Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

We're not ignoring the feedback and calls for the return of comments. We know that removing them risked the loss of an element of community and it's something we're still acutely aware of. 

Like most things there are many sides to the story and here we have to balance the needs of multiple parties, and as far as possible, offer for solutions to the challenges that each experience.

Comments undoubtedly helped in some instances, for example in identifying scammers or pointing out a specification issue. But with the good came some bad and what was helpful in some instances was damaging in others, either through outright abuse of the comment facility or, more commonly, through misuse and misunderstanding.

Here is some insight into the key factors behind removal of comments on ads. 

1. Too many communication channels
    We'd had feedback from many sellers that communication with interested parties on Bike Hub was cumbersome and created confusion.... too many channels between comments, PM, email, phone, etc.

2. Private conversations in public
    Upon reviewing the content of comments on ads we found that more than 50% of them would have been more appropriate via PM
    e.g. "Will you accept RX", "I'm interested, please contact me via...."

3. Problematic ads received comments, but weren't reported
    Often ads which should have been removed outright and the user banned (e.g. scammers, fake items) went unreported remaining online.

4. Damaging comments 
    Opinions on pricing, value and everything else can be subjective and in this way comments were open to abuse. There were cases were such comments or simply the risk of them occurring drove away legitimate sellers. 

This is not to say that the outright removal of comments is the only way forward. It was a decision taken by us having considered many factors. It was also one taken knowing that it wasn't the perfect solution, but was one we believed to be the better of the two options and by all objective measures (core metrics & analytics) it has been successful. But of course we can't only look at the data... the Bike Hub experience is key.

From the feedback here and elsewhere it seems comments on ads were deemed useful in these areas:

1. Advising sellers (and warning other buyers) of spec issues 
  2. Advising sellers (and warning other buyers) of over pricing
  3. Clarifying missing or incomplete specifications (Q&A)
  4. Identifying fake goods or scammers
  5. Wishing sellers well
  6. Entertaining banter

That isn't an exhaustive list so please add anything I've missed. 

• #1 and #3 are useful, we won't argue this. Both could be addressed via a PM or report to us, but there is merit in the immediacy of a comment.
  • #2 is subjective. Willing buyer, willing seller. Our feeling is that the market will decide on what's reasonable, overpriced items will sit for longer... and even without comments they do. 
  • #4 is important, but ultimately such ads should be removed altogether. Rather than comments we'd prefer to look at a Classifieds moderation layer which empowers appointed, trustworthy users to remove such items.
  • #5 is nice for community spirit but for a time pressed seller might be considered as "noise"
  • #6 - classifieds is not the place for this.

I welcome your thoughts, ideas and any further feedback around comments. 

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly a complex topic ....

As much I see the benefits of having the comments .... I lost weeks and good few thousand rand when we sold my Trek EX 5 ... because a Hubber had an issue with the esthetics of my 1x conversion .....  YES, two potential buyers used that comment to LOW ball me  :thumbdown:   :wacko:

but there are so many benefits to the comments section as well .....

Would hate to be in the developers shoes trying to balance these issues.  And NO, expecting Admin to police thousands of adds for "inappropriate comments" certainly is not an option.

Certainly a complex topic ....

As much I see the benefits of having the comments .... I lost weeks and good few thousand rand when we sold my Trek EX 5 ... because a Hubber had an issue with the esthetics of my 1x conversion .....  YES, two potential buyers used that comment to LOW ball me  :thumbdown:   :wacko:

but there are so many benefits to the comments section as well .....

Would hate to be in the developers shoes trying to balance these issues.  And NO, expecting Admin to police thousands of adds for "inappropriate comments" certainly is not an option.

Can one not then also report the person commenting on an ad if that person is being a chop!

Comments on ads have saved many from heartache on the forums I have been on. Some people are supreme chance takers and many buyers are absolutely clueless, it's not a healthy recipe. Gumtree or other commercial platforms probably don't need comment's on ads but on a forum I consider it vital and it's a healthy part of how the community looks out for each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Will items still be listed during the lockdown and "reserved" for a potential buyer till after lockdown? 

We're not closing the Classifieds. It will operate as is during the lockdown. We are expecting it to slow down though.

Will items still be listed during the lockdown and "reserved" for a potential buyer till after lockdown? 

We're not closing the Classifieds. It will operate as is during the lockdown. We are expecting it to slow down though.

post-5403-0-40440600-1585128279_thumb.jpg

local sales you can meet up at your supermarket. Can just as well trade bike parts while waiting in the line for your chance to maybe get some tp or milk   :D 

It will be a hell of a lot more difficult now seeing as people cannot actually buy and collect.

See ads going up, not sure what the sellers are expecting will happen with those ads.......

Same, like seriously

Same, like seriously

I would be open to buying stuff now. 

I have time to browse the classifieds properly, spend time over builds etc.... 

The money thing is a different issue, but those earning a salary still have disposable income and time.

Getting it after lock down is part of the fun!

Unfortunately I think there are going to be a lot of people shifting a lot of items here and in the wider world post lock down. Pretty sure people will be selling a lot of non necessities (and necessities) to make ends meet when this ends and impact to businesses is known. 

The car reclamation auctions will be buzzing like it's the GFC again!