Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

Lynskey makes excellent frames. How's it handle the corrugated roads of the Weltevrede loop?

My everyday bike is a Mtb hardtail so the rear of the Lynskey does not bother me but the rigid fork although carbon was not nice on the corrugations . Can not afford a Lauf but fitted a Redshift stem which takes the bite out of the corrugations .

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My gravel bike

Lynskey GR270 imported frame and fork and seatpost Shimano 105 11 speed hydraulic brakes compact crankset American Classic wheel set Brooks Cambium saddle eggbeaters .

Panaracer Gravel Kings 700 X 43 .

:clap: YES PLEASE SIR  :clap: 

:thumbup:  MORE DETAILED PITCHA'S PLEASE ! !  :thumbup:  

I come from a MTB background (used to suspension) and I can’t say that I feel any bobbing or movement at all when riding on smooth surfaces (even though I tried to notice it and can see movement when not locked out) but I can tell that it helps with chatter and some bigger bumps which I appreciate. I prefer it to fork based suspension in theory.

Make no mistake it’s still not as plush as a MTB with suspension locked out, the tire sizes make sure of that.

Fully agree with you in this regard, I absolutely love my gravelbike (Checkpoint SL6) but my "chassis sensitivity" took some time to adjust to the bumps etc., especially after only being used to my mountainbike...  :)

Edited by Charlie600

Hey guys, I am looking at getting a Canyon Inflite CX bike. In your opinion could the bike act as a good road bike with a set of carbon wheels and slicks. 

Bike as picture except with Ultegra 

full_2021_inflite-cf-sl-8_gy-bk_2779_P5.

Maybe have a chat with the guys from Canyon Cafe in Stellenbosch, I know they have two Inflite's set up with 25c road tyres and they've been loving it. 

Another idea which I've seen locally as well is the Canyon Endurace with gravel tyres fitted, this would be a more road then all out gravel bike but I know JB from Canyon North America has used his Endurace set up with gravel tyres in quite a few events. 

It depends on the riding/racing you plan on doing but there's a fair few combinations from Canyon whether its the Inflite or even Grail with road wheels or the Endurace with gravel wheels. 

2017 Giant TCX SLR 2, bought 2nd-hand on the hub.

Replaced the drivetrain with SRAM Apex 1 x 11 (mechanical - kept the TRP disk brakes). I run 42t upfront with a 11-42 cassette (Sunrace) at the back. Changed the handlebars to Easton EA70AX. Upgraded to Rapide TR29 wheelset with WTB Resolute (700 x 42c) tires.

Great on-road and off-road.

post-30868-0-31355600-1593356046_thumb.jpg

2017 Giant TCX SLR 2, bought 2nd-hand on the hub.

Replaced the drivetrain with SRAM Apex 1 x 11 (mechanical - kept the TRP disk brakes). I run 42t upfront with a 11-42 cassette (Sunrace) at the back. Changed the handlebars to Easton EA70AX. Upgraded to Rapide TR29 wheelset with WTB Resolute (700 x 42c) tires.

Great on-road and off-road.

Nice, I have the same wheelset. How are these tyres on the road? As I do about 80% road on my gravel bike.

Hi All

My baisiekel is a Cotic Escapade. I got it from everywhere off the Hub.....Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth and even Putsonderwater.... I decided to build my own due to the price of new well specced gravel bikes, but mainly because i love building my own stuff... I wanted a cruiser and also a bikepacking bike. 

Drivetrain: SRAM 1X11 Apex

Rims - No idea, but they can take a trashing

Tyres - Panaracer Gravelkings

Seat - Brooks

post-134649-0-62852900-1593363919_thumb.jpg

Hi All

My baisiekel is a Cotic Escapade. I got it from everywhere off the Hub.....Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth and even Putsonderwater.... I decided to build my own due to the price of new well specced gravel bikes, but mainly because i love building my own stuff... I wanted a cruiser and also a bikepacking bike. 

Drivetrain: SRAM 1X11 Apex

Rims - No idea, but they can take a trashing

Tyres - Panaracer Gravelkings

Seat - Brooks

So you're the guy that beat me to that frame!

Nice, I have the same wheelset. How are these tyres on the road? As I do about 80% road on my gravel bike.

Not that fast - quite a bit of rolling resistance, otherwise awesome tyres. Been looking around at a replacement set (faster on the road) once these are worn. Think Panaracer GravelKing SK will be great.

For a lot of road use, I think the WTB Byways would be brilliant!