[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

Quick question as it is my first and my first with the chip.

I have an alu mtb. They say not to put the chip on the fork. Is it ok to put it on the velcro of my shoe though? That ankle strap seems like it will irritate me

Metal/carbon/etc. reflects the RFiD signal, thats why they indicate not putting it on the fork. But a lot of riders do, with no ill effect. They have multiple scanners with multiple mats, so you’ll get signal bounce from multiple points, and should not have any issues.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That decision seems to be out of the hands of the organisers though - if there is even a wiff of risk on public safety people from the municipality are compelled to take a decision.

Also, most of the field that seem to be talking here will be done by 09-10am, the majority of those that are likely to face the grunt of the windy conditions as they "mature" are probably far less equiped to handle being blown from pillar to post - if this leads to falls the risk and potential strain on emergency services is a lot bigger than all the ego in this thread.

I really don't care who makes the decision and why. In the end they impact my back pocket with their nanny state decisions.

I have been in CT now for 23 years. When the HH mountains looks like they are today, we are in for a few days of strong SE. You can take that to the bank.

As long as these snowflakes don't cancel the race, I will ride it. Come hell or high water. If they cancel it, it will be the last they see me.

yep with you on this...

ill accept a blackhill shortened route if there is a hurricane in cape point on Sunday morning but complete cancellation because of wind and that's that for cycle tour getting my buck. If you live in the cape and ride all year this is normal. 

tested the deep sections this morning, all seems fine  :devil:

I really don't care who makes the decision and why. In the end they impact my back pocket with their nanny state decisions.

You might find that being blown off a mountain pass or being part of a massive group crash caused by the wind can put even a bigger dent in your back pocket (and only that if your lucky)

Then many of those who are the first to scream "snowflakes!" to organisers will quickly turn around and say "sue the organisers!" for neglecting their responsibility for the safety of participants.

I would pick a dent of my pocket over dangerous & unsafe racing conditions every time.

anyone got a link to the 'split time calculator'?

Edit - found it on their website. 

Edited by dannygirl

anyone got a link to the 'split time calculator'?

Edit - found it on their website. 

don't bother with it as it is massively inaccurate. May work for rider racing at constant intensity i.e. a time trialist or triathlete

thanks for the timing chip comments. I won't take a chance on the alu fork but the shoe seems like a good idea. It get closer to the ground too so the signal should be plenty strong

don't bother with it as it is massively inaccurate. May work for rider racing at constant intensity i.e. a time trialist or triathlete

I found it quite useful in the past, as they seem to account for variances in speed over different sectors - but then again, I'm in the cruising end of the field, so maybe that makes a difference!

Quick question as it is my first and my first with the chip.

I have an alu mtb. They say not to put the chip on the fork. Is it ok to put it on the velcro of my shoe though? That ankle strap seems like it will irritate me

Enjoy the first race

And happy to hear a comment OTHER than about the wind

Don’t get, the fast light riders have he skill to ride in the wind, the larger and heavier riders have the weight to stay put on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be towing my wife along from around 07h23. Hoping to be able to hop from group to group to help with the wind a bit. Not ehjoying the weather forecast much. Our training rides have mostly been in perfect conditions. 

Don’t get, the fast light riders have he skill to ride in the wind, the larger and heavier riders have the weight to stay put on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's only really the crosswind gusts that get the lighter guys, into a headwind a light guy can help out as well.