Giro d'Italia 2019

ScottCM

I love it that a non hyped up non favourite from a beleaguered central American country won the race fair and square, and he truly deserved the victory. Sure his strong team had a lot to do with it, but it was down to him, clever riding and a great climber. A week ago no one was taking him seriously.

Those last few days in the Dolomites were truly stunning and sensational, the weather and scenery that is. And he did lead from the front.

Love the Giro!

awesome hey?

And he was over 3 mins behind Roglic and 1:30 behind Nibbles on the 1st rest day, despite having already won a stage. They both let him go up the road on stage 13 and 14, assuming that Landa (who was 1:40 behind carapaz) would be the movistar leader no matter what.

ha ha

I tried to find the odds on him winning, restrospectively - he was behind ZAKA! 

Giro d’Italia 2019 Current Best Odds

Primoz Roglic 7/4

Tom DuMoulin 11/4

Simon Yates 13/4

Vincenzo Nibali 8/1

Miguel Angel Lopez 12/1

Mikel Landa 20/1

Ivan Ramiro Sosa 66/1

Linur Zakarin 70/1

Richard Carapaz 80/1

Bob Jungels, Rafal Majka and Pavel Sivakov 100/1

150/1 and Upwards Others

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yates will probably reflect a bit after shooting his mouth off 3 weeks ago.  Or would he???

I don't share this general feeling that Yates* is a chop.

Orica has always been a cool team.

Both him and his brother have handled the issue of both being compared to each other quite well, although they haven't seemingly ever ridden together on the same roster for a high profile race.

He's aggressive, really took the racing at 18 Giro, and made it fun to watch. He rescued that massive blowout by winning the Vuelta.

*well there was that TUE error that cost him 4months

Both him and his brother have handled the issue of both being compared to each other quite well, although they haven't seemingly ever ridden together on the same roster for a high profile race.

He's aggressive, really took the racing at 18 Giro, and made it fun to watch. He rescued that massive blowout by winning the Vuelta.

I like the Yates bro's. I'm glad they are coming into their own in interviews (even though it was a bit off this time) and not giving the usual, vanilla, robot answers that most Press officers are making sure their GC riders are saying. They race well, the giro last year was epic event before the froome day, the bounce back to the  Vuelta was full of (justified) self belief. I hope they continue to get better and race how they want to. The 'new generation' coming though is super exciting. What a great time for bike racing!

It will make sense for Ineos to have a top GC rider to fill the gap between the old brigade Froome  @ 34 years old and Thomas @ 33) and the new brigade (Bernal, Hart, Sivakov and Sosa who are all below 24 and to a certain degree unproven at the very highest level. Carapaz also fits in nicely with their strategy to have more South American representation in their team.

For the general cycling fans who want exciting racing such a move might not be good news as it will mean that Ineos will be able to  "park the bus" even more than Jose Mourinho could do during the days when he was still a genius :) 

I agree that is he normally cool and he was great to watch last year with his aggressive style of racing.  And him shooting his month off might be some Brit banter, which I normally very much enjoy.

But I don't like arrogance - like most people.  So a bit of a thin line here, with the media in the middle, perhaps not helping.

Also like the Orica vibe. 

I heard the commentators mentioning this move before he was in pink - after winning the Giro so convincingly he deserves a few bob more

cool article on were it went right

http://inrng.com/medias/images/giro2019finalgc.gif

http://inrng.com/2019/06/the-moment-the-giro-ditalia-was-won/

and how's this - el presidente is onboard

"Some say sport changes lives. I believe that sport can change an entire country," he wrote.

"For that, Richard's triumph, as well as filling us with happiness and pride, must make us reflect on those athletes who have the ability but not the means - those that need dedicated structures to help them train, to provide them with the resources to enable them to fulfil their potential. Fewer words and more actions. Let’s hope that, with Richard's victory, the government treats sport as a priority and that the President understands the benefits of investing in sport, which keeps us healthy, keeps us away from drugs and other vices, and cultivates values like discipline and perseverance."

It seems the government is already on the same page. President Moreno has just announced that taxes on bicycle imports will be removed, and that the state will go further in supporting its athletes.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-victory-gives-carapaz-sporting-immortality-in-ecuador/

cool article on were it went right

http://inrng.com/medias/images/giro2019finalgc.gif

http://inrng.com/2019/06/the-moment-the-giro-ditalia-was-won/

and how's this - el presidente is onboard

"Some say sport changes lives. I believe that sport can change an entire country," he wrote.

"For that, Richard's triumph, as well as filling us with happiness and pride, must make us reflect on those athletes who have the ability but not the means - those that need dedicated structures to help them train, to provide them with the resources to enable them to fulfil their potential. Fewer words and more actions. Let’s hope that, with Richard's victory, the government treats sport as a priority and that the President understands the benefits of investing in sport, which keeps us healthy, keeps us away from drugs and other vices, and cultivates values like discipline and perseverance."

It seems the government is already on the same page. President Moreno has just announced that taxes on bicycle imports will be removed, and that the state will go further in supporting its athletes.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-victory-gives-carapaz-sporting-immortality-in-ecuador/

He should do a colab music video with Sash! and really give the country a boost.......

• 4 weeks later...

Archived