[Event] Tshwane Classic

Forthelove

I am terribly conflicted at the moment with this event.

Finances are terribly tight, difficult to justify the entry fee, especially as we just went down for Shova and 947 is around the corner which has already been paid for. 

On the other hand it is the only event that is close enough for me to ride to the start and back home afterwards so I want it to be a success.

Happy medium would probably be for me to promote this with my friends and family as much as possible to ensure they ride to offset the possibility of me not riding...

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure the venue can hold 10k entries. I did it last year and entry/exit was a bit of a nightmare. But it was a good route, I really enjoyed the race despite the strike action that caused some chaos in our group. 

See entries have been extended to tonight

Was just about to comment the same.

Based on Frosty's post, it does seem like the "flood of entry requests" this morning is possible, due to the entry numbers nearly moving up 50% last night. Still nowhere near 6500 though, which is such a lame move if the numbers are indeed lied about.

Was just about to comment the same.

Based on Frosty's post, it does seem like the "flood of entry requests" this morning is possible, due to the entry numbers nearly moving up 50% last night. Still nowhere near 6500 though, which is such a lame move if the numbers are indeed lied about.

Agreed, I really hope this event gets traction though, enjoyed last year and only 7km from home. TBH, for purely selfish reasons, I'm not too disappointed in the low numbers, I'm starting to detest the 94.7 type events with 25000 people, just too much of a mission to get in and out. I do however understand that larger numbers will go a long way in ensuring that event's continuation next year.  

I definitely live somewhat under a rock, but I don't think the event is marketed very well. I only heard about it from a friend in Polokwane who happened to overhear some guys in his riding group discussing it. I think if they wan't more numbers, they should do some better advertising. 

Having said that though, I entered today for the 98km. Can anyone comment on the route and what to look out for? How does it compare the 947? Any chance someone has a gpx file for the garmin?

I definitely live somewhat under a rock, but I don't think the event is marketed very well. I only heard about it from a friend in Polokwane who happened to overhear some guys in his riding group discussing it. I think if they wan't more numbers, they should do some better advertising.

Having said that though, I entered today for the 98km. Can anyone comment on the route and what to look out for? How does it compare the 947? Any chance someone has a gpx file for the garmin?

Much easier than 94.7; to give an indication, I did a 2:52 for Tshwane, 3:16 for 94.7 last year. That being said, the routehas changed slightly this year. One major climb to watch out for at around 80km mark (Tom Jenkins), short but brutal, saw LOTS of people walking there last year

Much easier than 94.7; to give an indication, I did a 2:52 for Tshwane, 3:16 for 94.7 last year. That being said, the routehas changed slightly this year. One major climb to watch out for at around 80km mark (Tom Jenkins), short but brutal, saw LOTS of people walking there last year

Thanks for the info. Really looking forward to it. 

What are the sections through town like in terms of potholes, glass, pedestrians etc?

I also can't see any info on water points on the route. Any ideas?

Clearly you guys are not on the ASG mailing list...............