Karoo to Coast

Marichen

As far as I am aware the proceeds go to charity - I am happy for more cash to go to the locals than creating hospitality for us more fortunate souls

You create better hospitality, more people stick around for longer and buy more food and beer from vendors - sponsors are happy & more money for charity as well.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yoh, Hard Man! Those people doing 6 hours with 2 bottles will really appreciate your views. Theoretically you should then be able to finish within the top 20 being so hard and never stopping for food and drink, carrying all your spare food and water on your body?

Dude I was even more unfit last year and did 6 hrs (when I started out even took longer to do the route), so there is precedent for my comments, back then there was only water and small wheels, to boot.

I was so broken that I even walked most of Kom se pad. So I have been there and experienced it.

My issue is with people wanting to have gourmet feeding tables  at a funride/race. If you know you are going to ride 8 hrs prepare for it. 

So a buddy of mine that carries a racing license rode the K2C.  He is a strong cyclist, but not that serious a competitor to intimately know which races are sanctioned, or not.   

Het jus got a letter from CSA, slapping him with a R750 fine.

CSA really know how to make friends

Edited by Underachiever

So a buddy of mine that is carries a racing license rode the K2C. He is a strong cyclist, but not that serious a competitor to intimately know which races are sanctioned, or not.

I wonder if they went through their database or if he was reported by someone with CSA connections. And how many others...

I wonder if they went through their database or if he was reported by someone with CSA connections. And how many others...

Nah, I actually think they went through their database. I got an email too.

Logical I suppose. Still, meh. Expensive entry.

Logical I suppose. Still, meh. Expensive entry.

I don't mind the fine, knew it when I read it was an unsanctioned race. At that time I had already entered and made travelling arrangements.

Interestingly, last year there was a notification on one of the websites promoting the race, stating that the race was affiliated with PPA and because of an agreement between CSA and PPA, licensed riders would not be penalised. So I wonder if the guys from last year also got a fine?

Still wanted to do the race and I enjoyed it. 

So this is their new way to attract revenue.  The CSA equivalent of a "speeding fine"

Wonder if you get a "discount" if you pay your CSA tannie directly #CSAtanniebraaibe 

I don't mind the fine, knew it when I read it was an unsanctioned race. At that time I had already entered and made travelling arrangements.

Interestingly, last year there was a notification on one of the websites promoting the race, stating that the race was affiliated with PPA and because of an agreement between CSA and PPA, licensed riders would not be penalised. So I wonder if the guys from last year also got a fine?

Still wanted to do the race and I enjoyed it.

Love your outlook, but this is very upsetting! Woolworths can't fine me for shopping at Checkers. Things need to change.

Edited by thisismyotherbike

So a buddy of mine that is carries a racing license rode the K2C. He is a strong cyclist, but not that serious a competitor to intimately know which races are sanctioned, or not.

He can file that along with his TV license payment ????????????

I really enjoyed the race and the chat's with the fellow riders along the route. Ou Wa Pad was a breeze from B batch! Walkers, and there were not many, all kept left and everyone made it up carefully so there were no blockages. The water tables were all well stocked that I took a pit stop at. The cool breeze near the end was appreciated, played some tunes up Simola to keep the legs turning and crossed the line with a smile on my face. Honestly the only gripe I had was the beer line, it felt like I stood in the same spot forever only to realize I needed a tickets for the beer. Decided to rather go to the car for some ice cold Hansa tinnies! Will definitely be back next year with a bit more training done and aim for a 4:30.

They are WATER TABLES, in case you need water. Really on 95km gravel ride do you even need one or more?

The next day we did a significantly more challenging 90 ish ride to George for breakfast, there were no water tables and we were fine so I don't get the need for having all these lunch points with smorgasbords for you to feast on.

Get on your bike and ride from start to finish. If that is an issue train more. I am 20+kg overweight and I manage, so anyone should be able to.

Don't get me started on dumbing down the few challenges there used to be on this ride like the wapad up and down, they are highways now.

not everyone is a sub 4 rider or racers for that matter.

We stopped at most of the points enjoying the views and chatting to the people as we knew we were not going to win and couldn't really care because that's not why we ride.

Finished comfortably and still did a 20km hike the next day and even after that still felt fine.

But there where people who put their heart and soul into the ride to finish it and they would not have made it without the water/munchie points.

If you wanna race there was nobody forcing you to stop at the water points and if it was to easy for you there's always things like 361 or desert dash to try.

not everyone is a sub 4 rider or racers for that matter.

Good point, I'm no racer but on K2C I don't stop at the water tables. I have never done a K2C going over 5 hours, first time in 2011 was 5 minutes under 5 hours and best time was 2016 with 5 minutes over 4 hours. 

Yes, this is the one ride in the year where I seem to go as fast as I can and it is the one where I get my Argus seeding - but still - I love the fact that some people see this the same way as I saw Transkaroo (when it still was alive). This is one helluva ride and should be enjoyed to the fullest.

Make a day of it, enjoy it for as long as you can. The week before K2C I did the Fedhealth 55km MTB and that was one of the longest 4 hours I had on a bike. K2C was one of the fastest 4 hours for me. It is just over so quickly so I envy those you see this as the toughest ride on their calendar. 

Back to 2019, Dr Evil sent out their email with the dates. K2C will be on the 21st. Better get those accommodation bookings sorted soon.