[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big thumbs up for your wife, I am sure that medal will always hold a special place for her.

With regards to your friend, have they considered doing it on a tandem?  There is something special also finishing a race with your wife / son with you on the tandem.

you see, I see a tandem as doing either 1 of 2 things to your relationship.

It will either make it stronger or it will kill it.

As much as I'd like to get my wife to experience doing the tour, I dont think a tandem would be the right answer for us. My problem is my patience, I really dont have any. It took A LOT of effort last year to ride slowly with my dad, but we were on 2 separate bikes, so I was able to put a bit of breathing room between us when it got a bit much and then drop back down to him, no such luck on a tandem.

Big thumbs up for your wife, I am sure that medal will always hold a special place for her.

With regards to your friend, have they considered doing it on a tandem?  There is something special also finishing a race with your wife / son with you on the tandem.

Thanks man, she will treasure it for sure.

Yeah, that's something they can consider, but it does have a cost application aside from everything else. He wants to get her an ebike for other rides anyway and although (n + 1) is always the best answer, it's not always possible.

Just trying to understand the reasoning behind the 7H thing.

If it is purely to level the playing field between a 3A rider and 6F rider for getting a finishing time then it is easy to justify the extension by an hour given the conditions on the day.  Was wondering if there were other considerations we are all missing.

How about the CTCT is a sports event where the goal is to ride 109km in at least 7 hours and those that manage it gets recognised with a certificate and as an official finisher?

If it was just an untimed jol around the peninsula your reasoning that only the timing of road closures matter would make sense.

An ebike is human powered, just also has some extra juice. Not saying they should be allowed, but that rule is ambiguous.

read the intent behind the rule to remove the ambiguity. Only someone bent on forcing mechanical doping into the event will see that as ambiguous. but if the powers that be agree, then I stand by them when they ensure it reads as intended.

read the intent behind the rule to remove the ambiguity. Only someone bent on forcing mechanical doping into the event will see that as ambiguous. but if the powers that be agree, then I stand by them when they ensure it reads as intended.

I guess my view is influenced by working at a university where every student  who fails an exam is a barrack room lawyer and and goes running to the ombud if they feel  that the rules are ambiguous. Intent is never taken into account.

Wasn't there the only lady, at last year's 94.7 MTB event, terminally ill and completed it on an e-bike?

Bottom line this is a sporting event with some rules. Even with golf if you're too slow the marshals move you along.

As much as I sympathise for people that are sick, the CTCT is also using normal roads, so anyone can ride it any day using whatever mode of transportation in whatever time...

Data, glorious data!

Here's the key to the groups:

$ = 1;    @ = 2;    & = 3;    # = 4;    1A = 5;    1B = 6;    1C = 7;    1D = 8;    1E = 9;    1F = 10;    1G = 11;    1H = 12;    1J = 13;    1K = 14;    2A = 15;    2B = 16;    2C = 17;    2D = 18;    2E = 19;    2F = 20;    2G = 21;    2H = 22;    Jh = 23;    Js = 24;    Ju = 25;    2K = 26;    3A = 27;    3B = 28;    3C = 29;    3D = 30;    3E = 31;    3F = 32;    3G = 33;    3H = 34;    3J = 35;    3K = 36;    4A = 37;    4B = 38;    4C = 39;    4D = 40;    4E = 41;    4F = 42;    4G = 43;    4H = 44;    4J = 45;    4K = 46;    5A = 47;    5B = 48;    5C = 49;    5D = 50;    5E = 51;    5F = 52;    5G = 53;    5H = 54;    5J = 55;    5K = 56;    6A = 57;    6B = 58;    6C = 59;    6D = 60;    6E = 61;    6F = 62;    6G = 63;    6H = 64;    6J = 65;    6K = 66;   

And I end up being slap bang in the middle of the bell curve. Mr Average as usual, my whole life through.  :blush:

And I end up being slap bang in the middle of the bell curve. Mr Average as usual, my whole life through.  :blush:

Yes but you enjoy the sport and you are loved anyway… Welcome to the world of most of us! :-)

We do an OUTSTANDING job of being average cyclists! ;)  :)

Thanks man, she will treasure it for sure.

Yeah, that's something they can consider, but it does have a cost application aside from everything else. He wants to get her an ebike for other rides anyway and although (n + 1) is always the best answer, it's not always possible.

Would assume getting a tandem to cape town might cost a bit more, but we picked up a second hand one for around R8k. 

And I know some people are very scared of them, but to be honest they very stable and actually lots of fun. 

How was your overall position relative to 2018?  my time was relatively flat but my position improved by 3300   - I would guess being 20 minutes slower made your position slightly improved on last year - I think I read another statistic earlier in the thread that made an extra 20 minutes in 2019 the average 

So this is also where I started scratching into the data. I lost 20 minutes but knew that the wind was to blame for much of that. Then I looked at position. I moved up the ranks by about 500 places. Great, But then I had to factor in that there were far fewer finishers. My relative position was slightly worse than in 2018. Bummer. But how many of these DNF riders would have come in before me under 2018 conditions? No idea. That's where I started looking for a better way to compare 2018 and 2019 results.

What was the R^2 of your correlation? By the looks of the 'fit', eyeballing only, it doesn't well represent the data? If so, then using the correlation to aid interpretation will introduce an error, as I think you might be suggesting?

I'm right on the edge of my depth here. My assessment is intuitive, and quite possibly not mathematically sound. I cut up and plotted the data in various ways, looking for any performance variation trends. The strongest correlation I spotted was variation against race time. Looking at a scatter of the full field, it's not very convincing. But looking at average variance for race times falling in the same minute, it starts to look more like a trend. See Chart 5. The straight trend line looks OK. The 3rd order polynomial (it's nice and curvy but I don't know much more about it) looks better. The formulas are a bit of a mystery to me. Some gave me dodgy results. Something to do with the time format? Comments welcome.

post-113086-0-15062300-1552585314_thumb.jpg

I came in 4:14 I trained for a sub 4 after riding 5:05 in 2018.... So based on spreadsheet I basically would have gained 70min based on last year's conditions ending on 3:55.... Feeling better now