Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My gravel bike.

Bought as a CX Crux below from Complete Cyclist.

post-19771-0-30680600-1593180394_thumb.png

Its had a few upgrades since then.

Bogus spray job. GRX 8010 upgrade. New Wheels. Wider tyres. First went with 40c Ramblers, have come down a bit to 35c.

The difference between cable and hydro brakes are immense. I had to put on XT calipers as GRX was flat mount. Jury is still out on 1 x GRX, I use it mostly on the road and hard pack trails, so perhaps a compact Ultergra groupo would have been better. But GRX felt new and shiny when I was standing in the shop :D

post-19771-0-45641100-1593180477_thumb.jpg

Edited by Patchelicious

The Grey Ghost:

Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2, 2019 from Labie Cyclette, Belgium

Easton Gravel bars, EA70AX, 42mm

Shimano 105 levers and hydraulic brakes

SHIMANO ULTEGRA RX-GS 11-SP REAR DERAILLEUR with clutch..replacement for 105 flappy RD

2 sets wheels stock Alu, P-R2:

1 with Panaracer Gravel King SK 35 up font and 38 in back both @3 Bar, for gravel/off-road

1 with Panaracer Gravel King, the slick version, 35 front and back @ 4bar for the road and occasional off-road/pavement

post-35907-0-10577400-1593182814_thumb.jpeg

Edited by capediver

My gravel bike.

Crux.PNG

Bogus spray job. GRX 8010 upgrade. New Wheels. Wider tyres. First went with 40c Ramblers, have come down a bit to 35c.

The difference between cable and hydro brakes are immense. I had to put on XT calipers as GRX was flat mount. Jury is still out on 1 x GRX, I use it mostly on the road and hard pack trails, so perhaps a compact Ultergra groupo would have been better. But GRX felt new and shiny when I was standing in the shop :D

Struggling with the same decision. There's a 2x11 Grx setup which may tick the boxes.

My gravel bike.

attachicon.gifCrux.PNG

Hydro brakes are awesome, so little effort and brilliant modulation . 1x is brilliant 1:1 ratio seems best combo for most rides 42 & 11/42 cassette.

My gravel bike

Lynskey GR270 imported frame and fork and seatpost Shimano 105 11 speed hydraulic brakes compact crankset American Classic wheel set Brooks Cambium saddle eggbeaters .

Panaracer Gravel Kings 700 X 43 .

Lynskey makes excellent frames. How's it handle the corrugated roads of the Weltevrede loop? 

Hydro brakes are awesome, so little effort and brilliant modulation . 1x is brilliant 1:1 ratio seems best combo for most rides 42 & 11/42 cassette.

I wanted to post a pic of Fiona, because as much as it pains me, that was a better gravel bike. Fiona + the components on the Crux = Groadie perfection!

The Grey Ghost:

Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2, 2019 from Labie Cyclette, Belgium

Easton Gravel bars, EA70AX, 42mm

Shimano 105 levers and hydraulic brakes

SHIMANO ULTEGRA RX-GS 11-SP REAR DERAILLEUR with clutch..replacement for 105 flappy RD

2 sets wheels stock Alu, P-R2:

1 with Panaracer Gravel King SK 35 up font and 38 in back both @3 Bar, for gravel/off-road

1 with Panaracer Gravel King, the slick version, 35 front and back @ 4bar for the road and occasional off-road/pavement

Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2.jpeg

A well kept secret which many overlook... Ultegra RX. Edited by CAAD4

I wanted to post a pic of Fiona, because as much as it pains me, that was a better gravel bike. Fiona + the components on the Crux = Groadie perfection!

As you wish with hydraulic ultegra upgrade.....gravel tyres & some road 32’s...some groading with mates bloody good times .

post-51529-0-17226400-1593197948_thumb.jpeg

post-51529-0-43320800-1593197961_thumb.jpeg

post-51529-0-77324800-1593197970_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Pikey

A well kept secret which many overlook...

I’m new to this groadie and even roadie “revolution “, coming from a bike parky, DH background and am really enjoying the new avenues these bikes have opened up....from the occasional trip up the greenbelt and to various trail networks with mates every other weekend, I’m now riding EVERY day, road, gravel, trail, both bikes...ok so LD does factor into that cause I can’t get back to work for a few more weeks but making the most of it like a kid with a new toy, or a grom with a new board!

Drooling

She’s been a pleasure for sure. The 2 x was the right choice for more road and the GRX has been very good since I put in the time to get the indexing sweet. My favourite features are the SWAT storage and that seat post, great compliance there it really helps on the bumps.

She’s been a pleasure for sure. The 2 x was the right choice for more road and the GRX has been very good since I put in the time to get the indexing sweet. My favourite features are the SWAT storage and that seat post, great compliance there it really helps on the bumps.

What's your take on the Future Shock?

What's your take on the Future Shock?

I come from a MTB background (used to suspension) and I can’t say that I feel any bobbing or movement at all when riding on smooth surfaces (even though I tried to notice it and can see movement when not locked out) but I can tell that it helps with chatter and some bigger bumps which I appreciate. I prefer it to fork based suspension in theory.

Make no mistake it’s still not as plush as a MTB with suspension locked out, the tire sizes make sure of that.