Dear mountain bikers.. from trail runners

Chris_

so many roadies now on the trails......

Perhaps, but in my experience they all just ride the fire roads, climbing all the way up to saaltjie, only to to take photos of the trailhead signs and go back down the same way again. 

So no loss there.

Edited by stefmeister

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I encountered a runner going up a trail - we were going the correct way down, to be told - a bit of a warning would be nice!...surely if you are opposing the flow on a tail you should be more aware of bikers coming down....?

There is a closed loop trail where I run and most of the time it's with the flow of traffic, but yesterday I purposefully ran in the opposite direction. It's easier to spot the oncoming traffic (if you are attentive), but also gives you a little less time to get out of the way.

Perhaps, but in my experience they all just ride the fire roads, climbing all the way up to saaltjie, only to to take photos of the trailhead signs and go back down the same way again. 

So no loss there.

Same here, but i cant understand why descend a rutted, holed out jeep track when there is single track for descending.

Non the less, its getting very common here also now with runners on dedicated mtb trails. Tried speaking to a few, but people are way to aggro. If they cant read the signs then its their problem.

Only after you and Gen do  :P 

On a super serious hub note though...

Headshot posts how his dog attacks trail runners and their shoes on a thread about respect for other trail users and then has a fanny wobble when it's pointed out.

It illustrates the problem nicely though... he's frothing at people misusing his single track but yet has no consideration for how expensive running shoes are

I'll bring the Durex Cherry lube, Andrew ...

Okay, so as for your explanation after the one liner... Basically what you did was place a self serving interpretation on my story about the long dead dog. A nonsensical interpretation of my state of mind. To broaden your understanding of human psychology, Andrew, It is possible to find a story about a puppy attacking a runner's shoes  humorous, after the fact, as well as hold the view that respect for other trail users is important. There is no irony or contradiction in this even though you tried to manufacture some for whatever reason. 

At the time, around 15 years ago, poor little Bryn was a puppy. His behaviour was a source of great embarrassment even though it only happened a few times. I always apologized to the hapless victim. We took him to doggy training and managed to train this behaviour out of him quickly. He was a sweet mutt and was never aggressive with people, it was the bobbing day glo shoes he liked at the time. 

Had I said all that at the time, you'd have been disappointed because the cheap shot would have been harder to manufacture I think. 

By the way, I get that the last sentence of your post was meant to be funny...

I'll bring the Durex Cherry lube, Andrew ...

Okay, so as for your explanation after the one liner... Basically what you did was place a self serving interpretation on my story about the long dead dog. A nonsensical interpretation of my state of mind. To broaden your understanding of human psychology, Andrew, It is possible to find a story about a puppy attacking a runner's shoes  humorous, after the fact, as well as hold the view that respect for other trail users is important. There is no irony or contradiction in this even though you tried to manufacture some for whatever reason. 

At the time, around 15 years ago, poor little Bryn was a puppy. His behaviour was a source of great embarrassment even though it only happened a few times. I always apologized to the hapless victim. We took him to doggy training and managed to train this behaviour out of him quickly. He was a sweet mutt and was never aggressive with people, it was the bobbing day glo shoes he liked at the time. 

Had I said all that at the time, you'd have been disappointed because the cheap shot would have been harder to manufacture I think. 

By the way, I get that the last sentence of your post was meant to be funny...

Thanks for the clarity, it helps a lot to paint a clearer picture... your initial posts appeared to me to not be terribly well thought out, and of course I had no background, but I'm more than happy to move on with us all the little bit wiser. I don't throw out cheap shots despite how you may feel...  

No Cherry anything for me thanks (maybe a Cherry Hoegaarden at a push - but I much prefer the original)

Enjoy the trails  :thumbup:

Dang, and I traded my riding shoes for running shoes - both road and trail running shoes. Although I still have my riding shoes, and my bike, and my helmet etc.

Interesting enough, is that when the Mrs and I have gone for a trail run at the local mtb park, we haven't had any issues with the mtb'ers on the trail, yet.

Dang, and I traded my riding shoes for running shoes - both road and trail running shoes. Although I still have my riding shoes, and my bike, and my helmet etc.

Interesting enough, is that when the Mrs and I have gone for a trail run at the local mtb park, we haven't had any issues with the mtb'ers on the trail, yet.

It is the roadies on the mtb trails that you have to watch out for :ph34r:

Thanks for the clarity, it helps a lot to paint a clearer picture... your initial posts appeared to me to not be terribly well thought out, and of course I had no background, but I'm more than happy to move on with us all the little bit wiser. I don't throw out cheap shots despite how you may feel...  

No Cherry anything for me thanks (maybe a Cherry Hoegaarden at a push - but I much prefer the original)

Enjoy the trails  :thumbup:

GROUPHUG BOYS....GROUPHUG :clap:

Same here, but i cant understand why descend a rutted, holed out jeep track when there is single track for descending.

Non the less, its getting very common here also now with runners on dedicated mtb trails. Tried speaking to a few, but people are way to aggro. If they cant read the signs then its their problem.

I reckon that the level of aggro is directly related to how in the wrong they know they are. Getting caught out being a box seems to make people extremely defensive and then aggro.

Goes for cycling, running driving or pretty much everything I guess

My late Scottie dog used to deal with trail runners in his own way. In his youth he used to go for their day glo takkies as they ran past. I still remember one guy leaping a meter in the air as this black toothy dog went for his Saucony's. 

You obviously can't see any issue with this... 

You obviously have not taken a scottie dog for a walk before 

:D Big teeth strong jawed and even a stronger mind they have...

• 3 weeks later...

Its all the roadies fault :whistling: ...that we runners and cyclist have to now use trails to do our thing.... :devil: ...hehe..

I think for the most part ,,,any trail riding warrior OR trail running warrior worth their salt are generally a very friendly bunch...well in my areas at least...its normally a stop by both disciplines and exchanges of a few howdie do you do..

You will NEVER beat the trail so rather just go with the flow of it...no earphones....eyes open and take time to stop and smell the flowers and make friends along the waypost-136415-0-11378800-1549436132_thumb.jpg.......leave the PB,s for the elite few... :thumbup:

Edited by Kenty

Its all the roadies fault :whistling: ...that we runners and cyclist have to now use trails to do our thing.... :devil: ...hehe..

I think for the most part ,,,any trail riding warrior OR trail running warrior worth their salt are generally a very friendly bunch...well in my areas at least...its normally a stop by both disciplines and exchanges of a few howdie do you do..

You will NEVER beat the trail so rather just go with the flow of it...no earphones....eyes open and take time to stop and smell the flowers and make friends along the way 20180728_215600.jpg.......leave the PB,s for the elite few... :thumbup:

No ear phones.....

What are you suggesting!!!!!!!!!

Yes I remember BigH

and I agree with you.... personally hate seeing runners with earphones

Okay as a undercover trail runner, I will, from now on, slowdown and smile at mountain bikers whenever I pass them on an uphill.  Maybe even help them by offering too push them up the hill.....

:thumbup:  :devil:  :devil:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :w00t:  :w00t:

Seeing as this thread has gone off on a tangent...let me relay a little trail running story and a bike albeit a dirt bike not MTB...

Running my favourite Rainbows trail and start entering the rather technical kloof section AND I must add see dirt bike tracks there all the time BUT never actually seen one BUT have heard them in the distance on occasion...

This morning it was misty ..chilly and drizzly...I hear the dirt biker in the distance brraap bbrraapp(have to have sound affects) and think to myself ...quite lekker to hear a 4 stroke doing its thing , I also love dirt bikes , ...as Im chugging through the rocky wet kloof section ...SUDDENLY the 4 stroke sounds pretty close and ITS revving on the limiter...

I must add by this time I was pretty muddy...beanie pulled low and pretty wet...

As I get out of one steep little section I see the back end of a dirt bike sticking out of two large rocks and its upright...wheres the rider I skeem???....then I see him crouched by the front wheel and it looks like he is pulling...

I come up behind him and before I can greet he sees me ...this okie gets such a fright ..he moers over the edge into the little spruit and knee deep in mud and water...

Geezz...where you come from Bud??...I tune Im trail running....He tunes ...nooit...this area is for dirt bikes...never seen a runner here before...hehehe

Anyhow ..turns out he took a wrong turn...bombed down the trail and got his bike properly wedged between the rocks...took us just on 20 odd minutes to get it out and he was so thankful he even offered me a lift back to the community center where they park their bike trailers...

Moral of this boring little epistle....

Kom ons help mekaar n bietjie.... :thumbup:  ^_^

Edited by Kenty