[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

Tapering?

Wind?

All you Guys are freaking me Out.

I have not yet done Enough Training.

help

The man that did almost as much mileage on one to celebrate his birthday than what I have done the entire year is saying he has not done enough training........ lol

110km is but a warm up ride for you

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took these during the cancelled one. As you can see the wind was good for racing.

attachicon.gif20170312_072348.jpgattachicon.gif20170312_072339_HDR.jpg

Jip......

Wind was not a factor in my humble opinion.   :whistling:

Managed to do 80km on the day with the going to and from the start together with the "false start" etc.

Was actually a good day of riding.  Pity it got canned.  One less closer to the 21 thing and it makes the decision just that 1% more difficult to go the next year.  

post-25-0-88833600-1551692767_thumb.jpg

rolling update

today's forecast

https://www.accuweather.com/en/za/cape-town/306633/daily-weather-forecast/306633?day=14

Hi of 24'C

Realfeel of 24'C (WTF that is)

0% of precipitation, but 0cm of precipitation

no snow or ice

WIND SSW13km/h gusting to 44km/h

so the wind has picked up they say.
I give this a 10% accuracy guarantee

FINAL WEEK rolling update:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/za/cape-town/306633/daily-weather-forecast/306633?day=7

Hi of 24'C

Realfeel of 25'C (WTF that is)

0% of precipitation, but 0cm of precipitation

no snow or ice

3% chance of thunderstorms   (most likely coming from everybody say HOPLA chorus)

WIND SE32km/h gusting to 68km/h

I live here.  Have my lines waxed.

just keep it SMOOVE bru SMOOVE

Then we'll get to the FINISHLINE

I took these during the cancelled one. As you can see the wind was good for racing.

Wind was fine for racing on the Blue Route yes, doesn't mean it wasn't blowing like hell on other places like Chappies. Contrary to what the conspiracy theorists think the organisers have nothing to gain by cancelling the race, 2 years later they are still paying the price with the reduction in entrants.

I am predicting this event is going to be called off.

So far Windguru and Ventusky are speaking from one mouthpiece, and I just don't see this event even starting.

attachicon.gifVentusky_Sunday_CTCT_RaceCancelComingUp.png

prolly taking in the same models and doing similar calcs.

it will be windy, maybe

it will change forecast, definitely!

it will be cancelled, probably not!

ja, well , no fine!

The man that did almost as much mileage on one to celebrate his birthday than what I have done the entire year is saying he has not done enough training........ lol

110km is but a warm up ride for you

Hello ouzo

But BUT but it was Too Slow.

Not realizing that Strava do not Recognize activities longer than 24 hours.

I finished in 24H24

its the same event. 

all costs have already been incurred.

No roads have to be held open longer than the designated period.

No marshalls need to be paid overtime waiting for me

No traffic officer needs to eat extra doughnuts while I trundle along.

No extra medical expenses are incurred.

the 2nd entry fee is a discouragement tax, nothing else. the organisers don't really want the second lap because its an inconvenience as so few people actually do it.

The only addition cost is a little printed sticker that isn't worth R540. I'd rather go and spend that at a cafe along the route and cheer the backmarkers.

BTW nice choice of antogonisng words there Jase.... "entitled"

clearly you have a suitcase to be unpacked here neh

If cost was the only consideration I would have agreed with you. But it's not as if they just let you loose on the 2nd lap and forget about you. They still take responsibility for your safety on route, if you crash or get ill they have to provide medics & contact your family. There have to be enough food & drinks organised for people riding late in the day, Racetec gets paid for your second time etc. It's reasonable to me that they at least charge something

You can also look at it from the way it was 5 or 6 years ago when second laps weren't allowed at all and people had to devise ways to sneak onto the route without their timing chips and ride skelm worrying that they might get caught. Compared to that I am ok with paying the full fee and do the second lap legally. Although I certainly would not complain if they give us some discount....

Jip......

Managed to do 80km on the day with the going to and from the start together with the "false start" etc.

Was actually a good day of riding.  Pity it got canned.  One less closer to the 21 thing and it makes the decision just that 1% more difficult to go the next year.  

That's me!!!

post-58906-0-89339700-1551694989_thumb.jpg

Jip......

I got back in the car and drove home to muizies (before the traffic).

wifey said, you still have the morning off.

I was in my kit so went riding down south.

I did the "~80km route" that we were going to do with the masi protest diversion.

Mainly because i wanted to be windgat and show the organisers that it was a k#k move.

I did the full loop back to muizies, but on main road as the M3 was now obviously closed.

I handled it, chappies and victoria drive were a bit of a dice, and there were quite a few other cyclists out there 

In hindsight i don't begrudge them for calling it off, or safety reasons as large groups would have been very interesting there, people would have been injured for sure, someone might have blown off CPD, you have to account for all skill levels and stubbornness.

Wind was never the reason it got canceled that one time.

wow, that's quite a statement. Uh mean it's wrong, but I do like the confidence shown.

so if it wasn't wind, then it probably wasn't masi protest (alternate route sorted) or HB fires alt route sorted and under control (despite wind) either.

I'm guessing you're going with Julius malema, noxious chemtrails or ebola virus (or combination of all three) for the cancellation

You post so many pictures of yourself on twitter but non of these road works. I am disappointed in you. Post some pics for me please. 

PS: I saw your tweet re your line choice and I was going to ask for pics so I got a heads up.

When you see the road, you will see why I did not take a photo, i was too busy praying at that stage to not be murdered by a taxi to actually take a photo...

Wind was never the reason it got canceled that one time.

It may not have been the sole reason but it did play a role. We have concluded that riding the route was manageable on most parts and dodge on some areas. But the start line was without a doubt not ridable(and both of these points I can vouch for as I did it). Getting 30 000 odd people through there would have been idiotic.