[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

So this is also where I started scratching into the data. I lost 20 minutes but knew that the wind was to blame for much of that. Then I looked at position. I moved up the ranks by about 500 places. Great, But then I had to factor in that there were far fewer finishers. My relative position was slightly worse than in 2018. Bummer. But how many of these DNF riders would have come in before me under 2018 conditions? No idea. That's where I started looking for a better way to compare 2018 and 2019 results.

When I looked at my relative data from 2018 to 2019 my positive relative to the field has improved i 2019 yet my index is worse than for 2018.

This tells me the index calculation doesn't work correctly. The key issue is that it is looking at my time relative to the winner not relative to a theoretical rider.

at the stellenbosch tour the firld was weaker yet I finished at a position around 8% of the field.

At the CTCT is finished 2.4% of the field yet my index is worse because the quality of the field was better.

So its easy to game the system by riding events where the best riders won't be present.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go...

(Be strong little spreadsheet for you may have a rough time ahead.)

Couldnt edit the input field to get it working

Here we go...

Thanks! Works great and is roughly in line with what I figured.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brilliant little sheet --- Ryan reckons --- I like that - it could go viral. 

My 3:31 gives me 3:06 --- will I ever do a sub 3?

Here we go...

My next year goal is to get my old man a sub 3 at Cycle Tour. He did a 3:34 this year but was sick after his op in sept-Nov last year so not great prep.

Reckon with someone on the front on key sections looking at his climbing times should be possible. Will start by getting him up from a 2A seeding to 1C/D. Then have him work on his climbing.

With decent weather should not be too hard a task.

My mom will probably tag along as well.

Edited by Pure Savage

3:06? Double-check that. I'm getting 3:19 off a 3:31...

post-113086-0-01124100-1552629115_thumb.jpg

My next year goal is to get my old man a sub 3 at Cycle Tour. He did a 3:34 this year but was sick after his op in sept-Nov last year so not great prep.

Reckon with someone on the front on key sections looking at his climbing times should be possible. Will start by getting him up from a 2A seeding to 1C/D. Then have him work on his climbing.

I think you should put the 2 of them on a tandem - then you can wheelsuck for an easy one  :ph34r:  ;)

Edit: Seeing as Savages don't know what wheelsuck is, just ask if I should explain :D  

Edited by DJR

I think you should put the 2 of them on a tandem - then you can wheelsuck for an easy one :ph34r: ;)

Edit: Seeing as Savages don't know what wheelsuck is, just ask if I should explain :D

Confucius say 'Savages think wheelsuck when cost less than R50k per set'

Does your Dad know about this?  :D Would also like to move from 2A up to about 1C. (finished just before your Dad) Currently only do the CTCT, obviously to improve seeding need to do more races. Which 2-3 are regarded as the best to target for seeding purposes?

Here we go...

What am I doing wrong? I put my time in the top block and then it goes back to just # after I push enter. 

Last week this time wind was a hot topic

Check the forecast now.... typical cape town

d9dd9bd7f363db5881aee9e9a7f95139.jpg

Sent from my SM-A605F using Tapatalk

Here we go...

cool got it working. Interesting. Not sure what assumptions you made. Seems more than a little off the time I would have thought. Just looking at my average Watts and normalised power for this year compared to last I should have gone faster than 2018 in the same conditions.

Great attempt and thanks for sharing

What am I doing wrong? I put my time in the top block and then it goes back to just # after I push enter. 

same thing

Does your Dad know about this?  :D Would also like to move from 2A up to about 1C. (finished just before your Dad) Currently only do the CTCT, obviously to improve seeding need to do more races. Which 2-3 are regarded as the best to target for seeding purposes?

The cycle sportiffs had a big influence on my seeding.