Canyon Aeroad - Read if you planning on purchasing one

button

I may be wrong but the past few pages have been debating the aerotuck position while pedalling at the same time ie, the Froome riding style.

When descending dropping down onto the TT to establish a tuck position is not entirely new in any way or form. In fact its been around since "Moses played scrumhalf for Egypt".

That being said, applying weight to the TT shouldn't see it consistently break. Canyon claims to have one of the lightest Aero bikes on the market, and it seems to me they have jeopardised the integrity of the TT carbon to achieve this...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/178350-canyon-aeroad-read-if-you-planning-on-purchasing-one/?p=3370851

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm taking this from one of the first posts...  from a Google that a guy in HK had the same issue. He weighed 55kg and only rested on the TT at red lights. ...

This says a great deal about the integrity of their carbon work

So don't buy one and move on. 

I'm taking this from one of the first posts... from a Google that a guy in HK had the same issue. He weighed 55kg and only rested on the TT at red lights. ...

This says a great deal about the integrity of their carbon work

Have you also heard from the thousands of Aeroad owners that weigh 100kg, love the TT tuck and have not broken their frames?

One swallow does not a summer make.

I understand.

I'm also illustrating how these things normally go with the UCI.  Before they can prove it's support they'll need to put a pressure sensor in your chamois.

You can't use this rule as written to ban it unless the rider does it the majority of the time.

If you could use this rule to ban it, you can use this rule to ban putting your knee against the top tube to steer.

You do what?  One is never to old to learn new steering techniques I guess, I'm going to try this over the weekend

I see the owner (wisely) left off water bottles in case the extra weight makes the frame explode!!!

Yup - hydrating is for the weak anyway.

I'm also going to get some paint stripper and remove all the paint. Next, I'm going to cut out every second spoke. And finally, I am going to drill holes in my seat post to save some weight, hoping that my top tube doesn't break!! 

Yup - hydrating is for the weak anyway.

I'm also going to get some paint stripper and remove all the paint. Next, I'm going to cut out every second spoke. And finally, I am going to drill holes in my seat post to save some weight, hoping that my top tube doesn't break!! 

Drilling holes in your seat post, is so last year. Just remove you seat and seat post, save a few hundred grams, and sit on the top tube, its seems to be the accepted norm now.

Problem solved.. just add this to your bike..

And they sell these things in different guises for kids to ride with their parents. No doubt that voids the warranty on any bike that its used on, but in 99% of cases, nothing ever goes wrong. 

I have a trailer bike for my kid - adds some nice loads to the seat tube of my steel hard tail. 

I recall as a kid lifting friends on the TT of old steel racers. Real boat anchor bikes but they never broke there. 

So bikes get used outside of their strict design parameters all the time, no? 

To my mind, Canyon have stuffed up here. This issue must be well documented by now. Their documentation should be far clearer than it is and explicitly state that the super tuck is not allowed.

They wont do that though because it suits them not to.  It could lose them sales and diminish the mystique of the wonder material the bikes is made of. Statistically, it probably works out better financially for them to accept the failures periodically and then jump on the warranty issue if they can establish top tube riding occurred.

Makes you think how many bikes they sell and the cost price of each frame they replace. Big money being made I suspect. 

I have a trailer bike for my kid - adds some nice loads to the seat tube of my steel hard tail. 

I recall as a kid lifting friends on the TT of old steel racers. Real boat anchor bikes but they never broke there. 

So bikes get used outside of their strict design parameters all the time, no?

You're comparing steel bikes and boat anchor bikes (same thing, no? :ph34r:) to a race bike.  They'e not the same animal can aren't comparable.  You wouldn't compare the towing capabilities of a Hilux to a Ferrari and what you're saying above is doing just that. 

You're comparing steel bikes and boat anchor bikes (same thing, no? :ph34r:) to a race bike.  They'e not the same animal can aren't comparable.  You wouldn't compare the towing capabilities of a Hilux to a Ferrari and what you're saying above is doing just that. 

Oh, okay, so despite costing a small fortune and being made out of a material touted as the next best thing to the Fifth Element, a "Race Bike" is a fragile piece of poop that needs to be treated with kid gloves? I thought the whole idea was that carbon was super strong and light. Not just light. 

Ok, seriously, what about all the other bikes, carbon and otherwise that have those kiddy seats stuck on them either TT or as a carrier out back? And then there are also people like me and my wife who carried out baba on our back all over the trails without breaking him or our bikes?

The point is that nearly every bike gets used beyond its design criteria at some point and suffers no ill effects. This bike gets used like Canyon's own pro's do and cracks. It should carry a big warning label.

As I pointed out though, they won't do this because $$

Seems like this thread has pushed many people's button(s), pun intended.  :huh:

I guess you have Canyon lovers... and rightfully so

Then you have people who ask why Canyon would risk so much to have a lighter frame... imagine if that frame broke in half and someone got seriously hurt... would a warranty matter then??

To my mind, Canyon have stuffed up here. This issue must be well documented by now. Their documentation should be far clearer than it is and explicitly state that the super tuck is not allowed.

They wont do that though because it suits them not to. It could lose them sales and diminish the mystique of the wonder material the bikes is made of. Statistically, it probably works out better financially for them to accept the failures periodically and then jump on the warranty issue if they can establish top tube riding occurred.

Makes you think how many bikes they sell and the cost price of each frame they replace. Big money being made I suspect.

Now how have the consumer centric European union standards authority and the litigious consumer fraternity in the US not picked up on this.

Start a class action, make a fortune

Edited by eddy

Try googling "broken xxxxx frame" and you'll invariably end up with "a lot" - however many "a lot" is...my uselessly small and fast google investigation got to about 10 frames. Given that this guy has broken 3 of them we could extrapolate and say he alone broke 30% of the worlds Aeroroads!

Statistics is, of course, a fickle maiden but if the owner broke 3 frames in exactly the same way my first port of call would be use/owner not manufacturer.

Yeah sure, but I'm not interested in what percentage of their bikes have broken. The only statistics that would have any relevance to my point is the number of warranty claims (both successful and not) and the point of failure. 

To your second point, I agree fully that it isn't a design issue. But if the top tube is as fragile as Canyon has indicated in their response, surely this should be highlighted to all purchasers, and particularly to an owner who has already broken 2 top tubes? Which is kind of the point the OP raised in his first post...

Edited by GrahamS2