Makro Cannondale

Eugene

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

US Federal Law

Same with those plastic disks between the spokes and the cassette. I picked up a top of the range S-Works Epic at Evans cycles in the UK for a mate of mine once. It looked SO wrong with that plastic disc which we only expect to see on kids bikes, but apparently its law in the UK

Interesting, didn't know that. SA obviously doesn't have that law?

I would imagine that most bikes are either from or intended for the US market so thats one of the conditions they have to comply with

That's a straight steerer and I can attest after looking for a new fork for my Momsen that finding a fork for a straight steerer is a challenge...bear that in mind if you buy one with the intention to upgrade as time goes on...

Not knowing what a “straight steerer” is , is the fact that finding a decent replacement fork is a problem the only thing that is wrong with a straight steerer ? Having a thousand of these landing on our shores as we speak , maybe someone has the foresight to bring in a few replacement parts specifically designed to upgrade this bunch ....

Not knowing what a “straight steerer” is , is the fact that finding a decent replacement fork is a problem the only thing that is wrong with a straight steerer ? Having a thousand of these landing on our shores as we speak , maybe someone has the foresight to bring in a few replacement parts specifically designed to upgrade this bunch ....

it's just a bit of a quest...I bought a momsen bike last year that I thought had a tapered steerer fork but the frames headtube is designed to look tapered and unfortunately the fork was straight steerer. I contacted many bike shops and eventually one managed to order me a RS Recon from the suppliers. Tapered is the more common standard now it would seem...not a Biggie but I thought when I bought the bike I would just simply upgrade the fork to something better when I knackered it up...!

I should add that it was a straight steerer 9mm QR fork and most forks now are also thru axle...

Edited by Mojoman

it's just a bit of a quest...I bought a momsen bike last year that I thought had a tapered steerer fork but the frames headtube is designed to look tapered and unfortunately the fork was straight steerer. I contacted many bike shops and eventually one managed to order me a RS Recon from the suppliers. Tapered is the more common standard now it would seem...not a Biggie but I thought when I bought the bike I would just simply upgrade the fork to something better when I knackered it up...!

I should add that it was a straight steerer 9mm QR fork and most forks now are also thru axle...

Just FYI, I upgraded my older Momsen HT fork as well last year...found a good deal on a straight (or 1 1/8”) steerer fork at evobikes on one of their sales. They have a 2019 Recon gold on their site: https://www.evobikes.co.za/forks/rockshox-recon-silver-29-tk-air-fork-2013.html

A R5k Makro bike and R5k shock but then you still have to upgrade the wheels and groupset. Bars stem ect.

With this straight steerer.

I will rather look at the classifieds here for a nice second hand hardtail if I want to spend R10k from the start.

These Makro "Cannondales" will however make nice kids bikes / commuters in my opinion.

It's a delicate balance - Distributors support the shops that support them (in terms of shop floor space, advertising, brand awareness etc). 

A shop that "sells" bikes by Internet pictures or word of mouth should not get the same deal as shops that invest in brands. How to make the system fair is of course a complex issue.

One shop per area sounds a little monopolistic to me though!

In conpetition law this would fall under the dividing markets category. Appears they haven’t quite learned the lesson of the last competition law violation.

The elephant in the room is the big retailers muscling the distributors and smaller stores to work according to the way they want the market to behave.

Just need another rFritz to post minutes of one of the meetings again and we can get the ball rolling

And the Cannondale Trail 5 was nowhere to be seen at Makro stores in the Rand today ....

Yep and Milnerton CT will only be getting frames in large - no mediums ect....