Bad bike services

Zein

On the Bad Bike Service thread I just want to say thanks to Just Cycles for the Great Service!!

Dropped my bike off  at 9h30 in the morning and got a call at 15h00 to collect my bike.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s all about arse covering exercises:

Bike shop should cover their arse and do a receiving inspection and notify the owner ASAP before proceeding with further work.

Owner in turn does the same when he picks up bike after the work has been done and before he drives off into the distance.

Bikes are relatively simple and the majority of complaints can be seen quickly.

The above is especially true if you don’t have a time developed relationship with the bike shop or customer.

It’s all about arse covering exercises:

Bike shop should cover their arse and do a receiving inspection and notify the owner ASAP before proceeding with further work.

Owner in turn does the same when he picks up bike after the work has been done and before he drives off into the distance.

Bikes are relatively simple and the majority of complaints can be seen quickly.

The above is especially true if you don’t have a time developed relationship with the bike shop or customer.

Yup, very true unfortunately. 

The LBS I use from time to time when I'm too busy to do it myself or when it comes to wheel repairs will bend over backwards, yet the shop where I spend literally 100 times more money just see me as another sale with zero effort involved. 

Yup, very true unfortunately. 

The LBS I use from time to time when I'm too busy to do it myself or when it comes to wheel repairs will bend over backwards, yet the shop where I spend literally 100 times more money just see me as another sale with zero effort involved. 

It should work both ways though - surely rewarding the shop that gives you the great service is the right way to go? 

The shop getting all the cash will feel no need to change if the dollars keep rolling in.....

It should work both ways though - surely rewarding the shop that gives you the great service is the right way to go? 

The shop getting all the cash will feel no need to change if the dollars keep rolling in.....

Yes, and no to an extend. My lbs is more of a service/repair shop, so not a retailer. 

But ja, I've decided I will let the money do the talking from now on.

On the Bad Bike Service thread I just want to say thanks to Just Cycles for the Great Service!!

Dropped my bike off at 9h30 in the morning and got a call at 15h00 to collect my bike.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll pass on the message, thanks!

Conversely could do a series of documentaries on bikes that come into workshops after the owner watched a 'how to do it' video online. 

ppfffftttt .... "what can go wrong" if you have a "big enough hammer and chisel" ? ? ?

ppfffftttt .... "what can go wrong" if you have a "big enough hammer and chisel" ? ? ?

One of my favourite tools is my shot filled rubber mallet. I can hit things and it doesn't leave a mark. That and a long metal pipe for added leverage on tight bolts. 

For working on cars that is. 

Conversely could do a series of documentaries on bikes that come into workshops after the owner watched a 'how to do it' video online. 

Well, a mystery noise was tracked down by the LBS to be some Shimano SPD pedals - which are apparently non-serviceable, so new ones would be quoted for...  :cursing: . Took me about 10 keystrokes and a mouse-click to find a gazillion videos on how to service them

You've clearly spent more than a few weeks in a workshop...

How I wish some workshops would watch some 'how to' videos...  :whistling: (present company excepted)

One of my favourite tools is my shot filled rubber mallet. I can hit things and it doesn't leave a mark. That and a long metal pipe for added leverage on tight bolts. 

For working on cars that is. 

you own a Landy then?

Well, a mystery noise was tracked down by the LBS to be some Shimano SPD pedals - which are apparently non-serviceable, so new ones would be quoted for...  :cursing: . Took me about 10 keystrokes and a mouse-click to find a gazillion videos on how to service them

How I wish some workshops would watch some 'how to' videos...  :whistling: (present company excepted)

Jeezzzz..... all they have to do is read Pinkbike!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/park-tool-pedal-service-tech-talks-video.html

:ph34r:

post-5403-0-48312000-1534856412_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-74354600-1534856439_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I had some bad service from a bike shop in Paarl today. Sent my alu Anthem in for pivot service which was long due. The mechanic scratched the pivot and it looks like he cracked the pivot bolt head in the process as well. The owner fist told me that the scratches were ther beforehand but later on advised that it can be coverd up with nail polish. How does one go about it?82056a1a5155b24f35dc2fd08809f3fc.jpg