Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

Hi,

I was in the market to buy a gravel bike to add a bit of adventure to my cycling routine. I tested out a carbon bike with carbon rims and even though i really enjoyed the experience and made my final decision to commit towards buying one, i couldn’t help but notice the amount of vibration i felt on the corrugated gravel roads. I wasn’t expecting miracles in this sense since after all, it is a road bike with gravel tyres on but, it did however make me research this topic and after some conversation with cycling enthusiast friends, i came across Calculus’s hand crafted titanium bikes. On paper this metal was the solution for not only absorbing my vibration concern but, also i now had the opportunity to really do something unique! Millar from Calculus bikes assisted with the design and manufacturing process and Paul from White Stone Cycles did the build.

The outcome was very successful and I couldn’t help but really notice a difference in terms of vibration. One more thing....the bike came out looking awesome!!! I have done some cool multi day trips with the bike and i am super chuffed with the ride feel this bike has given me. Well done Paul and Millar!! Check out my cool bike below.....attachicon.gif6FF6AA07-6636-44B1-8721-E3E68C3327D1.jpeg

Wow..... Stunning! What would I need to budget roughly for a frame like that?? I'm looking to upgrade from my Specialized Secteur (now part of the Diverge model range I think ). It's alu with Carbon fork (Zertz) and flatbar conversion. On 32c tyres it has a really damped feel and rides beautifully. Just wondering if I will be going backwards or getting marginal gains on an 'upgrade'. Thinking of Farr, Carbon Diverge, Silex, Siablo, Anyroad....Would like more upright geo, prefer hydro brakes, 2 x11, Strong wheelset, flared bars.....Input anyone?

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jonesy.

Glad you approve of the work we are doing.

We really try our best to put the rider in the center of the design process to deliver something special.  Every smile thereafter we get from a client shows a job well done.

Pricing for a gravel frame like Zandre's is R35k for the total custom titanium design project from bike fit to delivery.

Check your PM for further details.

Kind regards

Millar

Wow..... Stunning! What would I need to budget roughly for a frame like that?? I'm looking to upgrade from my Specialized Secteur (now part of the Diverge model range I think ). It's alu with Carbon fork (Zertz) and flatbar conversion. On 32c tyres it has a really damped feel and rides beautifully. Just wondering if I will be going backwards or getting marginal gains on an 'upgrade'. Thinking of Farr, Carbon Diverge, Silex, Siablo, Anyroad....Would like more upright geo, prefer hydro brakes, 2 x11, Strong wheelset, flared bars.....Input anyone?

Opted for a more touring orientated gravel bike, picked up a 2nd hand Specialized Sequoia Elite from Benky on theHub. Proving to be a great buy.

Steel frame, carbon fork, full 105 hydraulic groupset.

Pic taken somewhere behind Heidelberg (WC) midway through day 1 of a 4 day trip I'm doing.549443af198888ddbf27a5202b02deb0.jpg

• 1 year later...

Any experience with CAADX frame/bikes? Looking at 2018 CAADX Ultegra, R23 000 for the bike is not bad. For duel use, road and gravel miles. Comes with 38 tyres, I'd ideally fit 40 if the frame allows.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Custom all the way.

So incredibly satisfying riding a bike built to your measurements and specifications. 

David Mercer built this Columbus steel framed gravel bike for me, as well as a custom steel fork.

I sourced the build-kit and Jared at BMC did the paint job exactly as I imagined. 

I could not be happier with the bike. 

I love it. 

Sram Apex 1x11 groupset with hydrauylic disc brakes

Easton wheelset

Panaracer 43c gravelking tyres

SICK paint job. Very unique, never seen that before. 

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, I am looking at getting a Canyon Inflite CX bike. In your opinion could the bike act as a good road bike with a set of carbon wheels and slicks. 

Bike as picture except with Ultegra 

full_2021_inflite-cf-sl-8_gy-bk_2779_P5.

Hey guys, I am looking at getting a Canyon Inflite CX bike. In your opinion could the bike act as a good road bike with a set of carbon wheels and slicks. 

Very nice bike. Just make sure you allowed to put a frame bag and a top tube bag on for warranty purposes? :ph34r: 

I don't see why not.

I have made the comment before, that if I wasn't racing on the road, I would only have the Farr gravel bike (posted above) with two sets of wheels, one with road tyres and one with gravel tyres.

*Edit: You may need to play around with the size of the chainring, as gearing requirements for the road are different to gravel

Edited by Schnavel