Wild Boar Trails, Wellington

Did the Gravel Travel use some of these trails in this year's event know it was different to last year.

Yes, some of these were used in Gravel Travel. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't make the opening. How does permit system work? Can i pitch up on a friday morning, get a permit and ride?

Yes, you can ride any day of the week. The trail centre will be open on Saturdays, and Public Holidays (from 8h00).

On the other days, you can buy a permit using the Snapscan code on the door of the centre. 

Annual permit holders and Tygerberg MTB members may use the trails without buying a day permit. 

Fantastic. Another network that the magic little tygerberg board opens up and thursday is a public holiday.

Yes, you can ride any day of the week. The trail centre will be open on Saturdays, and Public Holidays (from 8h00).

On the other days, you can buy a permit using the Snapscan code on the door of the centre.

Annual permit holders and Tygerberg MTB members may use the trails without buying a day permit.

Mate and I set out yesterday to do the 42k loop while our partners and daughters were treated to spa sessions at val du charron. New trails are lekker, big climbs up to happy hog which once bedded in will be an epic descent. We cut it a bit short cos my mate was struggling a bit after a front wheel washout on rollercoaster. He said it was because he was behind me and so didn't have enough speed to get the grip he needed. I told him riding slowly takes more skill and he should shut up and limp.

In the end our ride was less asterix and obelix on a wild boar hunt and more pooh and piglet find a heffalump. We'll be back though.

We had lunch at the pizza restaurant there afterwards. Food is delicious but the service was shambolic. Missing parts of the orders, wrong food when it eventually arrived ... chaos. Left frustrated and unhappy having resorted to liasing directly with bar and kitchen staff ourselves. Get this right and it will be a 5 star venue.

Will definitely be back to the trails though. Realised on the long drive home that i will be in wellington next week for the trailseeker too. Oh well it wont be too much of a good thing.

Mate and I set out yesterday to do the 42k loop while our partners and daughters were treated to spa sessions at val du charron. New trails are lekker, big climbs up to happy hog which once bedded in will be an epic descent. We cut it a bit short cos my mate was struggling a bit after a front wheel washout on rollercoaster. He said it was because he was behind me and so didn't have enough speed to get the grip he needed. I told him riding slowly takes more skill and he should shut up and limp.

In the end our ride was less asterix and obelix on a wild boar hunt and more pooh and piglet find a heffalump. We'll be back though.

We had lunch at the pizza restaurant there afterwards. Food is delicious but the service was shambolic. Missing parts of the orders, wrong food when it eventually arrived ... chaos. Left frustrated and unhappy having resorted to liasing directly with bar and kitchen staff ourselves. Get this right and it will be a 5 star venue.

Will definitely be back to the trails though. Realised on the long drive home that i will be in wellington next week for the trailseeker too. Oh well it wont be too much of a good thing.

I'm sure that was an isolated incident, as on the opening day there were close to 60 riders that all got our correct orders.

Worst excuse for a fall ever, tell him until he learns to weigh down his front wheel the only difference speed will make, is to the size of his roasties.

We had some hit and miss results with that pizza chain's branch in stellies as well.

Booking a spa day for the ladies was genius. I'm going to do that as well. Thanks.

Pieter jou legend!!!!! 

Hier in ons agterplaas is ons bederf met wereldklas single track.

Baie braaf gaan ons die Wild Boar roete breek, maar toe breek hy ons. Ons is met die Warthog huis toe. Daai klim van Welvanpas tot by Golden Mile is rof, maar so rewarding!

Edited by mtbrider

Hi guys & gals!

The Wild Boar Trails will unfortunately be closed over the weekend of 18 & 19 August 2018 - the Nissan Trailseeker MTB & Trail Run is taking place in Wellington. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like perfect riding weather this coming weekend. The Wild Boar Trail centre will be open from 8h00. Come check out the top merchandise in stock!

Looks like perfect riding weather this coming weekend. The Wild Boar Trail centre will be open from 8h00. Come check out the top merchandise in stock!

Do you have a website / FB page or info? Thanks. 

Had no idea these trails exist.  Will go this weekend.  Which trail do you guys recommend for some nice technical stuff?  

Had no idea these trails exist.  Will go this weekend.  Which trail do you guys recommend for some nice technical stuff?  

Not sure about the names, we did some of them as part of the Nissan and really have to give a shout-out on how amazing the trails were.  Was tough at some points, but very rewarding

Details are below, and maps will be made available in the 2nd week of July:

Wild Boar Loop

Distance: 45km

Ascent: 1495m

Approximate riding time: 3 hours – 5.5 hours

Intermediate – advanced, fit riders

Mostly single track

Warthog Loop

Distance: 38km

Ascent: 1229m

Approximate riding time: 2.5 hours – 5 hours

Mostly single track

Porcupine Loop

Distance: 26km

Ascent: 936m

Approximate riding time: 1.5 hours – 3.5 hours

Intermediate, relatively fit riders

Mostly single track

Hedgehog Loop

Distance: 17km

Ascent: 679m

Approximate riding time: 1 hour – 2 hours

Intermediate riders

Mostly single track

Flat Hog Loop

Distance: 42km

Ascent: 612m

Approximate riding time: 1.5 hours – 3 hours

Beginner to intermediate, unfit to relatively fit riders

Open gravel roads and small sections of jeep track

Potbelly Loop

Distance: 3.3km

Ascent: 90m

Kids and beginners, unfit riders

Flat, vineyard roads

Cross Country Course (Doolhof Wine Estate)

Distance: 4.3km

Ascent:  168m

Intermediate – advanced, and terchnically sound fit riders

Mostly single track and a number of technical sections                                         

Hawekwas Scout Adventure Centre Loop

Distance: 20.5km

Ascent: 928m

Approximate riding time: 1 hour – 3 hours

Mostly single track and some very technical sections

Do all these trails start at Val Du Charron wine estate?

Minus the ones that say Doolhof wine estate and adventure centre.

This looks so amazing though.

Must go maak 'n draai there soon!!

Yes you do man... I think. some of them are the old Welvenpas Trails, White & Blue routes. If you do the "Wild Boar Trail" it should cover most of the "technical" stuff but that term is relative.

The single track is fast & flowing & if dry can feel like skating on marbles. The XCO loop in my opinion is the most technical bit, fast steep single track descents coupled with tight switch backs at speed & a few small rocky gardens. The Scout loop too, narrow single track off the side of a "cliff" can make it technical for some & for others it can be normal\easy.

Edited by milky4130