Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

Finally getting a gravel frame. Thanks Peds, taking his Fuji frame off his hands. It May be another month or 2 until it is ready to roll as I must still source some wheels and shifters. Budget spent for this month.

You will not regret it! Awesome frame.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shout when you needing wheels - I have a set of Shimano RX05 wheels lying around that I need to get rid of to fund newer toys  :thumbup:

Finally getting a gravel frame. Thanks Peds, taking his Fuji frame off his hands. It May be another month or 2 until it is ready to roll as I must still source some wheels and shifters. Budget spent for this month.

Need some advise please guys

Looking at getting a Momsen R355.  The bike seems well specked. The does not seem to me that there is any part that would make you think a new to replace this immediately.

Should I be looking at other options in this R35k-R40k bracket?

Maybe a Cannodale Slate Apex with a lefty (comfort)?  Or is a rigid fork the way to go?

Would like some good tire clearance for maybe some 27.5 or 29er 2.1 tires

Thanks in advance

So, my next question:  Tyre choices:

Currently the options i'm considering will either take a 700c 42mm max tyre or 650b 42mm max tyre size (and I am not 100% certain on that width, it may even be 40mm).  Obviously i want to use the widest tyres possible, as well as tubeless compatibility and reasonable protection, so what are my options in those sizes? 

So far I can see:

Maxxis Rambler

Schwalbe G-One or X-One

Kenda Inflintridge Pro

Also not sure if one can get these locally...

Apparently the Specialized 38c Triggers are the bomb! 

Need some advise please guys

Looking at getting a Momsen R355.  The bike seems well specked. The does not seem to me that there is any part that would make you think a new to replace this immediately.

Should I be looking at other options in this R35k-R40k bracket?

Maybe a Cannodale Slate Apex with a lefty (comfort)?  Or is a rigid fork the way to go?

Would like some good tire clearance for maybe some 27.5 or 29er 2.1 tires

Thanks in advance

i rode the 94.7 MTB race on my XC bike. 

I would have liked the suspension, but i think it goes against what a gravel bike is meant to be.

In my mind XC bikes are designed to tear up clean smooth trails. Anything that gets too bumpy should be done on a MTB.

I've been through a process with Calculus bikes to custom build something that is 'mine' and certainly unique compared to anything to buy stock standard. Sitting with the engineer mind behind these titanium builds, I was able to build the frame exactly as I wanted to the finest detail.. BB height, Head angle, seatstay and chainstay length, rake vs trail etc. You can consider everything you want, like responsiveness, handling wheelbase, tyre clearance and even cable routing(mechanical but possibly electronic in future)! Top that off with some custom sandblasted decals of your choice and nothing really come close. 

post-131158-0-60383700-1527853065_thumb.jpg

post-131158-0-07714700-1527853081_thumb.jpg

What are the thoughts on this particular bike??

http://cyclefactory.co.za/shop/bicycles/merida-silex-400-grave/

That does seem like a pretty good deal

Also struggling with decision of a cheaper alloy gravel bike like

Momsen GP300, Merida Silex 400, Scott Speedster Gravel 10 (All below R25K)

Or is it really necessary for carbon bike at R35K+ like

Momsen R355, Merida Silex 7000, Cannondale SuperX

Isn't tire clearance more important?

That does seem like a pretty good deal

Also struggling with decision of a cheaper alloy gravel bike like

Momsen GP300, Merida Silex 400, Scott Speedster Gravel 10 (All below R25K)

Or is it really necessary for carbon bike at R35K+ like

Momsen R355, Merida Silex 7000, Cannondale SuperX

Isn't tire clearance more important?

the carbon will be more forgiving for certain.

most alloy bikes come with all the components being allu - if you change the bars and seatpost to carbon this would make a pretty big difference to comfort - but at a cost.

you might find it was a better idea to buy the carbon bike in the first place if you go that route

as for tires, try get a bike with good clearance for large tires - that will allow you to run the pressures lower and increase comfort.

the biggest think i can think of is the tires and having carbon CX bars to kill off the vibration - you hands will thank you for it

most alloy bikes come with all the components being allu - if you change the bars and seatpost to carbon this would make a pretty big difference to comfort - but at a cost.

you might find it was a better idea to buy the carbon bike in the first place if you go that route

as for tires, try get a bike with good clearance for large tires - that will allow you to run the pressures lower and increase comfort.

the biggest think i can think of is the tires and having carbon CX bars to kill off the vibration - you hands will thank you for it

Makes a lot of sense Furbz

Not concerned about vibration at the the rear, main issue is upfront.

The Momsen GP300 does seem very tempting at only R15k from Bike-Addict with the 1x drivetrain with Sram Apex and Rival components.  Will leave me with a little extra to upgrade the wheels and cockpit

Sure I will be able to drop the weight claimed at 10.22kg by about 500g or more

Only issue maybe is the alloy fork, but it has clearance for 50C or 29x2.1 tires

Furbz is 100% correct. 

I have a Niner RLT Alu with carbon fork, rest all Alu (Shimano 105 and Niner components) that I bought for about R25k backend of 2015. 

Frame can accommodate up to 42c.

A really harsh ride with 32c tyres (about 2.3-2.5 Bar for gravel, 3-3.5 Bar for tar)

Gets much better with 40c tyres at 2-2.5 Bar. 

Bike is also heavy at around 10kg.

In 2015 there was little choice for gravel bikes - the scene exploded since then as we all know.

If I had to do it all over again.  I would do a custom build, so you get exactly what you want.

Smart man, a custom is the way to go!

Furbz is 100% correct. 

I have a Niner RLT Alu with carbon fork, rest all Alu (Shimano 105 and Niner components) that I bought for about R25k backend of 2015. 

Frame can accommodate up to 42c.

A really harsh ride with 32c tyres (about 2.3-2.5 Bar for gravel, 3-3.5 Bar for tar)

Gets much better with 40c tyres at 2-2.5 Bar. 

Bike is also heavy at around 10kg.

In 2015 there was little choice for gravel bikes - the scene exploded since then as we all know.

If I had to do it all over again.  I would do a custom build, so you get exactly what you want.

Don't quite agree with "carbon will be more forgiving for certain".

Comparing Alum frame with CF frame "forgivingness" (compliance) based only on the type of material used is not very informed.

You are firstly comparing an isotropic material to a composite, and also ignoring geometry, tube profiles and layups of the CF which has a much larger impact on ride characteristics of the frame than the material used.

Point is: ride different frames (if possible) test different tires and wheels and decide on the feel of the total setup.

Cheers

CB