New rider recovering from first stage race

Been on the MTB for 2 years and just finished my first stage race last week.(joburg2c), I’m 51 and 105kg so I guess that puts me in the inexperienced buffalo category.

My next race is the Waterbury Traverse on 2 Jun at 299km and my goal is to comfortably finish.

Qs?

How long would you stay off the bike after a stage race?

What kind of training would you recommend in the month I have left?

My current plan is to just spin the legs until 9 May, get as many massages as I can, then train for 2 weeks, then back off a lot for the last week.

Any articles you could recommend me to read would be appreciated.

Thx

I would actually not stay off the bike really.  Your body is getting used to the exercise.  I would however as you say cycle at a lower intensity and do more LSD (long slow distance) rides.  Then do a short build up with some intervals building and as you say slightly tappering towards the last week.  

You mentioned 105 kg but not your height but I assume there is rooms for approvement with you weight.  Trying to loose some weight will help (but healthy loss and not too much ie 0,5 - 1 kg / week).

Going into an event 4 kg lighter might not be bad at all at the end.

Jerry, I did the J2C in 2016, and the very next weekend did a 3 day stage race in Worcester, without any repercussions. I must admit, my partner and myself (who also did the J2C with me) did not really push that hard, and we finished every day with comfort. 

I was also your current age at that stage, but do weigh 20kg less than you.

As said, do not stay off the bike too long to start loosing your very good endurance base, listen to your body, rest if you are feeling tired, train hard when you feel good, etc. I would say, stick to the training program you used to prepare for the J2C.

Very importantly, look at your diet, and take your supplements in order to keep your system operating optimally. 

Been on the MTB for 2 years and just finished my first stage race last week.(joburg2c), I’m 51 and 105kg so I guess that puts me in the inexperienced buffalo category.

My next race is the Waterbury Traverse on 2 Jun at 299km and my goal is to comfortably finish.

Qs?

My current plan is to just spin the legs until 9 May, get as many massages as I can, then train for 2 weeks, then back off a lot for the last week.

Thx

Wow, well done on completing Joberg2C! It looks like quite an event. 

I don't know how to recover for an event like that. If you are feeling good, and are injury free, I would really just jump back into it after a few recovery rides. With three weeks potential training time, I would really just focus on keeping my existing fitness. 

if you used a HRM for your rides (training and the joburg2c itself), get a trainingpeaks subscription @ R130 for this month.

they have a fitness graph with 3 lines.  One is CTL or fitness, the next is ATL or fatigue and the final one is TSB or form which is calculated by TSB = CTL - ATL.  These numbers change daily based on your training load and your recovery, but trainingpeaks does that all for you.

after joburg2c your form (TSB) will be FAR negative, as in -100 ish;  You need to take it really easy until this number gets well into the positive (+) figures and keep it there for a about a week.  This means slow rides, recovery rides, sitting on the couch etc.

Once it is positive for a week or more, you can train again as you wish, but given the base miles you've accumulated I'll only do intervals or short hard sessions.  You also want to go into your next race with a TSB of between 10 and 25 positive, so checking that number will help you to manage your taper closer to the next race also.

I would actually not stay off the bike really.  Your body is getting used to the exercise.  I would however as you say cycle at a lower intensity and do more LSD (long slow distance) rides.  Then do a short build up with some intervals building and as you say slightly tappering towards the last week.  

You mentioned 105 kg but not your height but I assume there is rooms for approvement with you weight.  Trying to loose some weight will help (but healthy loss and not too much ie 0,5 - 1 kg / week).

Going into an event 4 kg lighter might not be bad at all at the end.

+100000

Far too little info available to make ANY recommendations IMO.

A good coach would be able to guide you better.

Steps that need to be done:

1. Assessment of current fitness level incl. skill level, bike set-up & preferred outcomes analysis

2. Design a training/recovery/eating plan (which can be tweaked for the rest of your riding life).

3. Implement and enjoy

The base is always: where are you and where do you want to get to?

Each journey is individual and the hub will only give you X-variations of their own experience.

Nice. But not really helpful.

J2C as a first stage event is good work. Well done. You came through it, so you know the general areas to improve.

However, the Traverse is a completely different event. Each event requires a different preparation. Just don't overdo it in prep or in event. No doubt you will make it fine.

And yes, dropping a few kilos is always advisable....eating correctly with the training will take care of that.

Good luck

Qs?

Thx

if its any consolation, i was also one of the heavier buffalos at 103kg

Well done on the completion . Just keep training your normal routes but spinning more . Taper off towards  the start of the next    race .  Watch your food intake you have a enough energy in the 105 kg you now weigh . At 100 kg with your current fitness you will do a lot better on the next stage race . I started cycling again in July last year at 124kg and now im 95 kg and have not had the guts to try an event like that . My goal is 90 kg before i ride my first stage race . 

Recovery is very individual as some recover quicker than others.  The question was asked how do you feel after the races.... if shattered and stiff then take longer time off, if feeling good, get back on the bike, do some coffee rides (LSD) and spin some of the tiredness out of your legs.

You should be doing some exercise, whether cycling or some cross training as active recovery. 

Personally I would take a day or two completely off, day 3 onwards an hour or so light spin.  By the following weekend I would go for an easy long ride and see how it felt.... if good then would be back into light training the following week and starting to ramp it up, so by the 2nd weekend after finishing will be back to normal and training normal.

Donovan

I feel good, aching muscles, but no joint or tendon pain

Bataleur

Agree on the weight. I’m 105kg, 180cm with 30% body fat, so losing 15kg in a controlled way is the way to go. I’m now on the Banting bandwagon, so will see how that goes. If it can get to 100kg but 2 June, that would be a good start.

Rudi-h

I been using training peaks for the last 6 months. At the end of joburg2c Fitness was 128, Fatigue was 218 and Form was -123. Today those numbers are 117,122 and -22.

I started joburg2c with +17 on form, so stating the next event within the +10-25 range you suggest sounds like a good idea. Thanks for that.

Shaper

Thanks for that, I’m feeling much better now. I’m going to try a long ride this weekend and go from there. Will probably fit flat pedals and try to learn to wheelie to make it more fun.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts

Donovan

I feel good, aching muscles, but no joint or tendon pain

Bataleur

Agree on the weight. I’m 105kg, 180cm with 30% body fat, so losing 15kg in a controlled way is the way to go. I’m now on the Banting bandwagon, so will see how that goes. If it can get to 100kg but 2 June, that would be a good start.

Rudi-h

I been using training peaks for the last 6 months. At the end of joburg2c Fitness was 128, Fatigue was 218 and Form was -123. Today those numbers are 117,122 and -22.

I started joburg2c with +17 on form, so stating the next event within the +10-25 range you suggest sounds like a good idea. Thanks for that.

Shaper

Thanks for that, I’m feeling much better now. I’m going to try a long ride this weekend and go from there. Will probably fit flat pedals and try to learn to wheelie to make it more fun.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts

Be carefull of losing too much weight in too short time frame.  It can bite you. 

• 1 month later...

Ok, I did some reading, went all in on a Banting diet since j2c, dropped 6kg, did the Waterbury Traverse in 18:47hrs riding and 21:21 hrs total.

Pretty happy with that.

This Banting thing is working really well for me and my buddy, we did the event on a diet of nuts, cheese, eggs and sausage/wurst. Recovery was great and am back out on the bike after 1 days rest.