[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And both of them finished second overall on normal bikes when they weren't aero-is-everything-ing. 

Wimpie puts in insane distances per week and I think he holds the record for Everesting in SA

How often are the seedings updated?  Would just like to see how well (or badly) my CTCT went relative to my other efforts this year from a seedings point of view.

How often are the seedings updated?  Would just like to see how well (or badly) my CTCT went relative to my other efforts this year from a seedings point of view.

typically recalculated and posted by the Thursday after the event

Another graph:

attachicon.gifCTCT.png

That little blue vertical line to the left is just ridiculous. How the pros managed to ride the same times as last year is just amazing. Clearly they are far more skilled in handy windy conditions than the rest of us wannabes

That little blue vertical line to the left is just ridiculous. How the pros managed to ride the same times as last year is just amazing. Clearly they are far more skilled in handy windy conditions than the rest of us wannabes

I was checking vids and wondering how much wind brake the got from all the motor bikes at the front?  (not taking anything away, just wondering)

Funnily enough I have no issue with e-bikes being in the rubbish groups (anything after 2k).

Realistically they aren't going to win anything, they aren't going pro and what harm is there in letting people cheat themselves or ride with mates on closed roads in a fun ride? 

You aren't 'racing' back there and it's a personal struggle/achievement, not a push to the finish line.

As long as they stay out of the actual riders, it's more about getting people out there and having a jol, embracing and adding to the gees however you can.

But then that's just me. I'm sure there are thousands who disagree and I respect that. 

Wow, you actually typed and posted this without realising what an absolute twat you sound like? That's impressive.

Realistically only the pro's win anything, so with your flawed logic, ebikes are fine in anything after that batch.

Edited by Jase619

That, AND, I think it's also a case of them not being afraid to take their turn at the front.

It's ridiculous the amount breaking 3rd 4th and 5th wheelers do because they are afraid to do a turn in the wind. This slows down the general pace of the bunch dramatically and also causes the braking and surging further back in the bunch.

Even when you try and encourage the bunch to get a system going, they refuse to even do 10 seconds in front but persist on sitting in front 10 while feathering their brakes out of fear of rolling to the front. It boggles my mind...

I'm sure that if at least a third of the bunch is willing to work, the outcome would be different.

That, AND, I think it's also a case of them not being afraid to take their turn at the front.

It's ridiculous the amount breaking 3rd 4th and 5th wheelers do because they are afraid to do a turn in the wind. This slows down the general pace of the bunch dramatically and also causes the braking and surging further back in the bunch.

Even when you try and encourage the bunch to get a system going, they refuse to even do 10 seconds in front but persist on sitting in front 10 while feathering their brakes out of fear of rolling to the front. It boggles my mind...

I'm sure that if at least a third of the bunch is willing to work, the outcome would be different.

I think the way you describe it is the reality for almost all big amateur bunches in every big event I've done.

I find when in smaller bunches (sat up to 50 riders) many riders are willing to share the work but once the bunch get big you have 3 or 4 people working upfront with the rest wheel sucking. One can speculate why that is but thats the way it always is! Clearly the pros are better at dealing with this and how to form echelons etc.

But even so, still amazed at what can be achieved by the pros compared to the great conditions last year

Simple Calc:  180 people in bunch.  Each need todo 60 seconds at front at full gas, then you have 3 hrs done.

So if you can do 10 seconds at front, then you will have 30 minutes to recover if whole bunch work together. 

but ja

Wow, you actually typed and posted this without realising what an absolute twat you sound like? That's impressive.

Realistically only the pro's win anything, so with your flawed logic, ebikes are fine in anything after that batch.

I was thinking the same when I read that masterpiece. And the poorly concealed attempt at a semantic u-turn a few posts later only added to my amazement at the level of arrogance. 

I love cycling, I love the vibe at events and I love the community but I have said elsewhere on this forum and I will say it again...there are individuals on here (luckily in the minority) with who I will not want to ride my bike. Ever.  

I think that when conditions are ideal the pros don’t push as hard in the beginning. They wait and save their energy for the key areas where a break can be made. That’s Smits chappies and suikerbossie.

When the wind pumps they just knuckle down and teams keep the pace high to try and prevent anyone trying a break in conditions where other teams may be less willing to help bring it back.