The Veganism Thread

Odinson

You can lose weight easily on a plant based diet if you don't eat right. I've actually gained 1.5kg in a month

He is talking about performance gains.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can lose weight easily on a plant based diet if you don't eat right. I've actually gained 1.5kg in a month

That does not mean its healthy. Calories does not equal macro nutrients.

And here I thought Game Changers was about e-bikes!!

One could argue that charging you eBike from sustainable energy sources, reduces the calorific requirement to move, which in turn means less cows need to be eaten.

What would be more environmentally friendly, eating a lamb chop from the farm down the road, or an Avocado that had to be transported from a different continent? 

I'm not doubting my diet, I'm just asking from a cyclist point of view what can cause cramps.. Like I said, 55km is easy for me as I ride a 3-4 hr distance ride every week.

Well, cramps are generally caused by a loss of flow of blood to the muscle together with the consequent nutrients, or by dehydration. I still blame the erections.

I did the 94.7 mtb today (55km). Got seeded in the 18th bath. I never had a more k#@ race in my life. I started to cramp just after 20 km. I do 3-4 hour distance ride every week and feel perfectly fine. Foods high in magnesium are bananas, whole grain, seeds etc. And I eat those stuff everyday. So if it wasn't low magnesium that made me cramp then what could it be?

Cancer

swimming? :whistling:  ;)

riding with a massive erection

You know this thread was k@k for a while. But now you're here and it is so much more fun.

You know this thread was k@k for a while. But now you're here and it is so much more fun.

You have to be careful, though. Irony has been known to also cause cramps among those who have 'awoken', as the kids say... To the point of massive erections, though, it is necessary to also address the 'You can't beat the meat!' crowd, because there are definite health advantages to reducing your intake. You must teach kids to protect themselves, both from the excessive meat intake itself and from the irony deficiency than can arise from too little.

In other words. Fad diets.

”Are you confused by all these diets we have been bombarded with in the media? We had paleo a little while ago. We had to eat like our ancestors otherwise we would develop diseases and die. Then we had keto, we need to go keto otherwise you will get diabetes and die. Avoid carbohydrate! Now we can’t be keto and definitely not paleo, we need to avoid meat! We have seen three massive trends in the space of a few years. Believe me, scientific insights haven’t changed in this short period of time! Science doesn’t move that fast…. However, different interpretations and especially opinions do change fast… Unfortunately, these are not always based on science or evidence, even thought they may pretend that they do. “

In other words. Fad diets.

”Are you confused by all these diets we have been bombarded with in the media? We had paleo a little while ago. We had to eat like our ancestors otherwise we would develop diseases and die. Then we had keto, we need to go keto otherwise you will get diabetes and die. Avoid carbohydrate! Now we can’t be keto and definitely not paleo, we need to avoid meat! We have seen three massive trends in the space of a few years. Believe me, scientific insights haven’t changed in this short period of time! Science doesn’t move that fast…. However, different interpretations and especially opinions do change fast… Unfortunately, these are not always based on science or evidence, even thought they may pretend that they do. “

No I would not put it in the same category overall as those diets, as there are bigger benefits outside of the pure dietary sphere.

No I would not put it in the same category overall as those diets, as there are bigger benefits outside of the pure dietary sphere.

still.. is veganism a meme (in the Richard Dawkins sense of the word) - i.e. a compelling idea spreading through society. Doesn't have to be scientifically right or wrong to be a successful idea.

https://www.richarddawkins.net/2014/02/whats-in-a-meme/

The meme first appeared in Richard Dawkins’ first book, “The Selfish Gene” (1976), and was an attempt to understand why some behaviours, from an evolutionary perspective, seemed to make no sense but, somehow or other, were found to be very common in human societies.

Some interesting numbers here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_by_country

Ultimately veganism is the extreme end of vegetarianism. Is it a fad/meme? Probably for now but I see it growing and growing and growing. It is a much broader diet than fad diets - fad diets only affect the user - veganism affects everyone thanks to it's environmental benefits.

In my opinion it will outlive and outlast any of the paleo/carnivore/highfatblashblah diets.