Wild Boar Trails, Wellington

Just received news that our Paarl Adventure Trails (Hero) Permit holders are also allowed to ride Wild Boar Trails now? Pretty keen to try it out next weekend.. All I remember from last years Gravel Travel is that I had more fun on that trails than any other race before

Hi there!

Yes, you are accurate in all respects! Paarl Adventure Trails (Hero) permit holders may use the Wild Boar Trails using their Hero permits, AND we do have the most fun trails around!

Enjoy the ride!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. Heard a rumour at the race yesterday that black route is open for riding again. Is this true?

it was only open for the race as far I know, there were talks to reopen it at a later stage.

Hi. Heard a rumour at the race yesterday that black route is open for riding again. Is this true?

The black route is not officially open and does not form part of the Wild Boar Trails trail system at the moment. It was cleared for the event only.

If you know your way around the area, you can ride it, but keep in mind that it is not maintained on a regular basis and not fully marked. 

The black route is not officially open and does not form part of the Wild Boar Trails trail system at the moment. It was cleared for the event only.

If you know your way around the area, you can ride it, but keep in mind that it is not maintained on a regular basis and not fully marked. 

Are you saying we won't get shot if we go ride the black route?

• 1 month later...

Had my first ride on the Wild Boar trails Saturday. Already love it! Now I can't wait for my new house to get built just outside Wellington..these trails will basically become my backyard playground!

Just a quick question.. i got there at around 08:00, there was no one at the trail centre, so I signed in on the register kept in the container with my Hero Membership. Is this the correct procedure? From what time are we allowed to ride? I'd like to hit the trails around 06:00 if possible.42e6ab7e98fc007775ac487174c6de43.jpg

Had my first ride on the Wild Boar trails Saturday. Already love it! Now I can't wait for my new house to get built just outside Wellington..these trails will basically become my backyard playground!

Just a quick question.. i got there at around 08:00, there was no one at the trail centre, so I signed in on the register kept in the container with my Hero Membership. Is this the correct procedure? From what time are we allowed to ride? I'd like to hit the trails around 06:00 if possible.42e6ab7e98fc007775ac487174c6de43.jpg

Hi there!

Thanks for the feedback on the trails - we are always happy to make people happy :clap: . You followed the correct procedure with signing in. You are most welcome to ride earlier, but certain landowners don't want people riding over their land (on the trails) in the dark (safety & security reasons), so it is too early if you need a bike light - wait until it gets light enough not to have to use a bike light.

:thumbup:

Hi. How did you find your way around the trail? Is it marked? Easy to find? I've ridden black twice but a while ago, so scared I might remember.

Hi. How did you find your way around the trail? Is it marked? Easy to find? I've ridden black twice but a while ago, so scared I might remember.

I started at Val du Charron and just followed the white boards with the red arrows. Easy to find, yes. All the split points are also clearly marked.

• 4 weeks later...

Rode the Porcupine route last Saturday ~27km and 900m of climbing. Really enjoyed it! Will definitely be back - such a bonus that it is open to Tygerberg MTB club members :D Stunning scenery and the pizzas and beers were great!

We rode at 10 am - the trail centre was closed. Tried to sign in, but the book was too wet (due to rain).

Did the warthog loop last friday.  About 39km and 1100mm climbing.  Great ride, but im sure most of it was Welvenpas white route?  Either way a brilliant day out, trails where lovely and the beer and pasta afterwards was superb.

Did the warthog loop last friday.  About 39km and 1100mm climbing.  Great ride, but im sure most of it was Welvenpas white route?  Either way a brilliant day out, trails where lovely and the beer and pasta afterwards was superb.

So is Welvanpas no more and has been integrated into Wild Boar?

• 3 months later...

Rode the Porcupine route last Saturday ~27km and 900m of climbing. Really enjoyed it! Will definitely be back - such a bonus that it is open to Tygerberg MTB club members :D Stunning scenery and the pizzas and beers were great!

We rode at 10 am - the trail centre was closed. Tried to sign in, but the book was too wet (due to rain).

I have to go see a client out at 2pm in Wellington today and if I'm done early I have the option of checking out these trails for the first time, or doing a couple of runs at Paarl's Taal monument DH track. 

Can anyone tell me, which of the trails is the best bang for time (I will probably only have 1hour30 or so. I like technical..

How long does the Porcupine loop take the average person?

Thanks!

I have to go see a client out at 2pm in Wellington today and if I'm done early I have the option of checking out these trails for the first time, or doing a couple of runs at Paarl's Taal monument DH track. 

Can anyone tell me, which of the trails is the best bang for time (I will probably only have 1hour30 or so. I like technical..

How long does the Porcupine loop take the average person?

Thanks!

Sorry, a bit late. We were riding Porcupine slowly (with friends of various fitness levels). Our moving time was 2h30.

Porcupine is just an extension of Hedgehog. So you can turn off at the end of the Hedgehog (after a leisurely 1h30), or continue for the reset of Porcupine.

Edited by greg_sa

Sorry, a bit late. We were riding Porcupine slowly (with friends of various fitness levels). Our moving time was 2h30.

Porcupine is just an extension of Hedgehog. So you can turn off at the end of the Hedgehog (after a leisurely 1h30), or continue for the reset of Porcupine.

Thank you for the reply. I opted out though as the trails were apparently very wet and quite soft from all the rain. Next time though!