Cannondale SuperSix HillClimb <5kgs

UK-Saffa

I am on 990g tubs, along with 190g tubular tyres, which work out lighter than most wheel/tyre/tube systems.

I am happy on tubs, had 1 puncture in last 3 years.

ah i see you are abroad.

local roads here are littered with glass and nasties - makes tubs a no go unless you have constant vehicle support

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ah i see you are abroad.

local roads here are littered with glass and nasties - makes tubs a no go unless you have constant vehicle support

Desperately hoping my tubs survive 3 weeks in December

So new bar has landed, at 286g, 21 over weight, but in all matte black, it really helps the look of the bike.

An updated pic:

post-104156-0-52691000-1542553413_thumb.jpg

Still to be changed:

Fork +- 50g saving

Saddle 21g saving

Seatpost +-20g saving

Corima brake pads (saving unsure)

Current weight: 5.08kgs

Sub 5 looking a long way off at the minute, but doable (I think :blush: )

Spent a load of time talking to Steve well before this video, from the start of his build. Great guy to talk to. Crazy thing is he could move to some AX 25T tubular wheels and lighter track tubs and probably come out around 3.9XXkgs

A new seatpost arrived today, got that fitted and figured may as well weigh the bike and see where I’m at. It’s safe to say I think I need a new set of scales, or that I’ve smashed my target. I will get better pictures of the bike and current setup this weekend

post-104156-0-84443900-1542836302_thumb.jpeg

Still to change:

Saddle -21g

Fork -50g

Headset bearings -20g

If my weight and savings are accurate, this may even stand a chance of touching 4.7XXkgs

So clearly you've gone mad but doesn't it feel so rewarding when you put it on the scale and you are under. Just received upgrades on my open that got me so far under target that I am fitting heavier tyres because current ones fly uphill and make me $h!t myself downhill and on any corner. Looking toward to seeing you complete the last few steps

Zero to update at the minute. New scale arrived and the old one was definitely on something, bike still sits around the 5.08kg mark. Currently waiting for new HS bearings to arrive and the fork should with me by the weekend. I land in Cape Town next Saturday and will finally be united with my AX Lightness saddle, so will then know the 'final' weight of this build.

Unfortunately missed out on these pedals on eBay last night, although they don't look practical, and I'm sure walking in the cleats is horrible, at just 71gr for the pair of pedals, that's around 110gr lighter than my Looks. Would've been fun to give them a go and then maybe just relegate them to the spares bin.

post-104156-0-90307900-1543417707_thumb.jpg

I'm still quietly confident this will sneak under 5kgs, but still a bit of time to wait before knowing for sure.

If you are not a knuckle-dragging brute of Cavendish power proportions, as a last resort I would carefully plan and drill out the cranks (ie drill holes into them)....that has GOT to save some weight...maybe do a test drill on a cooked crank from your LBS first?

If you are not a knuckle-dragging brute of Cavendish power proportions, as a last resort I would carefully plan and drill out the cranks (ie drill holes into them)....that has GOT to save some weight...maybe do a test drill on a cooked crank from your LBS first?

So drilling has been a thought now and then, but not something Im going to do. I'll get below 5kgs without any major 'HACKS' as GCN would put it.

I have decided to try a rather radical pedal system, no idea if it'll work out for me, but you don't know if you don't try.

M2 Racer Orb Ti - 98grams for BOTH pedals

post-104156-0-63503200-1543571804_thumb.png

I'm hoping to have these just in time for my trip to Cape Town

Edited by UK-Saffa

So drilling has been a though now and then, but not something Im going to do. I'll get below 5kgs without any major 'HACKS' as GCN would put it.

I have decided to try a rather radical pedal system, no idea if it'll work out for me, but you don't know if you don't try.

M2 Racer Orb Ti - 98grams for BOTH pedals

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-30 at 9.53.45 AM.png

I'm hoping to have these just in time for my trip to Cape Town

jayzzzuzzz

that is taking it a bit far

oh wait, it's old school light stuff.

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/technspec/m2-squared-racer/

A new seatpost arrived today, got that fitted and figured may as well weigh the bike and see where I’m at. It’s safe to say I think I need a new set of scales, or that I’ve smashed my target. I will get better pictures of the bike and current setup this weekend

attachicon.gif954A8A2A-50E1-4772-AF0B-C0723207D3CF.jpeg

Still to change:

Saddle -21g

Fork -50g

Headset bearings -20g

If my weight and savings are accurate, this may even stand a chance of touching 4.7XXkgs

I have a similar scale at home, you get a different reading everytime you weigh the same item.  Not very accurate but close.

I have a similar scale at home, you get a different reading everytime you weigh the same item.  Not very accurate but close.

I have replaced the scale, and back to where I should be around 5.072kgs

Got the new fork on as well as new FSA SL headset bearings. The difference in for is the top new the steerer tube is much thinner, and in all just a little slimmer top to bottom. Unfortunately savings were nowhere near what I was hoping, got around 30grams instead of the hoped for 50. So current weight is now at 5.030kgs. I have 21grams to loose with the AX saddle, which will leave me looking for 10grams to hit 4.999kgs. Shouldn't be to difficult. I'll be handing her over to Clint at the Uitsig Bikepark to work his magic and see what we can come up with to loose the last 10 grams. I have yet to commit to the new pedals as something has come up that may take preference over bikes, just this once.

I know these photos get boring, almost identical each time, but it will be great to be able to look back at the documented progress.

post-104156-0-15255700-1543826372_thumb.jpg

The fork also has a little extra HM detail, which the old one did not.

post-104156-0-36863800-1543826706_thumb.png