Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

The difference in weight is definitely noticeable when running! I had a very nice run the other day and it has made me think twice about trying to put on (too much) extra muscle (or fat) mass.

Agree, I was only able to start running without getting too much pain in my knees and joints after dropping from 125kg to 95kg. Started two months ago, not huge distances yet, between 6 and 8km once or twice a week when I take a rest day off the bike. Dropping all that weight also helps A LOT with climbing hills on the bike!!

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also still in the challenge, only updated my weight this morning for March - I only lost 800g

This last month was really bad for me, not only eating wise but training as well.  I can normally only do rides on the road/trail on the weekend, and due to an emergency at work with a fellow colleague I had to go to Kuwait twice - and each time I leave on a Saturday and come back on a Saturday, so the last 3 weeks I only managed a single 40km ride.  And I am back in Kuwait at the moment. 

I did however realise this weekend if I really want to make my weight challenge work I will have to eat considerably less and be more disciplined - now that I am older it doesn't work to eat a "healthy" plate of food in the afternoon or evening if the portions are still fairly big, my weight just remains the same especially if I don't exercise. 

So with renewed effort I am still planning (definitely going) to loose another 8-10kg by middle August in time for Transbaviaans, This will leave me at my initial goal weight of 88-90kg

I'm sure by now, most of us are eating healthier to lose that extra weight, but this is an eye opener:

A Bad Diet Is More Deadly Than Smoking or High Blood Pressure

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a27041475/poor-diet-more-deadly-tobacco-high-blood-pressure/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=socialflowFBRW&fbclid=IwAR1g7TnzTr6FZzzZqO90Xor3kyWbSOE0JSdYNuNNQDRKjuuk-4WyOiFPMv8

So you have a weight issue...you visit the doctor ...he scares the living daylights out of you... calls your wife and tells her you should be dead ...so you  ride a bike and change a few bad eating habits...you loose weight a little or a lot ...you loose interest...life happens...you gain  weight and so the cycle continues...up and down.

so long as the general eating habits of everyone in the house dont change for the better ...you are fighting a loosing battle...how everyone else eats will eventually become the way you eat.

this is just the general cycle i see with many people who loose weight and regain it...you get a small percentage who stay focused because of goals or groups they ride in etc... who mange to keep at it...for much longer.

then you find out kids at school are making comments about your kids weight or size...then it becomes your responsibility...its time to figue out a way to fix this problem...starting with jars of sweets...muffins...biscuits etc...lunch which is sent to school...dinners etc...this is gona be a bigger challenge but might help me fix my problem...stuff like granny slipping a box of chocolates or a string of chips etc into the mix every visit just add to the challenge.

Edited by eccc whippet

So you have a weight issue...you visit the doctor ...he scares the living daylights out of you... calls your wife and tells her you should be dead ...so you ride a bike and change a few bad eating habits...you loose weight a little or a lot ...you loose interest...life happens...you gain weight and so the cycle continues...up and down.

so long as the general eating habits of everyone in the house dont change for the better ...you are fighting a loosing battle...how everyone else eats will eventually become the way you eat.

this is just the general cycle i see with many people who loose weight and regain it...you get a small percentage who stay focused because of goals or groups they ride in etc... who mange to keep at it...for much longer.

then you find out kids at school are making comments about your kids weight or size...then it becomes your responsibility...its time to figue out a way to fix this problem...starting with jars of sweets...muffins...biscuits etc...lunch which is sent to school...dinners etc...this is gona be a bigger challenge but might help me fix my problem...stuff like granny slipping a box of chocolates or a string of chips etc into the mix every visit just add to the challenge.

Fwiw mate, it's time to get serious with those things. Just flat out tell your mother / her mother not to do it. Don't tell the kids you're clamping down on them as well, rather frame it as dad needs some help and the abundance of stuff is impeding you drastically (cos it is, after all) and get the entire family on board.

My 2c, and it's being said to me just as much as you

Its a pity my neck issue isnt helping with my bad eating habits...lately i have been battling to sleep and swallow food.

it feels like i have injured my neck/upper back which has for some strange reason affected my throat when i swallow food ...i just hope it is not related to with the bump on the head last year...maybe i will end up sipping food through a straw...could help loose some weight ;)

Long weekend coming up... where diets fear to tread ;)

What motivates you more with weight loss: Seeing that your weight has gone up or seeing that it has gone down? For me it's usually seeing progress that's more motivating.

Long weekend coming up... where diets fear to tread ;)

What motivates you more with weight loss: Seeing that your weight has gone up or seeing that it has gone down? For me it's usually seeing progress that's more motivating.

Mine used to be the scale, now it's more the centimeters and the small drops in weight.

The scale is not a true reflection of what is happening in your journey to weigh less, so one needs to focus on other motivators, like food choices and drinks choices! 

I was in a bike store yesterday, buying some motivation. This guy comes in and starts looking at stems and bars for his bike. He then gets the assistant to weigh them! I'm standing there with my mouth open, thinking dude, I ride with 25 2litre cokes strapped to my body. You lucky bastard, I wish I could get the the point where I am concerned about my bike being a few grams lighter.

Right now I'm just happy my bike hasn't collapsed under me. It does make some odd creaking noises. The owner of the bike shop reckons it's the weight weenies that keep them in business. I wanna be a weight weenie!!

• 2 weeks later...

I managed a loss this month even though i did not achieve target kilometers and also ate to many cheats at night . Waffles and ice cream , banana and date loaf and a few pancakes as well . I have settled into  a good training regieme and find that if i stick to that then i can control my weight quite easily even when not watching what and when i eat . Im down to 84kg and find climbing enjoysable now as well as being able to turn a big gear for long periods on the flat roads . 

post-111826-0-34721100-1556734792_thumb.jpg

Also not a good month for me i am up to 102,5kg. I am training much harder, looks leaner but the scale tells me otherwise....back to the drawing board for me. I think i have one or two too many cheat meals....

Edited by Help.Me.