[Event] 2018 The Munga

walkerr

I'm pretty sure I get what Alex was trying to do in the briefing when he talked about social riders not necessarily coming under the same drafting rules. He recognizes there are definitely 2 races within the Munga; those battling for honours, time, and places; and those on a personal battle just to finish. I'm not convinced the handling of drafting really was done right in that respect - but I get where his intention was. My buddy and I entered purely with the aim to finish, which we managed right at the tail. It was a relief to be able to ride together without worrying if someone would construe us as drafting just because one happened to be in front of the other. A great deal of the time we rode side by side, but the trail did not always allow that. At other times we were quite far apart as pace and fatigue dictated. In fact at almost no time would I really say we actually drafted (as above, being a roadie, I know what that means and feels like).  And we certainly did not infringe on any other rules or etiquette - gates, outside support, sticking to route etc. We rode and finished clear and clean I would say.

It's difficult for the organizers here I feel - there are not 150 genuine racers who can win (or even finish) this thing. It makes sense to me that there is a social / aiming to finish category where specifically drafting is a more relaxed thing. If Munga does not attract riders, it will not continue - and probably a sizeable portion of the entrants are in the aim to finish / social category. Sounds like the relaxed drafting application was taken and used way higher up the race order than it should have been allowed, or was intended.

Seems to be one way they could deal with this is having a split classification - GC, and the chance for podiums etc then non drafting applies. Social riders can get a medal, a time, a position on the overall finishers list, but not a GC place if they have drafted. Of course that assumes honesty or policing of drafting, which is near impossible.

Either way, still a great event and a privilege to ride. Definitely up there as a highlight of my year.

Edited by walkerr

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To all of you out there thinking of entering for 2019 - just effing do it!

Toughest thing I've ever done, and loved (almost) every second of it.

Congratulations, walkerr.

What an achievement.

Celebrate lots. Let this sink in.

Then only think forward of your next challenge.  :devil:

Congratulations, walkerr.

What an achievement.

Celebrate lots. Let this sink in.

Then only think forward of your next challenge.  :devil:

Thanks 'Dale

And pop goes the soap bubble

I say let people draft outside top 10. But outside assistance, even lifting via ambo when off course, is a big no.

If a participant wants KFC, he must go get it himself, but join the course where he left it

And pop goes the soap bubble

I say let people draft outside top 10. But outside assistance, even lifting via ambo when off course, is a big no.

If a participant wants KFC, he must go get it himself, but join the course where he left it

I still think drafting if the rules say 'no' should be strictly enforced for any GC place being raced for. Only accepted for those riding socially. Everyone racing gets a warning/time penalty, and finally dropped from GC if they persist.

Can you really say you did the Munga if you drafted all the way??

like saying you raced Argust as a wheelsucker ?

I'm pretty sure I get what Alex was trying to do in the briefing when he talked about social riders not necessarily coming under the same drafting rules. He recognizes there are definitely 2 races within the Munga; those battling for honours, time, and places; and those on a personal battle just to finish. I'm not convinced the handling of drafting really was done right in that respect - but I get where his intention was. My buddy and I entered purely with the aim to finish, which we managed right at the tail.

<snip>

Seems to be one way they could deal with this is having a split classification - GC, and the chance for podiums etc then non drafting applies. Social riders can get a medal, a time, a position on the overall finishers list, but not a GC place if they have drafted. Of course that assumes honesty or policing of drafting, which is near impossible.

<snip>

I am competitive in (shorter) races.  Not competing for prizes / winnings but against the group of people who are of a similar ability to myself, even if we are coming in in 200th place.  In a race like The Munga, it is so far beyond what I have ever attempted before, so I would be in the group of just trying to finish.  But I would also be competing to do the best I could, to get a medal with the lowest number possible.  And that's the problem:  the medal has a number on it.  The person who got number 108 may be better than a few people who got medals with lower numbers, but those people "cheated" - except they didn't, because it is within the rules.

The split classification could work here.  GC classification would get numbered medals, official time and official position.   Non-GC would a medal without a number, and a "also finished with a time of xx:xx:xx", but not an official position.  When you register for the race, you choose your classification.  If you choose social class, then the rules are relaxed for you; drafting is allowed, you can be brought back on course by the ambulance etc.  If you choose GC class, the rules are strict: no drafting (after RV1), enter the course where you left, if you enter a vehicle you are disqualified (from GC, you could be dropped down to social class).

In GC class, minor rule breaches could be given time penalties, up to a point where you will be dropped down to social class.  Social class would still have rules; eg climbing into a car and traveling in it to the next WP would be a disqualification.

Social class could still be given a position, but everyone in social class gets the same position.  The way I would like to see it is not that they get the next position after all GC class riders.  eg: 50 GC riders finish, so social class gets 51.  I would want it so social class gets absolute last position. eg: 50 GC riders finish and 50 social riders finish, social class gets a position of 100.

In this scenario I would register for GC class; I would rather not finish / miss the cut having given everything I could to get the numbered medal, than to know I went beyond the limits of the original spirit of the race to get the "Also Finished" medal.

Or just enforce the rules rigidly, and disqualify people for breaking rules.  This would mean less people get medals and they would be more valued by those who can get them.

What is with all this lets have different classifications and relaxing of rules??

The Munga has been sold as a self supported Ultra Endurance Event and that is what it should be..... not a 4 day coffee ride!!

The more you start deviating from this the more you diminish the event !! 

What is with all this lets have different classifications and relaxing of rules??

The Munga has been sold as a self supported Ultra Endurance Event and that is what it should be..... not a 4 day coffee ride!!

Well said

HTFU(B) or go home

Or just enforce the rules rigidly, and disqualify people for breaking rules.  This would mean less people get medals and they would be more valued by those who can get them.

That is what it must be.