Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

Ya, I remember when I entered it basically added the race chip to the fee. But there was a option to exclude it if I remember correctly. Just not sure how it would affect him if he were to enter without purchasing a chip with the entry.

Read the website and FAQ.....helps

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO "forcing" riders to get timing chips is BS. Some riders including those doing it for charity and riding their first 947 are not interested in result or time, merely participating. Another way Racetec have forced their way into been a monopoly.

IMO "forcing" riders to get timing chips is BS. Some riders including those doing it for charity and riding their first 947 are not interested in result or time, merely participating. Another way Racetec have forced their way into been a monopoly.

How do you propose the events organisers monitor participation,record accurate adherance to the route and register accurate time keeping?There can only be one system for all participants.

I bought my chip in 2004 and it still works.

There are other timing companies and devices.I am sure if they are competively priced and perform they would be considered as was done not too long ago in Botswana for instance.I still have my Champion Chip.At one stage they were the preferred service provided in Gauteng.

Edited by Kranswurm

Why though? If participation requires a chip, surely that means they need one? Not really a monopoly if their are other service providers around either. They are just good at what they do, so they get used a lot. My father-in-law has a yellow chip that looks like it came from about 15 years ago, still uses it, still works fine. 

As long as you don't lose it, I struggle to see why it is a problem to make this once off purchase in the grand scheme of what cycling costs us in general. Even for the charity and first-timers, the capital outlay on the chip is a mere drop in the ocean

The timing chips are used for far more than just your time. It gives flow information, when cyclists are injured and collected by support teams etc.

Why though? If participation requires a chip, surely that means they need one? Not really a monopoly if their are other service providers around either. They are just good at what they do, so they get used a lot. My father-in-law has a yellow chip that looks like it came from about 15 years ago, still uses it, still works fine. 

As long as you don't lose it, I struggle to see why it is a problem to make this once off purchase in the grand scheme of what cycling costs us in general. Even for the charity and first-timers, the capital outlay on the chip is a mere drop in the ocean

I got my first yellow chip (I think its winning time) about 19/20 years ago. Still works with racetec 

Just a heads-up: my Charity Group leader contacted me to say that my entry is showing as not paid on the system.

Apparently allot of people are showing as "not-paid" while in fact their payments went through.

Maybe take a couple of minutes and phone the race office to confirm that your entry is locked in and paid.

It is easier to resolve these issues now instead of registration day. Mine is sorted now.

Very simple, he cannot ride without a chip, they won't allow him through the entry chutes on race day. So the people at registration will sell him one when he picks up his registration packet.

Starting in everything from the last batch (2nd lap), to YY, to Z, to A/B/C, to VD I've never had had a chip check at the start.

I agree with not being able to register/enter for the race without a chip, or a compulsory chip purchase as your chip id is linked to your identity on their system

My first 94.7 has much more significance than my last one... My next one has so little significance that there won't even be a next one

My first 94.7 has much more significance than my last one... My next one has so little significance that there won't even be a next one

So true! Sadly for my first one, in 1998, the results no longer show on the racetec site. :thumbdown:

So true! Sadly for my first one, in 1998, the results no longer show on the racetec site. :thumbdown:

I am doing my 9th in a row this year.............my aim is to do 10 then call it quits

Edited by coppi

We're still about 5k entries less than last year with only 3 days to go. So much for the grand reversed route marketing scheme. Still should be an awesome ride and the downwards m1 is going to be great.

I'm bored with this race...............sitting this one out and going for a lekker MTB ride instead (been roadie for last 18 years....)

The reverse route is to save money on staff manning road closures at all the intersections in the suburbs or reduce the motoristsmoaning about road closures and has NOTHING to do with where the hills are in the race.....