirellis Cinuratos in 28mm anywhere right now, and when I do they are stupidly priced or they have tanned sidewalls.

So currently running a tube in the rear wheel

Thanks, I am a fan of enduro seal in my mtb wheels. Will try it in the road wheels! 

Lastly, can I use my normal valve extenders on short tubeless valves? Currently have the ones that screws on where the valve core is situated. 

5 minutes ago, W@nted said:

Thanks, I am a fan of enduro seal in my mtb wheels. Will try it in the road wheels! 

Lastly, can I use my normal valve extenders on short tubeless valves? Currently have the ones that screws on where the valve core is situated. 

as long as you can take the core out yes. Just beware, with Stans race sealant it could get a bit clogged but you can just clean it every now and then.

If you are convinced later on just buy long valves and replace your cores every year or so when they are too clogged

Edited by Jbr

Currently using 30mm Continental GP5000 STR with JOES SUPER SEALANT. Brilliant tyre, very fast and grippy (feels more grippy than GP5000 clinchers).

Had a puncture that sealed once and another where I used a plug once without losing too much pressure (Dynaplug)

Edited by Vishal72

• 2 weeks later...

We have the last 2x Goodyear Eagle F1 28mm tires in tan colour available to sell at R700 a tire.

PM me to get this deal.

We will likely not keep these in stock going forward as costs have nearly doubled - it was only a matter of time. These tires were far too good to be that cheap for long.

as it stands they will now price out closer to mid/top end tires.

44 minutes ago, Furbz said:

We have the last 2x Goodyear Eagle F1 28mm tires in tan colour available to sell at R700 a tire.

PM me to get this deal.

We will likely not keep these in stock going forward as costs have nearly doubled - it was only a matter of time. These tires were far too good to be that cheap for long.

as it stands they will now price out closer to mid/top end tires.

no they are not, not when the GP 5000 TL are on special for R800 at least. When they are at ridiculous prices like 1700 then maybe...

image.png.0011caf557d0bc9bc0d74d96b9901c49.png

I didn't say anything the first time you highjacked this post to advertise your tyres but since you insisted...

Racing on the F1 feels like driving with the handbrake on

Edited by Jbr

11 minutes ago, Jbr said:

no they are not, not when the GP 5000 TL are on special for R800 at least. When they are at ridiculous prices like 1700 then maybe...

Thats a good deal at R800, provided you are running hooked rims. Where is that available and is that for 28mm version?

keep in mind most stores are shelling these off to buy in the newer version 5000 S TR that is compatible with hookless rims. the 5000TL version is not compatible with the latest wheel design.

fair enough about the hijacking of a thread - i was hoping to give people a cost effective option when gonig tubeless. nothing more.

my favourite tire is still the GP5000 tires, they are stunning as they have puncture protection and great rolling resistance.

my issue is paying more than the cost of a tire for a small car for a bike tire, and then having that tire fail early on due to a tire gash from glass on JHB roads. its expensive to run R1400 tires when you only get 3000km on them and have to turf with plenty tread on them due to a glass cut

Edited by Furbz

9 minutes ago, Jbr said:

just another totally off topic note. the graph above - are people still running 7 and 8.3 bar pressures!?

Just now, Furbz said:

just another totally off topic note. the graph above - are people still running 7 and 8.3 bar pressures!?

they are comparing the 25mm and I hope nobody is using these pressures on actual roads. I run 6 bars in 25mm and used to run 5.8 bars in the last 28mm I had. I can tell you that going back from the F1 to the GP5000 felt like riding a tailwind all the time. I'm just saying it's not a fantastic tyre, but yeah, it has the merit of at least being available in 28mm and be resistant to punctures. But so is the Huntchinson Sector that I have on my training wheels (I got it at cost though, not sure how much that one retails for)