Wahoo / Strava to earn Vitality points

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m trying to work this one out.

What I think is being said here is I need to get heart rate recorded in my activity.

So when I’ve sync strava to HealthKit it hasn’t added heart rate.

It also seems if strava is writing data to apple then my workouts and steps will be ignored for that day?

I have two missing days for both and strava wrote workout data on both days.

So answer is to stop strava writing data (does wahoo work?) and also record workout on Apple Watch.

I’m trying to work this one out.

What I think is being said here is I need to get heart rate recorded in my activity.

So when I’ve sync strava to HealthKit it hasn’t added heart rate.

It also seems if strava is writing data to apple then my workouts and steps will be ig for that day?

I have two missing days for both and strava wrote workout data on both days.

So answer is to stop strava writing data (does wahoo work?) and also record workout on Apple Watch.[/quote........

Edited by Twaatie

• 6 months later...

apologies for reviving this thread but quick question (next step will be to contact discovery vitality).

sometime ago -probably about 2 months ago- i noticed that i received points for a zwift workout. i was surprised as i didnt even think that this would, but then i figured its because my zwift account is connected to Garmin connect and Garmin to discovery app.

this week i didn't turn on my garmin device for the past 2 zwift workouts (didnt have device with me) but thought nothing of it as i thought it will be uploaded from zwift to garmin connect to discovery app as it did before.

unfortunately it didnt work this time though. a quick google search back to 2018 seems to suggest that your activity must be recorded on a garmin device and then uploaded to garmin connect  :eek:  (which seems like BS to me as i'm still going through garmin connect just not through my device but through zwift). 

Was my previous experience a glitch? Or do others use the zwift to garmin connect route for points?  

There are work around's to get the data to Discovery but it means converting your workout files to supported formats over a few apps and then it will work.

Easiest is most likely trying to get your Zwift workout into a Fit/Tcx format and then manually upload into Garmin connect. I'm not sure what the standard file format for a Zwift workout is?

There is also a setting on garmin connect to select your primary device, only this device will be recognized by Discovery.

when I changed from edge 25 to a new device, even though my device was added to connect, discovery did not recognize the points, as it was not my primary device.

thanks - so there seems to be some workaround options i could try for the 2 workouts not recorded on the device.

going forward probably easier to continue recording on both the device and zwift which is a duplication but it is what it is i suppose.......the things we do for vitality points!

There is also a setting on garmin connect to select your primary device, only this device will be recognized by Discovery.

when I changed from edge 25 to a new device, even though my device was added to connect, discovery did not recognize the points, as it was not my primary device.

apologies for reviving this thread but quick question (next step will be to contact discovery vitality).

sometime ago -probably about 2 months ago- i noticed that i received points for a zwift workout. i was surprised as i didnt even think that this would, but then i figured its because my zwift account is connected to Garmin connect and Garmin to discovery app.

this week i didn't turn on my garmin device for the past 2 zwift workouts (didnt have device with me) but thought nothing of it as i thought it will be uploaded from zwift to garmin connect to discovery app as it did before.

unfortunately it didnt work this time though. a quick google search back to 2018 seems to suggest that your activity must be recorded on a garmin device and then uploaded to garmin connect  :eek:  (which seems like BS to me as i'm still going through garmin connect just not through my device but through zwift). 

Was my previous experience a glitch? Or do others use the zwift to garmin connect route for points?  

I have an edge820 and a fenix5 - both are recognized by Discovery. Your device writes into the file the device name. Discovery only recognizes certain devices. 

Zwift is not a recognized device (it's not a device, just software). So regardless of whether a Zwift activity hits Garmin Connect, it's not recognized. You can manipulate the file to include a recognized device, but then I'd start weighing up whether the points are worth it.

As to why an edge25 is not recognized, that seems unusual. Maybe your particular activity did not load properly - this happens on occasions. All I do is export to tcx, delete the activity an upload again. 

Edge 25 always uploaded without glitch and received points

got new 520+ and it did not receive points till I select it as primary device.

Maybe it's ID10T error?

I use Zwift and my Fenix to record. Irritating but it works.

Also it allows you to "optimise" your discovery points. Eg the other day I did a workout 7 x 3min pieces with 3 mins rest, 8m warmup and 5 min cooldown for the 60 min:

1:00:15 (just over an hour)

Average HR for the 60 min: 125 (128 is my 70% number for the 1h 300 points)

Points awarded: 100 (HR 60-69% for 60mins)

BUT

If I record only the 42 mins of "work" on my Garmin my average HR is 132 for 42 mins (according to TrainingPeaks). This puts me in the 70-79% for 30mins category and I get 200 points.

Of course, I didn't do this, and I got 800/900 points that week!

Edge 25 always uploaded without glitch and received points

got new 520+ and it did not receive points till I select it as primary device.

Maybe it's ID10T error?

I don't think I've ever selected a primary device, and I get points for my Edge520 and Fenix3. (running one on autopause also helps with the average HR)

I don't think I've ever selected a primary device, and I get points for my Edge520 and Fenix3. (running one on autopause also helps with the average HR)

I've heard that if you use both Garmin devices at the same time for an activity and you upload within a few minutes, that it merges the activity as one?

You are correct. Will go through ZWIFT to Discovery if you are using the Garmin device at the same time, but if you are not, then will upload only your data to Garmin connect but then not on from there.

Strava and Discovery apps both integrate with Health app in iOS.

Link Wahoo Elemnt app to Strava > Strava workouts sync with Health app > Sync Discovery app with Health app on iPhone to get your points  :clap:

I will test this tonight, however the last time i tried it did not work this simply due to Discovery reading a file that strava (and all devices and platforms) writes to the health app and the whole reason Discovery got rid of Strava was due to dodgy uploads/fake rides being made on Strava.

The beautiful thing is that we are the kind pressurising guys that ask daily for the integration progress. When we hear, you will all hear, as I am sure they will be happy to tell you too! :D 

Will test tonight and revert tomorrow for you all though.