Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally finished my build, was done primarily as a commuter bike. 26er Giant XTC frame, Lynskey steel fork, 29er wheels with 35c tyres, 9 speed Dura Ace STI’s with 9 speed XT derailleur (shifting is smooth as butter), Tektro mechanical disk calipers and flared bars from Rapide.

c1df83c6fbe8540cc665d55ed75e55bf.jpg

Frame had to be filed out a little to create clearance for the wheel, may still need to take a little out:

8a2fc672e708bdb4cfe817f85acdc25f.jpg

Have had a few short rides around the neighborhood, and down some gravel track, it rides very nicely.

Thanks to all the hubbers (you know who you are) who helped with bits and bobs, some beers/coffee/cash still needs to change hands!

Finally finished my build, was done primarily as a commuter bike. 26er Giant XTC frame, Lynskey steel fork, 29er wheels with 35c tyres, 9 speed Dura Ace STI’s with 9 speed XT derailleur (shifting is smooth as butter), Tektro mechanical disk calipers and flared bars from Rapide.

c1df83c6fbe8540cc665d55ed75e55bf.jpg

Frame had to be filed out a little to create clearance for the wheel, may still need to take a little out:

8a2fc672e708bdb4cfe817f85acdc25f.jpg

Have had a few short rides around the neighborhood, and down some gravel track, it rides very nicely.

Thanks to all the hubbers (you know who you are) who helped with bits and bobs, some beers/coffee/cash still needs to change hands!

Good job Stretch,. love it when bikes are built in this fashion (as opposed to off the shelf, nothing wrong with those either though I must add)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I was in the market to buy a gravel bike to add a bit of adventure to my cycling routine. I tested out a carbon bike with carbon rims and even though i really enjoyed the experience and made my final decision to commit towards buying one, i couldn’t help but notice the amount of vibration i felt on the corrugated gravel roads. I wasn’t expecting miracles in this sense since after all, it is a road bike with gravel tyres on but, it did however make me research this topic and after some conversation with cycling enthusiast friends, i came across Calculus’s hand crafted titanium bikes. On paper this metal was the solution for not only absorbing my vibration concern but, also i now had the opportunity to really do something unique! Millar from Calculus bikes assisted with the design and manufacturing process and Paul from White Stone Cycles did the build.

The outcome was very successful and I couldn’t help but really notice a difference in terms of vibration. One more thing....the bike came out looking awesome!!! I have done some cool multi day trips with the bike and i am super chuffed with the ride feel this bike has given me. Well done Paul and Millar!! Check out my cool bike below.....post-135770-0-31778600-1537288012_thumb.jpeg

Hi,

I was in the market to buy a gravel bike to add a bit of adventure to my cycling routine. I tested out a carbon bike with carbon rims and even though i really enjoyed the experience and made my final decision to commit towards buying one, i couldn’t help but notice the amount of vibration i felt on the corrugated gravel roads. I wasn’t expecting miracles in this sense since after all, it is a road bike with gravel tyres on but, it did however make me research this topic and after some conversation with cycling enthusiast friends, i came across Calculus’s hand crafted titanium bikes. On paper this metal was the solution for not only absorbing my vibration concern but, also i now had the opportunity to really do something unique! Millar from Calculus bikes assisted with the design and manufacturing process and Paul from White Stone Cycles did the build.

The outcome was very successful and I couldn’t help but really notice a difference in terms of vibration. One more thing....the bike came out looking awesome!!! I have done some cool multi day trips with the bike and i am super chuffed with the ride feel this bike has given me. Well done Paul and Millar!! Check out my cool bike below.....attachicon.gif6FF6AA07-6636-44B1-8721-E3E68C3327D1.jpeg

Theres a big difference between a CX bike and Gravel bikes almost like a 100mm mtb race bike vs a 130mm trail bike.Even a CX bike isn't just a road bike with big tyres on.

I have ridden a few Gravel bikes and steel was still the best out the lot for vibrations.You also have to compare tyre sizes and widths to get a proper comparison.

Custom all the way.

So incredibly satisfying riding a bike built to your measurements and specifications. 

David Mercer built this Columbus steel framed gravel bike for me, as well as a custom steel fork.

I sourced the build-kit and Jared at BMC did the paint job exactly as I imagined. 

I could not be happier with the bike. 

I love it. 

Sram Apex 1x11 groupset with hydrauylic disc brakes

Easton wheelset

Panaracer 43c gravelking tyres

post-2167-0-67188600-1537344264_thumb.jpg

post-2167-0-07415200-1537344281_thumb.jpg

post-2167-0-13926400-1537344313_thumb.jpg

post-2167-0-75728600-1537344327_thumb.jpg

I have.  Works for me.

Depends on what you want to use it for I suppose.

Different strokes....

So what do you use it for?

Road or gravel noise reduction?

Seems quite expensive. How much better is it than double-wrapping bar tape?

Custom all the way.

So incredibly satisfying riding a bike built to your measurements and specifications. 

David Mercer built this Columbus steel framed gravel bike for me, as well as a custom steel fork.

I sourced the build-kit and Jared at BMC did the paint job exactly as I imagined. 

I love it. 

Easton wheelset

Damn that's pretty :drool:  :thumbup:

Double bar tape not really going to help when you are rattling you teeth out

Custom all the way.

I love it. 

Easton wheelset

"Officer!! It was the guy on the purple bike!!" - while you ride past on your 'blue' one!!

but stunning bike man! that's a thing of true beauty!!

I have foam with double bar tape on some of my Jones bar.  It hardly makes any difference apart from hand size comfort. Tried the Girvin(Sp) and it works ok'ish but this is the biz.

On the Jones bar it only works properly on the middle and forward hand positions and hardly at all in the sweep.  This suits me perfectly with no bobs and ducks and dives.

The elastomers supplied are certainly a far cry from the old.  This is where the difference lies and the whole system is adjustable to suit YOUR requirements. (Don't knock it until you have tried it)

I use this for distance touring on gravel and tar.  I do not want fatigue in my hands and I am extremely comfortable with the variable set-up I have available.

Once again, different strokes.....  It does not help me at all trying to be hard core with pain in my wrists, shoulders and fingers when you have 50kms or gravel to do!

Noise reduction?  Whats that????  None on the tar anyway but yes, it does do away with some of the vibration and noise on the tar.  But is this a problem?  I am only interested in the big knocks when sleep-riding.

Edited by Sepia