Shocking Checkers SA

stringbean

I was going to bring up the Laduma one with Zara.   He's a good friend of mine, has show-cased the collections on a fashion week platform we own, and HAS actually registered the IP of a lot of his designs.   Zara is built on re-packaging designs, and has made the owner one of the world's top wealthiest people.   That said, argyles in this case are argyles.

Versus needed to differentiate themselves and position themselves as a local brand, manufacturing locally (do they? no idea) and showing quality and function over price.  That's how you sell a premium product.

I would rather shiiiit in my lycra than wear socks with jellybeans or bright colours when out riding.  I truly just do not get it.   But that said, for years I've always worn "interesting socks" with similar under my jeans or suit pants.   I had jellybeans easily 10 years ago+ from Topshop, and where I still get many socks with cool and interesting patterns when I travel.   

I dont think these cheapy Checkers ones can compete with a proper fitting Versus sock for cycling, but the jellybeans have been around longer than one would think and more likely than not, were simply on display at a trade show and the buyers said "send up 5000 pairs"

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to bring up the Laduma one with Zara.   He's a good friend of mine, has show-cased the collections on a fashion week platform we own, and HAS actually registered the IP of a lot of his designs.   Zara is built on re-packaging designs, and has made the owner one of the world's top wealthiest people.   That said, argyles in this case are argyles.

Versus needed to differentiate themselves and position themselves as a local brand, manufacturing locally (do they? no idea) and showing quality and function over price.  That's how you sell a premium product.

I would rather shiiiit in my lycra than wear socks with jellybeans or bright colours when out riding.  I truly just do not get it.   But that said, for years I've always worn "interesting socks" with similar under my jeans or suit pants.   I had jellybeans easily 10 years ago+ from Topshop, and where I still get many socks with cool and interesting patterns when I travel.   

I dont think these cheapy Checkers ones can compete with a proper fitting Versus sock for cycling, but the jellybeans have been around longer than one would think and more likely than not, were simply on display at a trade show and the buyers said "send up 5000 pairs"

Maybe Dumoulin  thought the same about his pink jersey.

Di you all miss the post of Checkers saying they will discuss with Verses now that the matter had been pointed out to them??

Seems to be easier to keep brandishing the pitchforks for no reason..... would be better to wait to see what the outcome if Checkers discussion!

Nope, this has great Friday potential. 

Plus, if one goes out guns blazing on twitter, a great measure of public discussion/pitchforking is allowed, even expected.

Big business copying from small businesses stinks. It seems to happen with unfortunate regularity in South Africa. But I struggle to see this as checkers copying versus though. A quick Google search shows many many similar jelly bean socks!post-23715-0-54435000-1531314749_thumb.pngpost-23715-0-46736300-1531314784_thumb.pngpost-23715-0-99568300-1531314818_thumb.pngpost-23715-0-27541300-1531314882_thumb.png

Edited by Trance Dance

I was going to bring up the Laduma one with Zara. He's a good friend of mine, has show-cased the collections on a fashion week platform we own, and HAS actually registered the IP of a lot of his designs. Zara is built on re-packaging designs, and has made the owner one of the world's top wealthiest people. That said, argyles in this case are argyles.

Versus needed to differentiate themselves and position themselves as a local brand, manufacturing locally (do they? no idea) and showing quality and function over price. That's how you sell a premium product.

I would rather shiiiit in my lycra than wear socks with jellybeans or bright colours when out riding. I truly just do not get it. But that said, for years I've always worn "interesting socks" with similar under my jeans or suit pants. I had jellybeans easily 10 years ago+ from Topshop, and where I still get many socks with cool and interesting patterns when I travel.

I'm with you, life is too short for boring socks, but I prefer patterns and stripes etc, not looking like I was dressed by a pre-school kid. So the sweets and fruit salad socks deserve a skip pass IMO.

I'm pretty sure the versus socks are manufactured locally.

I'm with you, life is too short for boring socks, but I prefer patterns and stripes etc, not looking like I was dressed by a pre-school kid. So the sweets and fruit salad socks deserve a skip pass IMO.

I'm pretty sure the versus socks are manufactured locally.

Life is too boring if you have time to worry about the colour of your socks? 

What was that about?

The finalists (I was one of them) had to go on a social media whoring spree to get likes, only for it to become apparent that people were buying likes, then one of the versus WAGS openly campaigned for likes so that one of her friends could win, only for it all to fall apart and the ended up choosing the winner based on some criteria by someone.

They are running another competition, this time for a Garmin GPS device. Hopefully they have their ducks in a row this time.

The finalists (I was one of them) had to go on a social media whoring spree to get likes, only for it to become apparent that people were buying likes, then one of the versus WAGS openly campaigned for likes so that one of her friends could win, only for it all to fall apart and the ended up choosing the winner based on some criteria by someone.

They are running another competition, this time for a Garmin GPS device. Hopefully they have their ducks in a row this time.

KPMG as auditors on that competition?

Thats what I would have done.

This is now the second time that this lady is causing brand damage for Versus.

They should leave the Social Media up to Hanno and Jurgens....

Nelson Mandela once told me that one shouldn't name-drop.

Looks like Versus is guilty of copying "Foozies bean socks" in picks above.

Sies Versus !

I had planned on buying jelly bean socks today.... Well just because...

And now I am going to boycott Versus for pinching designs and being nasty to checkers who sell the best chicken nuggets by the way.

In fact am going to buy real jelly beans from checkers right now in protest.

This thread is too long to read from the beginning.... Simply put. Jelly bean socks. Why would you??

pretty much my take away.

(wearing grey shimano socks as I type this)

This thread is too long to read from the beginning.... Simply put. Jelly bean socks. Why would you??

Well.... they are better than loooong white socks

Edited by SwissVan